RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 147,069
Members: 26,068
Currently online: 624
Newest member: NigoDeannaDress

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old August 19 2014, 06:57 PM   #376
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Re: Movies Seen In 2014

46. Guardians of the Galaxy: A-
47. Wreck It Ralph: A
48. Land of the Lost: C-
49. Expendables 3: B-
50. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: B

Wreck It Ralph: What a great nostalgia trip while creating new characters to tell the narrative. Worth all the accolades I'd heard about it.

Land of the Lost: w/Will Ferrell and Danny McBride. It's not fair to say I went in expecting some serious flick given the source material. However, Ferrell did not deliver on this at all. I found a few things to enjoy but overall it's very forgettable.

Expendables 3: This film starts strong and ends strong. The problem I feel is the second act in the middle. The premise of EX was to take established action film icons of yesteryear and throw them together for the cheesy one liners and zany action scenes. In EX3 they are trying to make me care about MMA sports stars as movie action stars....and they aren't. The film would've been better served giving more screen time to Snipe, Gisbon, Banderras and Ford in the middle. I would say Grammar but that's his only time in the film is the second act.
I feel piracy hurt it, then that word of mouth further spread poison about the film in ways you can't put metrics to. It's not a bad film, it isn't. It's not perfect and I pointed that out but when it's doing what it should such as in Acts 1 & 3 it's a fun ride.

TMNT: I was prepared to really hate this. While they clearly made some changes for the sake of doing so it's got the spirit of the characters down. I found Shredders way overly stylized armor get up unnecessary and counter to ninja ways. In that same vein Mikey with his beads, Donnie with his metal equipment backpack would also be too noisy to be effective at stealth. Also, please tell me why beings who live in dark sewers and don't go out at day time are carrying sunglasses? Megan Fox is adequate and for her skill set is not damaging in this role.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2014, 10:13 PM   #377
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

"Hello Matt, I'm here to advertise my new book "Matt Lauer can suck it.""

The One I love.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2756032/

Surprisingly science fiction, but really just a massive episode of the Twilight zone in movie format. Freaking little thing were an unhappy couple run a foul of dopplegangers becuase they think they have found a door to an alternate universe where there are sexier cooler versions of themselves waiting to be seduced.

Funny, fucked up and then a little scary.

A minus.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2014, 10:37 PM   #378
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

^^^
Yep, the Today Show interviews with Lauer were great! Some nuggets in there to like but overall LotL was a one and done viewing for me.

"Honestly, I was surprised your legal team signed off on our title."
Old August 20 2014, 06:03 AM   #379
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital

Under the Skin - DVD
Sabotage - DVD
Lewis Black: Old Yeller - Live at the Borgata - Netflix Instant
Emperor - Netflix Instant
Robin Williams: Weapons of Self Destruction - YouTube
Guardians of the Galaxy 3D - theater
Batman: Assault on Arkham - DVD
You're Next - Netflix Instant

Watched the indie horror film last night since I remember the Alamo Drafthouse promotin' it heavily last summer.

And there was even a killer and the movie title painted on the outside of the old South Lamar location for quite awhile...seems like it was there before the movie premiered.

Anyway, I watched it last night, and it was actually pretty good. Had some gory action, suspense, and a nice twist to the end. And the end credits were pretty good, too.
Old August 21 2014, 03:22 AM   #380
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
"Hello Matt, I'm here to advertise my new book "Matt Lauer can suck it.""

The One I love.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2756032/

Surprisingly science fiction, but really just a massive episode of the Twilight zone in movie format. Freaking little thing were an unhappy couple run a foul of dopplegangers becuase they think they have found a door to an alternate universe where there are sexier cooler versions of themselves waiting to be seduced.

Funny, fucked up and then a little scary.

A minus.
Thanks for letting me know this was available!

Last edited by Starbreaker; August 21 2014 at 07:23 PM.
Starbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2014, 06:00 AM   #381
CaptainCanada
Admiral

72. Oliver Twist (A-)

Rewatched David Lean's 1948 version of the iconic Charles Dickens novel (his best story of the ones that I've read, in my opinion) in preparation for writing an essay on it. It's a very good film, particularly strong in the opening segments, though Lean condensing of Dickens' plot is unsatisfactory in a few places (he retains Monks, for instance, but excises basically all the explanation for who he is, which I imagine would be rather confusing for anyone who hadn't read the book). I also don't really care for Kay Walsh's Nancy.

73. The Umbrellas of Cherbourg (A+)

The third film in the Jacques Demy Criterion collection, and the only one I'd heard about before, though I didn't really know much about it. Having seen it, I can definitely see the influence on something like Populaire, the 2012 French film I watched recently. The bold use of colour is extraordinarily striking, especially in the first section of the film. Initially I wasn't sure how the sung-through dialogue would work with subtitles, but as the film wore on I got used to it and began to pay attention to the rhythms of the actual French dialogue behind the subtitles, so rhymes, etc. were more obvious. Catherine Deneuve is luminous as the female lead.

Cinema: 30
DVD/Blu-Ray: 21 (+2)
Streaming Service: 22

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2014, 06:46 AM   #382
od0_ital
Admiral

Under the Skin - DVD
Sabotage - DVD
The Nut Job - Netflix Instant

Watched a silly animated movie about a squirrel tryin' to get a nut last night.
Old August 21 2014, 07:25 PM   #383
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

95. The One I Love ★★★ 1/2. There's a point in this movie where you can't take your eyes off the screen for fear you'll miss something. Highly recommended. What would you do if you met your better half's better half?
Old August 23 2014, 03:43 AM   #384
CaptainCanada
Admiral

74. Bernie (B+)

I've now seen five Richard Linklater films, all of them starting with the letter B. The only remaining entry in his filmography with that same letter is Bad News Bears, though, so that trend is unlikely to be continued by the next film of his that I see (whatever that will be). This was a low-key 2011 release, which has gotten a bit more attention as time has passed. It's the least-compelling of the five Linklater films I've seen, but it's perfectly charming, and certainly an oddball take on a murder story (though I can see why the family of the victim would have disapproved). It's great to see Jack Black stretch himself more than 99% of his films do.

This film has an odd postscript, involving the actual Bernie being released for prison to get psychiatric help, on the condition that he live with Richard Linklater. Laudable for Linklater to remain involved in the case, though the reasons for his release (past abuse) hint at a more in-depth characterization of Bernie that is missing from the film.

Cinema: 30
DVD/Blu-Ray: 21
Streaming Service: 23 (+1)

- Homer Simpson
Old August 23 2014, 04:30 AM   #385
Tom Hendricks
King of the Wicker People

View Tom Hendricks's Twitter Profile

Amazing Spiderman 2 - On Demand - While I didn't hate AS1, I didn't really like it that much either. I actually didn't mind the changes to the Spiderman mythology, the movie was just not really that good and I didn't like Andrew Garfield as PP/SM. So here we are with AS2, while a better movie, it actually maybe even more boring than AS1. At times it feels like it moves at a snails pace, even during the action scenes. The movie still has the same lame humor as in AS1, I know Spiderman is suppose to be funny. However the dreck they used for humor in this is just plain awful. Spiderman saves people from a fire, comes home and doesn't wash his face. Aunt May catches him, he tells her he was cleaning the fireplace. Aunt May says they don't have a fireplace. I knew this was going to be the joke when I saw him in bed with the black face. It this level of humor that does these AS movies in. While the movie is begging to be taken some what serious, you can't because of the witless humor. For some reason the transitions between scenes really bothered me, so I'll add poorly edited to this as well.

I kind of liked Jamie Foxx as Electro, his original story is kind of lame but I liked how he played the character. Dane Dehaan was okay as Green Goblin, meh. I still don't like Andrew Garfield as SM, I guess his acting style just so resembles Hayden Christensen. The best person in this was of course Emma Stone, her Gwen is the only thing that feels right in these movies.

The best part of the movie for me is the ending, starting with Gwen Stacy's death. That was the only thing in the movie that was tonally right. I wish they would have give PP more time to emote, just a few more frames. I actually loved the showing of PP standing over her grave in different seasons, again it actually gets you emotionally involved. However the best scene of either AS1 or AS2 was when the boy puts on the Spiderman costume to confront Rhino. It was simply the best and most emotional connecting scene in the movie. Whats funny, these last few scenes feel totally tacked on. The movie should have ended with her death and funeral.

When is AS3 coming out? Not soon enough, only makes us wait for the next reboot all that longer. While I'm always glad to have more superhero movies and especially Spiderman, these can't get out of here fast enough. Keeping the faith, true believers.

Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.
Tom Hendricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2014, 08:48 AM   #386
sjsharksfan39
Admiral

View sjsharksfan39's Twitter Profile

1) Her (2013) - A
2) Saving Mr. Banks (2013) - B+
3) The Dallas Buyers Club (2013) - B
4) Frozen (2013) - A
5) Wolf of Wall Street (2013) - B
6) Rush (2013) - B+
7) Blackfish (2013) - B
8) The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014) - A
9) Captain America: Winter Soldier (2014) - A
10) X-Men: Days of Future Past (2014) - B
11) Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (2014) - B
12) Edge of Tomorrow (2014) - A-
13) The X Files: Fight the Future (1998) - B
14) Guardians of the Galaxy (2014) - A
15) Dead Poet's Society (1989) - B
16) Boyhood (2014) - A+

Boyhood might be my favorite film this year. For one thing, the comittment to do this film in a 12 year span was awesome, but the movie experience was fantastic. I didn't think I would love this movie considering the run time and the 12 year gimmick, but Linklater made it work.

The plot of this movie is simply about growing up, but I think the thing that affected me the most was I really got attached to these characters. I found Samantha annoying at first, but she improved as she grew up, and the Mason character was really well done. I remember when I saw all the Harry Potter Films, it was like watching the boys and girl grow up in front of our eyes. Here, the kids grow up in one film, and I felt for them each step along the way. When there was bad things going on, I, and the theater, gasped, such as when Mason is driving and looking at a picture on the phone, or when the kids are spending time with their father and you see how much fun they have. This really is a wonderful film and I hope it's nominated for Best Picture at Awards time.

Netflix
Theater: 12 (+1)
Itunes: 2
Blu Ray/DVD/TV: 2
Old August 24 2014, 05:41 AM   #387
od0_ital
Admiral

Under the Skin - DVD
Sabotage - DVD
The Nut Job - Netflix Instant
Mr. Warmth: The Don Rickles Project - Hulu Plus

Watched a look at the life & career of comedian Don Rickles via Hulu the other day. Pretty interestin' look, and some funny stuff, too. Lots of big name talkin' heads, too.

My favorite were the clips from Johnny Carson's The Tonight Show.
Old August 25 2014, 12:22 AM   #388
Pondwater
Rear Admiral

Expendables 3. I much enjoyed it.
Pondwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2014, 04:22 AM   #389
CaptainCanada
Admiral

75. Sin City: A Dame to Kill For (C+)

2005's Sin City seemed to herald many bold new developments in Hollywood, at least some of which have come true. Stylized CGI visuals, so new at the time, have become much more familiar in the intervening years (including another Frank Miller work, 300), for instance. But the suggested rise of Frank Miller was aborted almost immediately, with the failure of The Spirit putting paid to the idea of him as a director, and this sequel shambled into theatres nine years after the original, having missed its optimal release date by about seven years. It's now on track to be one of the biggest flops of the year. The intervening nine years haven't been kind to Robert Rodriguez either.

All that said, what does the sequel have to offer? It's gotten some pretty punishing reviews, much of it deserved, though it's interesting to consider to what degree it's actually worse than its predecessor, and to what degree the more negative reaction is how tiresome Frank Miller's schtick has become in the intervening years. I think both factors are at work. Yes, these days, it's impossible to ignore that Miller has the worldview of a caveman, and his work wallows in cheap violence and misogyny. At the same time, the sequel is inferior in many respects. It severely overuses Mickey Rourke's Marv, for instance (one side effect of this being that the new sequence with Nancy seeking to avenge Hartigan becomes a semi-copy of the adaptation of "A Dame to Kill For", as both involve the hero enlisting Marv to help them storm a mansion full of goons). The action doesn't seem nearly as kinetic and interesting as it did last time (I was amazed at how boring much of the fighting is). The world feels largely repetitive at this point. And it inexplicably puts the movie's emotional centre in the hands of Jessica Alba.

The main positives for the movie are two performances. The first of these is Eva Green, who was the best thing (by far) about the earlier Frank Miller waited-too-long-to-come-out sequel 300: Rise of an Empire, playing a femme fatale. In the hands of Frank Miller, this is a character whose supposed seductive allure is treated as if she magically exudes sex pheromones -- all the same, Green (who, based on her role choices, clearly enjoys camp) gives this character her all. The second is Powers Boothe, whose Senator Roark was a minor part of the first movie; here he's the main villain, and Boothe plays this one-dimensional villain role to the hilt.

Cinema: 31 (+1)
DVD/Blu-Ray: 21
Streaming Service: 23

- Homer Simpson
Old August 25 2014, 07:02 PM   #390
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

^^^^^
I'm still hoping to see this. Your review isn't as brutal as some so I'm chalking that up to perhaps more objectivity. Especially since your main positives are my factor for going. It being a comic adaption second as I try to see most in theaters when possible.