Voyager Bridge Via The Oculus Rift
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Miles Away Glyph Award Nominations
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Q Meets NuTrek Crew
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Pine In Talks For Drama
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

View Poll Results: Nemesis
Excellent 3 1.66%
Good 31 17.13%
Average 44 24.31%
Bad 48 26.52%
Terrible 55 30.39%
Voters: 181. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 6 2014, 07:58 AM   #76
cardinal biggles
Danny Donkey hates you

Send a message via ICQ to cardinal biggles Send a message via AIM to cardinal biggles Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to cardinal biggles Send a message via Yahoo to cardinal biggles
Re: Why Is Nemesis Unpopular?

jimbotron wrote: View Post
Though to be honest, I'm not much of a fan of any of the TNG movies. Even First Contact.
Same here. The TOS films and the Abrams films have more rewatch value for me.

I think part of why the TNG films never really worked that well was because they weren't really necessary. TNG wasn't cut down after only three seasons, it ran for seven, and didn't end abruptly, but rather amid enormous fanfare in an acclaimed two-hour finale that wraps up the show and its themes. Its movies didn't come after a decade of fans wandering in the wilderness, but rather six months later, sandwiched between the third season premiere of DS9 and the series premiere of Voyager. In retrospect, there's a certain sense of contractural obligation in the TNG films that isn't there in either the TOS or Abrams films: they're not doing this because they have an awesome story they want to tell, but instead because the suits at the front office expect them to.
cardinal biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2014, 01:18 PM   #77
Khan 2.0
Commander

interesting points. TNG films definitely had a extended tv episode feel to them esp GEN as everyone looked exactly the same as season 7 and it was on all the TNG tv sets/same uniforms etc. Basically TNG The Movie. INS felt like a rather dull two parter from season 6. FC &NEM had the most movie feel, and FC was riding the alien invasion wave of 96.

However TOS movies all looked/felt like big movies even the lower budget ones. Part of that was due to the big time gap, how everything and everyone looked different
Khan 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2014, 05:48 PM   #78
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Generations looked exactly the same as season 7?
Dude, you're losing credibility with statements like that.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2014, 05:57 PM   #79
Lance
Fleet Captain

Yeah, one thing Generations just can't be accused of is simply lighting and shooting those sets the way they were on TV. They did a lot of things to make them look different, in some cases dramatically so.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2014, 07:32 PM   #80
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

But the uniforms were essentially the same and all had been seen on TV. The bridge set was updated to a degree but still very recognizable even with the different lighting. The ships were all ships we had already been exposed too. Same computer interfaces as well.

The general look was very worn by the time Star Trek: Generations hit the screen. But having the movie premiere a scant six-months after the series finale left them little time to reinvent the look of TNG.

Then again, the new sets and ships created for Star Trek: First Contact were fairly ugly, so maybe time wasn't the issue?
Old January 6 2014, 07:44 PM   #81
Khan 2.0
Commander

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Generations looked exactly the same as season 7?
Dude, you're losing credibility with statements like that.
well the uniforms, sets etc & the fact the actors were exactly the same age..not a couple of years on like they wouldve been had they done Gen for 96 , with maybe TOS cast doing a Trek VII 93/94.

and i wasn't aware i had any credibility to lose
Old January 7 2014, 12:32 AM   #82
MrJ
Lieutenant Commander

Six pages about how Nemesis sucks and nobody posted the Plinkett review? Ok, here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZjkHUrEuHc
MrJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2014, 01:35 AM   #83
Mr Light
Admiral

I think another important reason for the dune buggy scene is that it was the only real piece of location shooting in the whole movie (aside from the brief wedding scene). If you cut that out, almost the entire movie takes place on a soundstage and it starts feeling a little small and television-y, like Wrath of Khan does.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2014, 01:51 AM   #84
urbandefault
Commander

Nemesis just wasn't a good movie. My opinion, they had worn out that cast's welcome by INS (which I like), and were at the point of being too old to do an action movie. At least with TUC, they stated outright that "this crew is due to stand down in three months" or something to that effect.

Everyone looked old and tired. The script was, well, not that good. Tom Hardy didn't do anything for me in his character. The only other movie I've seen him in is Dark Knight Rises, and in that he sounded to me like a bad imitation of Patrick Stewart.

The TNG cast should have just hung it up after INS. Again, all my opinion.
urbandefault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2014, 03:18 AM   #85
austen_pierce
Commander

I will watch and re-watch Nemesis for the Scimitar and the space battles. I lament Data's death, while ignoring B4 (Data is NOT coming back). I'll fast forward or skip the Troi-Riker-Perlman scene, while conceding that it does set up the psychic torpedo scene. IMO only Insurrection is worse (just plain boring).
austen_pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2014, 03:18 AM   #86
Khan 2.0
Commander

i think the idea was to do a multi crew cross over film or have a new 'movie crew' after the so so reaction to INS (and after it went beyond the standard 2 years inbetween) but someone wanted it to be a solo TNG movie (berman?) and they had abit of a job getting Stewart back
Old January 7 2014, 03:30 AM   #87
Kelthaz
Commodore

MrJ wrote: View Post
Six pages about how Nemesis sucks and nobody posted the Plinkett review? Ok, here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZjkHUrEuHc
SFDebris' review is pretty good too.

Nemesis was unbelievably terrible. I have issues with some of the other films, but in a "haha, that's bad" sort of way where I shake my head and move on. Nemesis literally made me angry from the stupidity of the film. It's just ... so insultingly stupid in so many ways. It hurts my head just thinking about it.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2014, 03:41 AM   #88
Armored Saint
Captain

urbandefault wrote: View Post
At least with TUC, they stated outright that "this crew is due to stand down in three months" or something to that effect.
Yeah and in Nemesis, what's stated is that Riker is finally accepting the captaincy of a starship. It's the end of fifteen years of procrastination. I really like First Contact, but there's a kind of stagnation in TNG movies. Between TWOK and TUC, the main characters are instructorss, then pariahs, heroes, explorers again, etc.
Armored Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2014, 04:10 AM   #89
cardinal biggles
Danny Donkey hates you

Send a message via ICQ to cardinal biggles Send a message via AIM to cardinal biggles Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to cardinal biggles Send a message via Yahoo to cardinal biggles

I think someone mentioned it on the first page, but here's The Facer's annotated Nemesis screenplay, which I found lurking in a dark corner of my hard drive.

download PDF
cardinal biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2014, 06:31 PM   #90
Richard Baker
Commander

I think it would have been interesting to have Patrick Stewart play both roles instead of Tom Hardy. No reason to change the script- not only would the whole clone thing be dead on but Stewart could pull it off well.
The two Dr. Bishops in 'Fringe' show how well two versions of the same man with two different histories could interact...
Richard Baker is offline   Reply With Quote