IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old August 25 2014, 09:53 PM   #391
Dr. Tom Horrible, PHD
Tom Hendricks

View Dr. Tom Horrible, PHD's Twitter Profile
Re: Movies Seen In 2014

Kick Ass 2 - HBO go on Apple TV - I was looking for a movie to watch last night and happen upon this. I liked the first Kick Ass or should it have been called Hit Girl? So I was expecting Kick Ass 2: The Rise of Hit Girl or Kick Ass 2: The Hit Girl. I was pleasantly surprised it wasn't that at all. In fact they toned down Hit Girl and I don't think for the better. Sequels are usually not as good as the original and thus is the case with Kick Ass 2. While the movie is still rated R, it's not the same R as the original movie. In fact, I believe this could have been PG-13. The only reason it didn't get that was actually because of language not violence. I still hope they get to make Kick Ass 3 or Kick Ass 3: You're only back because of Hit Girl.

Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.
Dr. Tom Horrible, PHD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2014, 10:48 PM   #392
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Just finished Inbetweeners II.

So much better than the last one.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2014, 02:24 AM   #393
Dr. Tom Horrible, PHD
Tom Hendricks

View Dr. Tom Horrible, PHD's Twitter Profile

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
Just finished Inbetweeners II.

So much better than the last one.
Ugh, I loved the show but I haven't seen either movie yet. Thanks for the reminder.

Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.
Dr. Tom Horrible, PHD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2014, 06:02 AM   #394
CaptainCanada
Admiral

76. Life Itself (A)

Growing up in the early 1990s, I always knew Siskel and Ebert as the gold standard for whether a movie was worth seeing, though I couldn't yet appreciate film criticism; as such, Siskel never really became a major figure in my understanding of movies, as he was dead before I started reading reviews, etc., and watching the show (and there my viewership was erratic, as we were already getting into the internet age). Ebert, though, was a titan, and I've read countless reviews of his. This documentary is a lovely tribute to his life and passion for film, though at times it really just made me want to read Life Itself the book, which clearly (and inevitably) has far more detail. The footage of Ebert and his wife Chaz in his final months is extremely moving, especially Chaz's description of his death.

Cinema: 32 (+1)
DVD/Blu-Ray: 21
Streaming Service: 23

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2014, 12:31 AM   #395
Danny99
Vice Admiral

1) Wargames - B+
2) Play The Game - B
3) Battle Los Angeles - B+
4) Despicable Me 2 - B
5) Minority Report - C-
6) District 9 - B+
7) How Do You Know? - F

8) Walk The Line - A-
9) The Butler - A+
10) Captain Phillips - B
11) Sky High - C+
12) Draft Day - B-
13) Nuremberg - B
14) Love & Other Drugs - D
15) We Were Soldiers - B+
16) A Walk To Remember - D+
17) Gridiron Gang - C
18) 42 - B

19) The Monuments Men - A-
20) The Rebound - D-
21) Saving Mister Banks - A-
22) Last Vegas - D+
23) Jack Ryan - Shadow Recruit - B-
24) Maleficent - D
25) Now And Then - C
26) Machete - B
27) 3 Days To Kill - B-
28) The Secret Life Of Walter Mitty - A-
29) Escape Plan - A-
30) Hotel Transylvania - B+

We had my fiancee's nephews over, so we pulled this from the Redbox and for a kids movie, I was impressed.

Adam Sandler was subdued, finally, and Cee-Lo Green as a mummy was hilarious.
Old August 31 2014, 12:58 AM   #396
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

1) Her (2013) - A
2) Saving Mr. Banks (2013) - B+
3) The Dallas Buyers Club (2013) - B
4) Frozen (2013) - A
5) Wolf of Wall Street (2013) - B
6) Rush (2013) - B+
7) Blackfish (2013) - B
8) The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014) - A
9) Captain America: Winter Soldier (2014) - A
10) X-Men: Days of Future Past (2014) - B
11) Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (2014) - B
12) Edge of Tomorrow (2014) - A-
13) The X Files: Fight the Future (1998) - B
14) Guardians of the Galaxy (2014) - A
15) Dead Poet's Society (1989) - B
16) Boyhood (2014) - A+
17) Chef (2014) - B+

John Favreau's Chef was given a re-release this weekend and it was a movie I've been really wanting to see all summer. I really enjoyed it, but I was expecting something a little different. When I saw the trailer, I was reminded of Pixar's Ratatouile, in that here was a film that might show the art of cooking, and the creative mind behind it. That's not really what Chef is. It's more about a guy who starts to get down on his luck and takes a journey to rediscover his craft of cooking and connect with his Son. I'm not entirely sure if this movie was really about cooking, or getting up when you're down, or how Social Media has made it easy to criticize and market what you do. It was a great movie, but I wish the cooking aspects of it would have been at the forefront.

In fact, when I left the theater one of the things I thought to myself was the scene during the mid-credits was my favorite scene of the movie. I won't spoil it, but let's just say it was the kind of thing I was hoping the overall movie would focus more on.

Netflix
Theater: 13 (+1)
Itunes: 2
Blu Ray/DVD/TV: 2
Old August 31 2014, 01:57 AM   #397
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Time Quest (2000) B+

Kennedy said that space exploration was more important than Viet Nam, and the Future looked like a much nicer place

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2014, 04:10 PM   #398
CaptainCanada
Admiral

77. Being John Malkovich (A+)

I recall seeing Adaptation, the second Spike Jonze/Charlie Kaufman film in theatres in 2002 when it came out (well, it was likely early 2003, based on how the theatres in my hometown work; I also recall that I got my parents to take me to that movie, which was, in retrospect, probably about as weird a piece of work as my father ever saw onscreen), but it took another twelve years for me to get around to seeing the first one (I've seen some of Jonze and Kaufman's work independent of each other as well in the intervening years).

Beyond the basic premise I still didn't know much about the movie, and I was surprised at how dark a lot of this is. I had the idea that this was going to be more like Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind in terms of being set mainly inside the subject's head, which isn't the case at all (though the brief bit of Cameron Diaz chasing Catherine Keener points the way toward that later film). Cusack's character goes an especially dark route, and when you think about it, the ending of the movie is both depressing and quite creepy (especially as Charlie Sheen will apparently be one of the people planning to take up residence inside that little girl's mind). Nowadays people have more of an idea of what to expect from Kaufman and Jonze, but I'd love to know how they pitched this movie to investors (and to John Malkovich). The movie also made me wish that the movies were making more effective use of Catherine Keener.

Cinema: 32
DVD/Blu-Ray: 22 (+1)

- Homer Simpson
Old September 1 2014, 05:31 PM   #399
zakkrusz
Rear Admiral

Recently Seen:
The November Man (7)

Running Total: 58
Old September 1 2014, 09:25 PM   #400
CaptainCanada
Admiral

78. The Young Girls of Rochefort (A)

My fourth Jacques Demy film, and the second of his full-colour musicals starring Catherine Deneuve (this one also features her older sister Francoise, who sadly died shortly after this was released). This is usually called a companion to The Umbrellas of Cherbourg, but they are in many ways contrasts -- the former was sung-through, this is a more traditional musical with songs and dialogue separate; the former was a tearjerker, this is much more buoyant; and dancing, which was omitted from the former, is definitely a major part of the movie. The plotting is a feather-light series of serendipitous meetings and missed connections, which glides along (with an unexpected musical number about a serial killer thrown in for good measure).

79. Wadjda (A+)

Rewatching this movie for the first time since I saw it in theatres. Life Itself featured a clip of Roger Ebert talking about how he viewed movies as empathy-generating machines that allow people to stretch outside their own experiences, and this look into the life of a young girl in Saudi Arabia is one I'm sad he never got to see. Its look at that society is fascinating, and besides that, the titular Wadjda (Waad Mohammed) is a terrific character that I think anybody could relate to.

DVD/Blu-Ray: 24 (+2)

- Homer Simpson
Old September 2 2014, 09:16 PM   #401
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

48. Land of the Lost: C-
49. Expendables 3: B-
50. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: B
51. Never Let Me Go: D
52. Ghostbusters 30th Anniversary viewing: A

Never Let Me Go: I found this "sci-fi" tale to be very dull. It's based on a novel where the concept is essentially that science has figured out how to keep us alive well past the age of 100. In order to do so humanity has instituted "organ farms" for lack of a better term. "Crops" of kids are grown up w/ the sole purpose to be living tissue batteries for the chosen/elite of society. The film doesn't state how kids end up at these "boarding schools" that I recall. If it did it wasn't clear to me. There is rumors among those living there that you can get a "deferment" and be allowed to opt out of the donor program if you prove you can be of worth to society but late in the film it's revealed that's just a myth.

I suspect this film is playing on the caste system and/or slavery that mankind has done to each other throughout the millennia. That is where is commentary lies. That everyone is deserving of a chance to be the best they can be. That the circumstances of your birth should not be a hinderance.

I get that, if my takeaway is right, it's just that I found the story, the characters, the acting the "sci-fi"(cause it feels like Downton Abby's 2nd cousin vs futuristic) and direction to be listless for me.

Ghostbusters: I normally wouldn't add this to my list cause my list contains new to me films or rewatches for first time in 10 years but I'm making an exception. Good time. Wish it had been a cleaned up print but the atmosphere was great and my girlfriend hadn't seen it since she was a teenager so watching her respond to material like new was fun as well!
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2014, 08:35 PM   #402
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

96. Leprechaun: Origins 1/2
97. Guardians of the Galaxy ★★★ 1/2
98. Frank ★★
99. Palo Alto ★★ 1/2
100. The Pact ★ 1/2
Old September 5 2014, 05:56 AM   #403
Shamrock Bones
Agent Richard07

2014 summer movies seen in viewing order… (12 Movies)

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (3D) (✩✩✩½)
Godzilla (✩✩✩✩)
X-Men: Days of Future Past (✩✩✩✩)
Edge of Tomorrow (3D) (✩✩✩✩½)
22 Jump Street (✩✩✩✩)
Transformers: Age of Extinction (3D) (✩✩✩½)
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (3D) (✩✩✩✩)
Hercules (✩✩✩½)
Lucy (✩✩✩✩)
Guardians of the Galaxy (3D) (✩✩✩✩½)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (3D) (✩✩✩½)
The Expendables 3 (✩✩½)

In 2D: 6
In 3D: 6
Shamrock Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2014, 04:19 PM   #404
CaptainCanada
Admiral

80. Donkey Skin (C+)

The fifth of six films in the Criterion Jacques Demy collection, and the weakest of the five. The film is an adaptation of a Charles Perrault fairy tale, but given that it involves a king deciding that he wants to marry his daughter, I can see why Walt Disney left this one alone. The film is a pretty obvious homage to Jean Cocteau (including casting Jean Marais as the king), but I don't think this really works, for reasons that are both aesthetic and inherent in the source material. "Donkeyskin", from what I've read of it, isn't a terribly strong source story (it ends up being a discount version of Cinderella, but with a much more warped premise that drains the story of its relatablility). Moreover, Demy approaches the story from what he explains as a child's perspective, which deprives it of what could have been the most compelling element (the horror aspect of the father's designs). Catherine Deneuve as the princess is nice to look at, but there's not much for her to work with here.

DVD/Blu-Ray: 25 (+1)

- Homer Simpson

Last edited by CaptainCanada; September 5 2014 at 04:31 PM.
Old September 8 2014, 02:56 PM   #405
CaptainCanada
Admiral

81. Une chambre en ville (A+)

You can tell this one is obscure because its title isn't translated into English, unlike all the others. After following Demy's film career in a more or less linear manner for the 1960s (apart from skipping over a film called Model Shop between The Young Girls of Rochefort and Donkey Skin), the Criterion collection vaults a full decade into the future, over several films, to this operatic musical set in a 1955 metalworker strike. As the booklet suggests, the film is one of Demy's best, and if it's not as well-known as his major 60s musicals, that's a shame. It's a truly fascinating product, a very serious musical, and grittier than the previous ones (this one has bloody violence and full-frontal nudity). Unlike the other musicals, this one isn't scored by Michel Legrand, which is a definite change of pace; the new composer does a great job, though the range of motifs for the various characters is eclectic to the point of being distracting in one or two places. I've provisionally ranked this first among Demy's filmography, but I think I need to rewatch this and Umbrellas to really sort that out.

82. The Lady Eve (A)

I rewatched this last night because it's The Dissolve's movie of the week, and it's been a while since I've seen it. When I watched Preston Sturges' filmography a few years ago this probably ranked as my second- or -third-favourite (one of the three films of his that I consider in the top tier, alongside The Palm Beach Story and Sullivan's Travels). It's a fascinating film, structurally; the opening segment almost feels like the climax of another movie in its own right, before switching locations and the debut of the titular "Lady Eve". Barbara Stanwyck, who is now mainly remembered for Double Indemnity, is terrific as the lead, and in contrast to her most famous role she's a ton of fun. Sturges tends to be at his weakest with me when he's relying on pratfalls and other physical humour, which is minimized here.

DVD/Blu-Ray: 27 (+2)

- Homer Simpson