No Quinto In Heroes Reborn
By: T'Bonz on Jan 26

Pine Responds To Pegg Writer Announcement
By: T'Bonz on Jan 26

Retro Review: Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges
By: Michelle on Jan 24

Urban in Aquaman?
By: T'Bonz on Jan 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy All your nerd stuff goes here.

Old January 5 2014, 04:26 PM   #16
shivkala
Rear Admiral

Re: HEROES: The "Essentials"

I'll add my voice to the choir, watch season 1 and then, if you don't have the time, just stop. I gave up early in season 3, after not enjoying season 2 that much.
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2014, 04:48 PM   #17
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Absolutely watch the entire first season. The show was heavily serialized but, if I have some time, I'll try and figure out what to watch for the rest so you average 11 episodes a season, although, to be honest, you could skip the rest of the show and possibly get more enjoyment (and I'm not convinced even later seasons were episodic enough to warrant skipping either).

There might be merit to skipping season 2 entirely, but I do think there are a couple of plot developments you may need to catch up on.
Old January 5 2014, 04:59 PM   #18
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

Forgive me, but trying to cherry pick episodes from a heavily serialized show is just silly. Anyways, I'll echo everyone else by saying that you should just watch the first season in its entirety and then stop. The show just goes off the rails after that, and the first season works well as a complete series.
Old January 5 2014, 05:17 PM   #19
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

It's funny, I watched the last half of S1 and S2, then missed the premiere of S3 and never got around to getting back to the show...and in retrospect I can only think it worked out for the best.
DonIago is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2014, 06:26 PM   #20
sojourner
Admiral

DonIago wrote: View Post
It's funny, I watched the last half of S1 and S2, then missed the premiere of S3 and never got around to getting back to the show...and in retrospect I can only think it worked out for the best.
Nope, you missed half of the first and best season. it would have worked out for the best if you'd just watched season 1.
Old January 5 2014, 08:26 PM   #21
Aldo
Admiral

I'll be the lone wolf here and suggest you watch it all. Don't cherry pick episodes, at least not with this series, as others have said it's a highly serialized show and you will be lost.

For my money, the first half of season 3 where all the "heroes" are being rounded up was the best outside of season 1.
Old January 5 2014, 09:02 PM   #22
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

^That was the second half of Season 3.

FWIW, if the OP's intent was to watch approximately 44 episodes, watching that many straight through would get him halfway through Season 3.
The Old Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2014, 09:17 PM   #23
3chordboy
Commander

od0_ital wrote: View Post
Yep, first season only. Screw the rest.
this
3chordboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2014, 09:38 PM   #24
FPAlpha
Vice Admiral

Damn that was a good time back then.

"Save the cheerleader, save the world" was such a cool and mysterious tagline and the episode "Company Man" has got to be one of the best character twist episodes i ever saw.

Shame it crashed and burned so hard after the first season.
Old January 5 2014, 09:48 PM   #25
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

It's a choir. Just watch the first season. It's not worth your time watching the rest, unless you like watching great shows go bad.
Old January 5 2014, 10:20 PM   #26
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

You'd be hard-pressed to find such a clear consensus on anything in these parts....
The Old Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2014, 11:02 PM   #27
DWF
Vice Admiral

I enjoyed seasons three and four as well as the first one, but the second was messed up partially by the strike and even more by a bad storyline IMO. But I thought the premise of ordinary people with extraordinary abilities trying to live normal lives, wasn't dispensed with at all.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2014, 11:12 PM   #28
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Yeah, watch the first season in its entirety. Seasons 2-3 just get more progressively painful. I didn't watch S4.
Old January 5 2014, 11:26 PM   #29
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
It's a choir. Just watch the first season. It's not worth your time watching the rest, unless you like watching great shows go bad.
I think it's a watchable show for the most part throughout, but it's just not a very good show and not anywhere near the quality of the first season.

For what it's worth, I thought the final season was the series in a microcosm. It started off decently strong before going completely off the rails.

My view on watching only the first season is more a statement that it's better to just watch the first and stop than it is to watch only parts of the first.
Old January 6 2014, 03:01 AM   #30
Vendikarr
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Vendikarr

DigificWriter wrote: View Post
Hi, all.

I'm about to start watching NBC's HEROES for the first time, but don't have the time to watch every single episode of the series.

Therefore, I'm starting this thread to ask anyone who's familiar with it to give me their thoughts on the 11 most "essential" episodes from each season (not counting S2, which I know only has 11 episodes) that I would need to watch in order to comprehend the series' basic overall narrative.

P.S.: Swift responses would be greatly appreciated.
Watch Season One, the first episode of Season Two, the final episode of Season Three and then Season Four. You can skip the rest.
"They have to help the viewers let go. Firefly did a movie to wrap things up. Buffy the Vampire Slayer continued on as a comic book. Heroes gradually lowered the quality season by season until we were grateful it ended.” - Sheldon Cooper
Vendikarr is offline   Reply With Quote