Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old January 14 2014, 07:58 AM   #1
BobtheGunslinge
Lieutenant

What is your Personal Canon?

We all have some movies or episodes we wish didn't exist. Sometimes, there are single aspects of otherwise great series that we could do without. With the new reboot and the Trek Lit dueling timelines version of canon, Star Trek is a very easy series in which to have a canon cafeteria, where one can take what one likes and leave the rest. Do you have a preferred Personal Canon? If so, what is in it? What makes you keep what is in your Personal Canon? Or what do you throw out and why?

For my own version of canon, I tend to be a bit OCD about inclusiveness, yet I'm a natural born hater, so I have probably put a sad amount of time into thinking about this.

For the TV shows, I tend to think of TOS as its own series when I'm in a TOS mood, or as an 'inspired by real events' fictionalized history when I'm in a TNG mood, which is more often the case. I also consider Voyager to be highly embellished so I can keep some of the elements I like such as the ship itself and the EMH, possibly a few episodes not about the Borg. Enterprise either never happened or it's in the altered Abrams timeline (which is fun but not 'real' Star Trek for me, either), barring a few elements that carry over into some of the novel I might include in my canon. TNG and DS9 are pretty much what I consider to be the real and best Star Trek (unless I'm in a TOS mood), and I consider 95% of them to be canon for me, except for some of the really stupid stuff and first season episodes.

For the movies, 5 is a dream, Insurrection is a poorly-written propaganda piece by Pakled dissidents (or something...it's just so bad) and Nemesis is just a starship fight. For me, Data is still alive, Kirk never met Picard, the Borg Queen is not as portrayed, the Baku planet doesn't exist, and Remans are just a race of Romulan...if they exist.

For the novels, I tend to include a lot of them that don't involve the TV show characters during the run of the shows. SCE is in. Vendetta, not so much.
BobtheGunslinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2014, 08:07 AM   #2
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.
Re: What is your Personal Canon?

I'm a canon literalist, if it's on screen it's canon. I like trying to fit in the glitches with in world explanations.

I have yet to fail. CANON BABY.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2014, 08:34 AM   #3
Cookies and Cake
Admiral

I hate to be that guy, but I'm going to be that guy. A clear discussion really can't occur without someone being that guy. Best to get it over with.

What the OP is talking about is continuity, not canon.

Every aired episode and theatrically released film is canon. Also canon is the first pilot. Both original and remastered visual effects are canon. Arguably, different official edits of films, especially such as TMP, are also all canon.

What episodes and which versions go into personal continuity is the real question. I get even more fine-grained than that!

I'm not going to give an exhaustive answer to the question, because that would take too long. In the broad strokes, every episode, including all of TAS, is in my personal continuity. In most cases, the original effects and edits are the ones that I prefer. However, where there are conflicts in the details, that's when there are issues that require decisions to be made. Although I admit the broad strokes, I don't admit all the details into personal continuity, because that leads to contradictions, although I'm often willing to leave things ambiguous. The same thing can be said for exceedingly dumb episodes such as "Spock's Brain": the broad strokes are generally OK, but in the details things can get quite stupid.

Just as one example, "A Taste of Armageddon" is a great TOS episode, but it has an internal conflict with respect to just how people manage to beam down with the shields up or without the Enterprise getting destroyed. I have no preferred way of resolving the conflict, although I know it exists. Something canonical in the episode can't be held to literal truth in my personal continuity, but push hasn't come to shove, so I don't really know (or care) what it is. There are numerous such examples throughout Star Trek canon.

As a second example, in the "Court Martial" in my personal continuity, Kirk doesn't really say, "By installing a booster, we can increase that capability on the order of one to the fourth power." That's mathematical nonsense which means that there is no increase in capability at all. I don't know what he says in personal continuity, but it's not that. He says something that actually means that the capability is increased by some impressive amount, that is sufficient to achieve the effect that they require.
Old January 14 2014, 08:48 AM   #4
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
I hate to be that guy, but I'm going to be that guy. A clear discussion really can't occur without someone being that guy. Best to get it over with.

But.. I love that guy!

You have saved ST:V

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2014, 09:07 AM   #5
SantaSpock
Fleet Captain

View SantaSpock's Twitter Profile

I don't see how TNG and DS9 are so much better or realistic than the rest of Trek when the fantastic elements such as Transporters, Warp Drive, Universal Translators, Aliens, Artificial Gravity, Hybrids Aliens etc are common to all series.

I don't see how the Crystalline Entity, the raised foreheads, the Prophets, the holodeck, betazoid telepathy, travelling between galaxies (with the Traveller), 24th century Klingons, the Q are any more realistic than elements in TOS or VOY or ENT even. I admit VOY used a lot of technobabble and dubious science but it was Geordi who invented technobabble.

I'm afraid everything on screen (including TAS) is canon to me. Like teacake I'm a slave to the rules.
I would like to remove GEN, "That Which Survives", "The Cloud Minders", "Spock's Brain" but they exist so I'll just ignore them.
SantaSpock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2014, 09:28 AM   #6
Santa Claus
Believe

Send a message via ICQ to Santa Claus Send a message via AIM to Santa Claus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Santa Claus Send a message via Yahoo to Santa Claus

Canon in D.
❄ A Joyful Holiday Season to You All! ❄

Santa Claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2014, 09:40 AM   #7
bountifulboxesjeg
Vice Admiral

I like to include some of the video games personally. Several used writers and voice actors from the show and they purposely fit them within the continuity (I think Voyager referenced to a video game once and DS9 featured ships that were in games first IIRC).

Anyone remember Star Trek: Borg?

http://youtu.be/UjQJKfG_p2o
bountifulboxesjeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2014, 09:53 AM   #8
Ensign_Redshirt
Commodore

I don't have a personal canon.

If I had, it probably were a Smith & Wesson.
Ensign_Redshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2014, 09:56 AM   #9
bountifulboxesjeg
Vice Admiral

A computer screen is a screen, am I right?

Last edited by bountifulboxesjeg; January 14 2014 at 11:12 AM.
Old January 14 2014, 10:23 AM   #10
Captain Rob
Commodore

Ensign_Redshirt wrote: View Post
I don't have a personal canon.

If I had, it probably were a Smith & Wesson.
When I saw the thread title I thought "My personal canon is my two 9 MM semi-automatic pistols. However, I resist shooting them 'Tomb Raider' style."

I tend to go along with the "Everything seen on screen or in theatres" line. Except there may have been errors in transmission or editing to account for some issues. We can't see everything that happens aboard a starship. Now if we had a series like Star Trek 24. Where we see everything in real time.
Old January 14 2014, 11:21 AM   #11
F. King Daniel
Admiral

Everything in VERY broad strokes, varying a lot depending on what I'm watching or reading at the time. It kind of amuses me when fans consider the spin-off series' to be the "true" Star Trek and not the original - and then complain that the new films, based on that original, are inconsistent with the version of the universe that we saw in their favourite spin-off.

It's something I love about Trek, how the additions and changes made in new iterations alter our perceptions of the old. It's fiction and it's meant to be fun, but too often fandom gets lost in "Nooooo, that's not like my preconception!"
Old January 14 2014, 11:27 AM   #12
bountifulboxesjeg
Vice Admiral

Personally, I put NuTrek in the same ballpark as the Mirror Universe. Part of the Prime timeline in their way.
Old January 14 2014, 11:29 AM   #13
Botany Bay
Commodore

No ENT
Capt. April and NCC1701
Capt. Pike commands for about 10yrs
Kirk 5YM inc. TAS
Kirk promoted to Admiral
TMP then another 5YM
Enterprise becomes training vessel and TWOK thru TUC. Many years between TFF and TUC.
No GENERATIONS, TOS crew retire.
TNG seasons 1-7, DS9 and VOY but no TNG films except FC.
"Sometimes I get the feeling the only way we could achieve a STAR TREK segment on budget would be to have 60 minutes of Mr. Spock playing kazoo solo as Captain Kirk holds him in his arms while standing in a telephone booth."
Bob Justman, 1967.
Botany Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2014, 11:33 AM   #14
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post

Every aired episode and theatrically released film is canon.
In a nutshell. Canon exists mostly for licensing and merchandising purposes.

As far as personal continuity goes, though, I simply go with all the TV shows and movies.
Old January 14 2014, 11:58 AM   #15
USS Triumphant
Rear Admiral

All of filmed Trek, except anything that contradicts Diane Duane's Vulcan/Romulan novels, which I take as a higher authority. Also, "Threshold" was the result of Q messing with the Voyager crew, and "Spock's Brain" was a tall tale being told by McCoy or Kirk as a joke, probably to someone while they were on shore leave in a bar somewhere.

I consider material from the other novels, and from the games, to be correct unless or until flatly contradicted by something shown on screen.

My continuity tracks run from TOS - VOY, and then from the events of FC up through ENT and on to the new movies. Until proven otherwise, I consider FC to be the point of divergence between the two timelines.