Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

New Trek Puzzles
By: T'Bonz on Oct 15

Star Trek Online: Delta Rising
By: T'Bonz on Oct 15

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old January 4 2014, 04:58 PM   #16
F. King Daniel
Admiral

Re: ST Film Franchise By the Numbers (via Startrek.com)

CommishSleer wrote: View Post
STID 2013 figure is now $276 million profit so it moves up to number 2.
Woohoo! *dances*
Old January 4 2014, 06:39 PM   #17
BigSnake
Rear Admiral

Botany Bay wrote: View Post
I think it's worth noting that the stated expenses are hard to take seriously. I remember in an accounting class a few years ago seeing an income statement for one of the Harry Potter films that made nearly $1 billion at the box office, yet according to the studio accountants, it lost hundreds of millions of dollars

Why? By the parent company (studio), charging the subsidiary (the film) 'fees' for making the movie.

The reason for this particular piece of 'earnings management' was to avoid having to pay people a % of net profits.
You know, I heard a similar story to this with Forrest Gump, where the author of the novel that was the story's basis never saw a dime because the studio claimed the film had lost money.

That sounds like it should be kind of... illegal?
Old January 4 2014, 09:18 PM   #18
Maurice
Vice Admiral

View Maurice's Twitter Profile

The more famous case is Buchwald vs. Paramount (link) over related to Coming to America and Paramount's dubious "Hollywood Accounting" by which they claimed the hit movie never made a profit as defined by the terms of their contract with Art Buchwald.
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2014, 04:00 AM   #19
Botany Bay
Commodore

BigJake wrote: View Post
Botany Bay wrote: View Post
I think it's worth noting that the stated expenses are hard to take seriously. I remember in an accounting class a few years ago seeing an income statement for one of the Harry Potter films that made nearly $1 billion at the box office, yet according to the studio accountants, it lost hundreds of millions of dollars

Why? By the parent company (studio), charging the subsidiary (the film) 'fees' for making the movie.

The reason for this particular piece of 'earnings management' was to avoid having to pay people a % of net profits.
You know, I heard a similar story to this with Forrest Gump, where the author of the novel that was the story's basis never saw a dime because the studio claimed the film had lost money.

That sounds like it should be kind of... illegal?
I'm not sure what the US accounting standards are precisely, but internationally these 'fake' revenues and expenses from dealings between a parent company and subsidiary are not allowed, and will be struck out by the accountant or auditor so investors reading financial statements can be assured they're only reading about legitimate revenues and expenses from transactions with third parties.

But for the Forrest Gump author, and Buchwald, a contract is a contract, and as long as the parties go into it with their eyes open (and there is no unconscionability or anything else that can have the contract voided in contract law, as there was in the Buchwald case), a deal's a deal, that's how the writer gets remunerated, so 'Hollywood accounting' lives on presumably.
"Sometimes I get the feeling the only way we could achieve a STAR TREK segment on budget would be to have 60 minutes of Mr. Spock playing kazoo solo as Captain Kirk holds him in his arms while standing in a telephone booth."
Bob Justman, 1967.
Botany Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2014, 07:05 AM   #20
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

CommishSleer wrote: View Post
Its really difficult to directly compare a 1979 movie with a 2013 one. TMP would have played for months and months at the cinema. How long was STID there - 2 months?
But, ST:TMP may have only been in one cinema per city for all those months.

Here Down Under, TMP opened in Sydney at the Paramount Theatre - just the one - in our Central Business District at the end of December, and was still playing till just before Easter. Then it moved to do two- or three-week runs at several suburban cinemas at a time. By the next August, it was playing little country cinemas and those suburban school holiday makeshift theatres in civic centres and town halls. It was a wait of several years for it to reach (very expensive) home video.

From ST V onwards, each Trek film was opening simultaneosly in every Sydney suburb that had a Greater Union-owned multiplex. In recent years, every multiplex seems to host every new big movie, but only for a few weeks. And in just a few months, the DVD/Blu-ray is out.

I personally remember Star Wars being there over a year.
I recall seeing a movie poster in the original CBD cinema showing it that boasted: "Our 14th big month!"
Therin of Andor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2014, 07:11 AM   #21
Maurice
Vice Admiral

View Maurice's Twitter Profile

The weird thing about Hollywood accounting is that for the studio to make the most money possible it has to simultaneously demonstrate that a film made a lot of money at the box office (read: it's a hit) and at the same time try to ensure that on the books it never turns a profit. They need the "hit" status because that helps them command top dollar when selling the film to television, etc. They also need the film to stay in the red or make minimal profit "on the books" for tax reasons and to avoid paying out "participation" to people who get a cut of the profits.

Sausage making...it's an ugly business.
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote