Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 5 2014, 01:54 PM   #1
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

HEROES: The "Essentials"

Hi, all.

I'm about to start watching NBC's HEROES for the first time, but don't have the time to watch every single episode of the series.

Therefore, I'm starting this thread to ask anyone who's familiar with it to give me their thoughts on the 11 most "essential" episodes from each season (not counting S2, which I know only has 11 episodes) that I would need to watch in order to comprehend the series' basic overall narrative.

P.S.: Swift responses would be greatly appreciated.

"Ze director's cut is ze film you saw in ze theater."
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2014, 02:01 PM   #2
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

Re: HEROES: The "Essentials"

It's been a while since I saw the show, but if you only want to watch 11 episodes of each season, don't bother.
Some would say, don't bother with anything past season 1.

I would recommend to commit to season 1 completely at least.
Timelord Victorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2014, 02:11 PM   #3
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

I really don't have the time right now to devote to watching the series in its entirety, or else I would.

Old January 5 2014, 02:13 PM   #4
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

Then restrict yourself to Season 1 if you want to just sample the show. It's the best but it is heavily serialized.
When you have more time you can get to the rest.
Watching the whole of season 1 will take you less time than watching 11 episodes of each season.
Timelord Victorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2014, 02:15 PM   #5
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

^ I'll see what other people say, but will keep your suggestion in mind.

Old January 5 2014, 02:40 PM   #6
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

I'll emphatically second what Timelord said. It's too serialized to cherry-pick episodes...you'll get completely lost. And in general, as someone who stuck with the show all the way through, I consider Season 1 to be an excellent limited series. The later seasons don't live up to its promise...it's all downhill from there.

If you get through Season 1 and feel that you want more, then Season 2 isn't that much more of a commitment...because of a (writers?) strike, they only did 11 episodes. Also, while Season 2 was considered a big disappointment at the time, in hindsight I feel that it's the closest to Season 1 in quality.

OTOH, if you don't have time for all 23 episodes of Season 1, then watch the first 11, up to and including the episode "Fallout", which was the mid-season cliffhanger.

If you're watching via a medium that includes the "Unaired Pilot", don't bother with it...it's an out-of-continuity alternate version of the first broadcast episode, "Genesis".
50 years ago on the week of April 4: With a little help from their latest #1 single, the Beatles occupy the top five spots on the Billboard Hot 100 chart--a feat yet to be matched.
The Old Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2014, 02:46 PM   #7
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

^ A writer's strike, yeah.

Thirding what's been said so far. It's very serialized, and Season 1 is easily the high point so if time is limited just go with that. I stuck with it all the way through too and it never was as good as that first season.
"Lie to me."
Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2014, 02:47 PM   #8
EnderAKH
Captain

Picking 11 episodes out of each season is like picking 11 chapters out of a 22 chapter novel. And the quality began greatly declining after season 1, so I would just treat Heroes as a one season miniseries.

Allons-y!
EnderAKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2014, 03:19 PM   #9
Mr Light
Admiral

The first season was extremely serialized so I don't know how you could cherry-pick it. Most people only like the first season so you could just quit there.

Personally I prefer Season 2 and the first half of Season 3, but you can absolutely stop when the first half of Season 3 ends. Nothing after that is any good. My favorite volume was actually Season 3 "Villains" but I seem to be in the minority on that one.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2014, 03:42 PM   #10
Christopher
Writer

I think season 4 was actually an improvement on seasons 2-3 in some ways. I mean, nothing can surpass the stupidity of the third-season 2-parter "The Eclipse," in which a total solar eclipse was seen everywhere on Earth at the same time and lasted for hours. (Okay, the same thing seemed to happen in the pilot as well, but at least then one could pretend that maybe the different eclipse scenes were happening at different times, since the characters hadn't begun interacting yet.) And that was just one facet of the awfulness.

But yes, on the whole, the only "essential" episodes of Heroes are episodes 1-23 inclusive. The original plan was to make each season a distinct story arc with distinct characters (maybe only a few overlaps), so all the characters' arcs were brought to a solid resolution in the first-season finale. Their story reached a satisfactory end. But then, since the actors were popular and networks are afraid to innovate, NBC insisted on keeping the characters, so the writers had to scramble to come up with new stories for characters whose stories had already ended. Thus, everything after season 1 is an afterthought, and it diminishes the impact of the first season's resolution.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2014, 03:51 PM   #11
jbny67
Commander

Even if you had the time to watch it all, I would recommend just watching the first season.
jbny67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2014, 03:51 PM   #12
MacLeod
Admiral

I'll echo the sentiments above and say watch S1 in it's entirety.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2014, 03:57 PM   #13
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital

Yep, first season only. Screw the rest.
Old January 5 2014, 04:00 PM   #14
trekkiebaggio
Vice Admiral

View trekkiebaggio's Twitter Profile

Yep, if you want to watch it watch the first season. After that you may be tempted to carry on. Don't.

Man of Yesterday - My blog: movie, books and board game reviews.
trekkiebaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2014, 04:01 PM   #15
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

I'll echo what Christopher said, S1 was great, and works well as a complete Series.

Season 2 and 3, I got some enjoyment out of, but, they weren't anywhere near as good as S1, and some of it was pretty bad. S4, started returning to form of S1, but still fell a little short (Though definitely more enjoyable then S2 and S3. I still wonder if it was Robert Kneffer as the main Antagonist that made S4 so much better than S2 and S3)

As almost everyone else has said, S1 is too serialized to cherry pick half of the episodes, and you will do yourself a disservice only watching half of the best of the show.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote