Voyager Bridge Via The Oculus Rift
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Miles Away Glyph Award Nominations
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Q Meets NuTrek Crew
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Pine In Talks For Drama
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old January 21 2014, 01:23 AM   #61
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital
Re: Movies Seen In 2014

The Devil's Double - Netflix Instant
MST3K: Future War - Netflix Instant
Deceptive Practice: The Mysteries and Mentors of Ricky Jay - Netflix Instant
Stephen King's Graveyard Shift - Netflix Instant
Charge - Netflix Instant
The Eiger Sanction - Netflix Instant
MST3K: Laserblast - Netflix Instant
The Joneses - Netflix Instant
The Reich Underground - Netflix Instant
In the Loop - Netflix Instant
The Other Man - Netflix Instant
Our Nixon - Netflix Instant
Broadcast News - Netflix Instant
MST3K: Final Justice - Netflix Instant
The Blob (1958) - HuluPlus
American Breakdown - HuluPlus
Spy Kids 3: Game Over - Netflix Instant
The Beast with a Million Eyes - Netflix Instant
Journey to the Center of the Earth (1959) - Netflix Instant
Escape from Alcatraz - Netflix Insant
River of No Return - Netflix Instant
The Apartment - Netflix Instant

Watched the first six episodes of Being Human's (U.S.) third season last night.

Decided to watch some movies today.

Started with the classic JttCotE. Was a bit concerned when it started out with bagpipes and duelin' geologists, but it turned out to be pretty good, all things considered.

Followed that with EfA, a classic Clint Eastwood film based on the only successful escape from the federal penitentiary a year before it was closed.

And then RoNR, an Western set in the Pacific Northwest gold rush, with Marilyn Monroe and Robert Mitchum. Now, Mitchum has the sort of rough & tumble features that fit for just about any era, especially horse & rifle sort of one. But Monroe just looked far too modern in that movie. Wearin' blue jeans, bleach blonde hair, and such...it just didn't work.

Watchin' the Jack Lemmon classic The Apartment now...an hour into it, pretty good movie.
Old January 21 2014, 08:25 PM   #62
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

2014 First time viewed films:
1. Saving Mr.Banks: A
2. American Hustle: A-
3. Larry Crowne: B+
4. The Grey: C
5. Real Steel: B-

About 20 minutes into the film I realized why I opted not to see this in the theater. I find films with obtuse, strong headed children who are treated as equals while being disrespectful and bratty to be something I can't "suspend disbelief" for. Elves, Magic, Superheroes and Warp Drive sure, all day long. Not bratty kids.

The fact that Hugh Jackman's Charlie is an admitted deadbeat and ran out on the kid(Max) and his mom is considered. I get letting the kid blow off some steam in a scene or two but for Charlie to not assert some discipline, even if Max would resist it, in a fatherly way should've been done more in the film.

Charlie is down and out in life and if not for the Pity of an old(?) flame in Evangline Lilly's Bailey he'd have nowhere to go. Her dad trained Charlie back before robot boxing ruined the traditional method.

The robot Max scavenges is used to form a bond between he and Charlie. The final acts also shows how the robot, Atom, has rekindled Charlie in Bailey's eyes as well. The latter was the better told story.

As much as the bratty kid Max bugged me the overall story worked within itself fairly well. I'm glad I saw it but it's not one I'd ever own and watch repetitively.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2014, 05:55 AM   #63
od0_ital
Admiral

^

I went to the theater for that one, and liked it. My nephews enjoyed it when I showed it to them, too.

As for the kid bein' a brat, yeah, makes sense, its how he was growin' up, and that Hugh Jackman's father didn't correct him or was ignored when he tried to lay down the law just showed that he was a bad father with a nonexistent relationship with the kid up to that point.

It certainly made sense to me, anyway...
Old January 22 2014, 04:06 PM   #64
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

22. Ender's Game ★★★ - It's not a bad adaptation story wise, but some of the acting was atrocious. I HATE bad voiceovers and this was filled with them when Ender was writing his letters to Valentine. I thought the dream/game sequences were kind of silly too. The battle games were fun to watch, though.
Old January 22 2014, 08:38 PM   #65
od0_ital
Admiral

Charge - Netflix Instant
Rewind This! - HuluPlus
Ping Pong - Netflix Instant
Schooled: The Price of College Sports - Netflix Instant
Bronies - Netflix Instant

I watched four documentaries yesterday.

First up, RT! which focussed on the rise of VHS vs Beta, and how B-movie fans keep collectin' tapes since that's the only way to get certain titles not upgraded to DVD/blu ray. It reminded me quite a bit of Adjust Your Tracking, another VHS collector's documentary I saw last year at the Alamo Drafthouse - Ritz. And some of the same people were interviewed for both.

PP was documentary focussed on the international over-80s ping pong tournament in China, with geriatric competitors from Europe, the U.S. an China. It wasn't too bad, actually. It was part of a series of documentaries the Alamo Drafthouse showed last spring, but I missed it when it played at the Village.

STPoCS was an interestin' look at the NCAA and how its evolved as college sports has become such a moneymaker for universities over the last few decades, and how everyone can make money at it except the players.

That was the twenty-fifth "new to me" movie of the year, too.

And finally, Bronies, which was produced, starred & narrated by John de Lancie (Star Trek's Q) and took a look at the older male demographic of fans of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. I'm not a fan of the cartoon, haven't watched a full episode ever, and this look at its fandom didn't make me want to start.

Startin' the fifth season of The Shield via HuluPlus today.
Old January 22 2014, 10:28 PM   #66
zakkrusz
Rear Admiral

Updates in Bold:
Black Rain (7)
Heat (1995) (8)
Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit (9)
Lone Survivor (8)
Tales From Earthsea (5)
Old January 22 2014, 10:31 PM   #67
Pondwater
Fleet Captain

I saw "The Nut Job" Monday. Kind of cute.
Old January 23 2014, 08:27 PM   #68
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

6. Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit: B

I've seen all the Jack Ryan films in theaters so I felt a bit of obligation to the character to check this out. I was 13/14 when Hunt for Red October came out. Just old enough to have seen some Connery Bond films, seen him with Harrison Ford the year before and all the trailers made the sub sequences look intense, I was there. I recall thinking then there weren't many teens in the audience.....not much has changed except now I'm not a teen.

It's a solid film in and of itself. While watching it I didn't note any glaring omissions or plot holes. Someone may point them out, I'm going to pop in to the review thread later, but at the time I felt on first viewing it holds up. The pacing is done well and the elements come together in the finale nicely.
Chris Pine does solid work and the trailers don't do justice to the analytical work noted in the film. The trailer just shows his action moments. While I've never read a Jack Ryan novel(I know I should) it's clear from the Baldwin/Ford years that his analyst, almost detective like mind is his biggest asset.

Kevin Costner as his handler is a nice touch of Hollywood royalty involved in this incarnation. My biggest issue is with how they wrote Keira Knightly's Cathy as a very insecure, nosey individual who was as much a hinderance at times as an asset.

Overall a worthwhile film but it only has about 2 sequences really that scream "cooler" on the big screen. And I do like more than that when I pay full theater price. My honest assessment is if you can see it for $5-8 at the cinema you should. I'd like to see another installment now that the "groundwork" film is out of the way. I paid $12 cause the matinee show options at Nashville Regal chains are not convenient for my schedule. If it's a Netflix/Redbox viewing for you I don't think you'll feel disappointed at all.
Old January 24 2014, 06:50 AM   #69
od0_ital
Admiral

Charge - Netflix Instant
Rewind This! - HuluPlus
Le Lac Des Zombies - Netflix Instant
Cockneys vs Zombies - Netflix Instant
Humanoids from the Deep - Netflix Instant

Watched a few horror films today.

LLDZ (aka Zombie Lake) turned out to be a French film from the early '80s set about a decade after WWII. The story is Nazis that were killed by French villagers and thrown into a local lake come back as zombies and terrorize the village. Bad makeup, poor actin', subtitles and lots of female nudity...

CvZ was pretty damn funny, in the same vein as Shaun of the Dead and Zombieland. Added bonus - it had a Bond Girl and a Doctor Who companion. And quite a bit of humor, my favorite bein' the senior citizen with a walker / zombie chase scene.

And finally, HftD (aka Monster), another early '80s monster movie. At least this one was made in America and dealt with genetic engineerin' creatin' a new breed of sea monster that kills men, rapes women, and provides quite a bit of boobage for the viewer.
Old January 24 2014, 06:52 AM   #70
CaptainCanada
Admiral

5. Frances Ha (B+)

Vacationing in New York for a few days, I decided to spend the first evening in (Broadway shows booked for the next two evenings), so there's time to get acquainted with American Netflix, as opposed to Canadian Netflix that I normally use. Much more selection. Though in a strategic error I actually watched something that's also available in Canada. Will have to squeeze one or two actually unavailable films in before I leave.

I've not seen any of Noah Baumbach's previous films, but I liked this one. The presence of Greta Gerwig makes me associate this with Whit Stillman, since she co-starred in Damsels in Distress; the black-and-white cinematography and focus on the NYC arts scene also had some echoes of Broadway Danny Rose, though more episodic (again, rather like Stillman). The film has a loose arc around the maturation of the title character, played very engagingly by Gerwig, whose desired career as a professional dancer is slipping away even as her rock-solid friendship with her friend Sophie is running into difficulties; but it's overall told in a slice of life manner.

Cinema: 3
DVD: 0
Computer: 2 (+1)

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2014, 07:26 PM   #71
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

6. Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit: B
7. Just Go With It: A-

I must say I was a bit impressed with this off of center comedy. Especially coming from Adam Sandler as it wasn't a film about bathroom jokes, homophobia and general gross out moments as many of his comedies tend to be.

I found the film to have a not to subtle message that "it's whats on the inside that counts". Yes I know the outside of both Jennifer Aniston and Brooklyn Decker is like choosing between Chocolate Shake or Chocolate Ice Cream. Throughout the course of the film you see the interests, life experiences, shared experiences, humor, music etc are what ultimately shows Sandler's character which beauty is really the most beautiful to him in the long run.

Contrast that with Nicole Kidman's Devlin and her man Ian and how shallow and forced their relationship is it gives the film some comparative balance.

It's possible I'm giving the film more credit than the writers intended, but it's there.
Old January 25 2014, 05:43 PM   #72
Agent Richard07
Admiral

2. Pain & Gain (✩✩✩✩) - Download - The true story of a group of bodybuilders who decide to kidnap a guy and steal his fortune. Stars Mark Wahlberg and Dwayne Johnson. Directed by Michael Bay. I don't think I've ever seen a movie where all the main characters get internal dialog voiceovers. Otherwise, this one was pretty good. It told a serious story with a bit of fun and quirkiness. You could also see some of Michael Bay's style but it wasn't his usual fare.

3. Runner Runner (✩✩✩) - Download - Justin Timberlake gets caught up in Ben Affleck's illegal gambling ring in Costa Rica. Trouble ensues. It's actually not a bad thriller but it does get a bit convoluted and fizzles a bit in the last two-thirds of the movie. I can see why it got panned but like I said, it's not that bad.

4. Battle of the Year (✩✩) - Download - Josh Holloway has to train a crew of B-Boys (like break dancers) for a big competition in France. Never heard of B-boying before. The movie isn't very good. It's trying to be something, the usual story of courage, perseverance and overcoming personal loss probably, but it fails. Caity Lotz is also in it. Both she and Josh are up in Vancouver doing their respective shows Intelligence and Arrow. I wonder if they keep in touch.

5. Byzantium (✩✩✩) - Netflix - A British/Irish production about two vampires trying to get by. It wasn't very engaging but it's always nice to see Saoirse Ronan. And Gemma Arterton isn't bad as a stripper.

6. Our Idiot Brother (✩✩✩) - Netflix - Another Paul Rudd movie but it wasn't one of his better works. It wasn't as funny and had a very unpolished direct-to-video quality. Too bad, because it had a pretty impressive cast that included Zooey Deschanel, Elizabeth Banks, Rashida Jones, Emily Mortimer and a handful of others.

7. The Spectacular Now (✩✩✩½) - Download - Boy meets girl movie but it had some substance. It's also nice to see Shailene Woodly's career advancing.

8. Blue Jasmine (✩✩✩) - Download - I liked the story about a wealthy socialite losing everything after her husband pulls a Madoff but I didn't think it was one of Woody Allen's better efforts. Not as good as Match Point, Vicky Cristina Barcelona or Midnight in Paris if you ask me.

Netflix: 2
Live TV: 1
Download: 5
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2014, 11:51 PM   #73
od0_ital
Admiral

Charge - Netflix Instant
Rewind This! - HuluPlus
Le Lac Des Zombies - Netflix Instant
Cockneys vs Zombies - Netflix Instant
Humanoids from the Deep - Netflix Instant
The Haunting in Connecticut - Netflix Instant
The Haunting in Connecticut 2: Ghosts of Georgia - Netflix Instant

Watched a bunch of first season episodes of SeaQuest DSV yesterday.

Since I have the house to myself today, I decided to watch a couple of low grade horror films.

THiC is "based on a true story" about a family who's oldest son is dyin' from cancer in the mid 1980s. Because the drives back and forth are too far for him to handle, the mother decides to get a house in Connecticut. Turns out the house used to be a mortuary in the late 19th century/early 20th century. And the mortician stashed the bodies in the walls of the basement while also holdin' séances in the home.

Very meh of a movie.

Followed that with its sequel, "based on a true story" set in Georgia. Same sort of thing, a family moves into a new house and found out that its haunted. This time, its because the house was a stop on the Underground Railroad, and the homeowner would, from time to time, taxidermy the runaway slaves instead of lettin' 'em go on to the next stop.

At least it had Katee Sackhoff (Battlestar Galactica, Bionic Woman reboots).

And now I'm back to watch the first season of SeaQuest DSV.
Old January 26 2014, 05:04 AM   #74
Tom Hendricks
Commodore

View Tom Hendricks's Twitter Profile

1. Frozen
2. Turbo
3. The Last Stand
4. Jack Reacher - I like Tom Cruise, as an actor. All the other stuff I ignore, most peoples personal lives I don't care about. That goes double for Actors, singers and other celebrities. I just like to judge what they bring to the table or the screen. Tom Cruise has always been one that delivered in every performance. He has never phoned in a performance. He has been in some bad movies, usually not because of him. I kind of liked Jack Reacher but it also kind of bored the hell out of me. It was kind of well written, it was kind of well directed, it had a kind of style. However it fell completely flat, it was like everything was moving in slow motion. I have never read the books, but I'm aware of the "discrepancy" of the character. To me it didn't matter, Tom Cruise's intensity always seams to win out. So he was perfect for this role. However every other character was paint by numbers, they had no life what so ever. The only character besides Reacher to even seam interesting was Emerson. I blame that solely on the actor. The actress who played Helen, Rosamund Pike seamed like she was always staring into a bright light, she brought very little to a role that had actually even less to offer. I imagine that they will make another one of these. I hope they can make the next one a little more exciting.
Tom Hendricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26 2014, 05:52 PM   #75
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

1) Her (2013) - A
2) Saving Mr. Banks (2013) - B+
3) The Dallas Buyers Club (2013) - B
4) Frozen (2013) - A

Dallas Buyers Club

This was a really interesting movie on the Aids epidemic and the ignorance about it in the 1980's. This is probably the performance of Mcconaughey's career, and it was so odd seeing him go from this Hollywood heartthrob to really serious actor here. Jered Leto also gives a very good performance as his Transgendered business partner. There were some slow parts, but overall it was a really well done film that should have been promoted a little more.

Frozen

My review is here. Let's just say it was not what I was expecting, and I mean that very positively.

Netflix
Theater: 4 (+2)
Itunes
Blu Ray/DVD/TV

Last edited by SJSharksfan39; January 26 2014 at 07:05 PM.
SJSharksfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote