Two New Trek Bobble Heads
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Meaney On Playing Historical Figure Durant

Saldana: Balancing Work And Motherhood

Cumberbatch In Wax
By: T'Bonz on Oct 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old January 31 2014, 02:23 AM   #1
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Stargate games?

I was researching Stargate games lately, and am surprised there is none. All recent attempts at developing First Person Shooter, MMORPGs have failed already in the development stage, and the most recent mobile game Unleashed seems to be dead as well.

What's going on there? Not only would there be a good fanbase to build on, the whole concept of the show would lend itself for a nice FPS or Open World RPG.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2014, 02:44 AM   #2
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Re: Stargate games?

It's odd, isn't it? It seems like a franchise that would be a great one to make games out of, considering the near infinity of locations they could dial to, but for some reason there seems to have been quite a misfire.

Years ago, I found a great adventure game that captured the feeling of the movie and TV shows. To date, I think it's the only completed game:

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk...ames/game/634/
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2014, 02:54 AM   #3
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

None? Well someone didn't look very hard.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2014, 05:22 AM   #4
THE Robert Maxwell
Reports of my death...

View THE Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to THE Robert Maxwell

There are a handful of phone-based games on Android, possibly iOS. Check 'em out.
Old January 31 2014, 07:24 AM   #5
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

That SNES game repeats itself for hours and hours.

And Unleashed is dead? They just released a new chapter recently.
Old January 31 2014, 02:35 PM   #6
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

bigdaddy wrote: View Post
And Unleashed is dead? They just released a new chapter recently.
Well, the developer's website vanished and all their social media activities have ceased around November.

I saw a couple of Let's Play vids of Unleashed, and while it looks cool for a mobile game (and it's awesome that they got the whole cast to do the voices), it's also just that: a mobile game. I'm a sucker for Open World games like GTA, Assassin's Creed, and that's what would be cool to see.
Old January 31 2014, 03:07 PM   #7
THE Robert Maxwell
Reports of my death...

View THE Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to THE Robert Maxwell

I don't think Stargate is a big enough property for anyone to do that. You're talking about AAA games there. Stargate isn't a AAA franchise.
Old January 31 2014, 04:42 PM   #8
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
I don't think Stargate is a big enough property for anyone to do that. You're talking about AAA games there. Stargate isn't a AAA franchise.
That isn't even the problem. It's not that they produce a game and it doesn't sell. It's that they already fail at the development stage for whatever reason.
Old January 31 2014, 06:48 PM   #9
THE Robert Maxwell
Reports of my death...

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
That isn't even the problem. It's not that they produce a game and it doesn't sell. It's that they already fail at the development stage for whatever reason.
I'm not sure what you're saying. No one's going to make the kind of game you're talking about because you can't sell it to the bean counters. The gaming industry--the big players who dominate it--tend to avoid risk. Investing tens of millions of dollars (or more) into making a AAA open world game based on what is essentially a dead franchise would be a huge risk.

Anyone know how well the phone games are selling?

Don't get me wrong, I think a game where you could dial the stargate to dozens or hundreds of planets and explore them would be awesome, but it would be a considerable undertaking and it's a pretty tough sell from a corporate standpoint. Maybe if they came out with another movie and that was a big hit, it might be a realistic possibility.
Old January 31 2014, 08:10 PM   #10
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

Probably not the intended topic, but there was a Stargate SG-1 pen/paper RPG put out by AEG about ten years ago. It looks like it was only in existence a short time and then was canned when MGM lost the license to produce games. I can't imagine it sold well. A local gaming shop had a single set of the rulebooks on their shelves for a long time until I finally bought them.

For what it's worth:
That RPG is reasonably interesting but it has a lot of holes or aspects that weren't well thought out. At least from the perspective of what I need in an RPG. Fortunately it's d20 based, so I was able to import a lot of material directly into the SG-1/D&D hybrid that I'm running. That worked fine without having to actually conduct the gameplay that AEG had in mind. Any remaining holes were covered when I imported material from the d20 Modern game and its supplements as well.

I know it sounds insane, but I managed to make it work.
Silvercrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2014, 09:49 PM   #11
{ Google Spy }
{ mostly harmless }

If you just want to kill some time and have more fun than any actual Stargate game could ever be you should read up on that Stargate MMO they were developing that ended up being a huge Ponzi scheme planned by a very dodgy guy who owned the company.
{ Google Spy } is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2014, 10:02 PM   #12
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

Interesting. There was also a Stargate game released on the Game Boy. It's some weird sort of Tetris like game. I think you're trying to match the 7 chevrons?

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2014, 03:51 AM   #13
Shakaar
Captain

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
I'm not sure what you're saying. No one's going to make the kind of game you're talking about because you can't sell it to the bean counters. The gaming industry--the big players who dominate it--tend to avoid risk. Investing tens of millions of dollars (or more) into making a AAA open world game based on what is essentially a dead franchise would be a huge risk.

Anyone know how well the phone games are selling?

Don't get me wrong, I think a game where you could dial the stargate to dozens or hundreds of planets and explore them would be awesome, but it would be a considerable undertaking and it's a pretty tough sell from a corporate standpoint. Maybe if they came out with another movie and that was a big hit, it might be a realistic possibility.
I disagree. This would be much less riskier than throwing millions into a completely original property with no fan base at all. Mass Effect, The Last of Us, Assassin's Creed, were all original properties when the were approved for financing and they've done pretty well. At least Stargate has a built-in fan base, however small.

Besides, there have been many questionable games made from lesser properties in the past. As has been stated, Stargate hasn't even had a release of note to test the waters, so to speak.
Old February 1 2014, 05:26 AM   #14
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

I'm sorry but I have to agree with the others, there is too great a risk and no real fan base. Developers take risks with new games because if they work out they own the games, they can make movies and what not. Whomever makes a Stargate game would never own the whole thing.

Stargate is dead. If there were to be a game it be 15 years ago, but back then the tech and type of game Stargate would be wasn't popular.
Old February 2 2014, 02:56 AM   #15
USS Triumphant
Rear Admiral

There is a fun and fairly well done Stargate RPG, but it probably isn't what you're looking for, because it isn't electronic.
http://www.amazon.com/Stargate-SG-1-.../dp/1887953957