Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old August 8 2014, 05:56 AM   #361
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital
Re: Movies Seen In 2014

Under the Skin - DVD
Sabotage - DVD
Lewis Black: Old Yeller - Live at the Borgata - Netflix Instant

Tried to see a Dragon Ball Z movie with my nephew at the Carmike 9 in Lufkin today, and that didn't work out, despite the websites for both the theater & Fandango sayin' there would be a show to go to today.

Wound up rentin' movies, instead.

He picked Fast & Furious 6, which I've seen before, and I went with Sabotage, since I missed it in theaters.

Freakin' waste of time that was...bunch of tough guys actin' tough, with a couple of women in the mix, some missin' money & a murder mystery ya just can't give a damn about.

...meh...

At least it was a rental - I can take it back to Hasting's tomorrow & get store credit for the next rental.

Watchin' Lewis Black on Netflix now. If ya like him, watch it, if not, don't.
Old August 8 2014, 10:44 PM   #362
CaptainCanada
Admiral

66. Looper (A+)

A rewatch for the first time since I saw it in theatres back when it came out. Few movies have ever sneaked up on me like this one did. I hadn't paid attention to it at all prior to a few days before release, when it began getting positive reviews, so I decided to go see it. It was one of my favourite films of 2012, and it holds up on rewatch. It's also a great case of how movie marketing can contribute to an experience by wholly withholding parts of the story (in this case, everything to do with Emily Blunt and her kid). Between this and Moonrise Kingdom, Bruce Willis was in two of my top films for that year, and this is one of his best performances.

67. Footloose (B+)

I vaguely recall having seen pieces of this film before on cable (particularly Bacon's speech to the town council about dancing), but this is the first time I actually sat down and watched the whole thing (inspired by Star-Lord's telling of the legend of Kevin Bacon in Guardians of the Galaxy). In truth, it's not coherent enough to be a truly great teen movie (Bacon's music-video-length dance sequence in the middle of the film feels completely out of place, especially), but it's highly enjoyable nonetheless, with one of most toe-tapping soundtracks of the 1980s (which was the golden age of the movie soundtrack), and a charismatic lead performance from Kevin Bacon. John Lithgow's quasi-antagonist is also given a lot more shading then he'd have in most movies of this type.

Cinema: 30 (+1)
DVD: 15
Computer: 20

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2014, 02:30 AM   #363
zakkrusz
Rear Admiral

Recently Seen:
Mr. Popper's Penguins (7)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2014) (7)

Running Total: 54
Old August 10 2014, 04:57 AM   #364
FelizNavidad
Admiral

View FelizNavidad's Twitter Profile

1) Her (2013) - A
2) Saving Mr. Banks (2013) - B+
3) The Dallas Buyers Club (2013) - B
4) Frozen (2013) - A
5) Wolf of Wall Street (2013) - B
6) Rush (2013) - B+
7) Blackfish (2013) - B
8) The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014) - A
9) Captain America: Winter Soldier (2014) - A
10) X-Men: Days of Future Past (2014) - B
11) Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (2014) - B
12) Edge of Tomorrow (2014) - A-
13) The X Files: Fight the Future (1998) - B
14) Guardians of the Galaxy (2014) - A

This might be one of, if not my favorite, of the Marvel movies so far. It was funny, the characters were great, and there were a few times at the end where I got a little emotional. I think I'm loving everything Chris Pratt is in right now, and if he (my favorite actor) and Tatiana Maslany (My favorite actress) starred in a movie together, no matter how bad it might be, that might be a dream come true.

I also got a big Farscape vibe from this movie. It was a space adventure with a main character spouting off pop culture references that no one else gets. I also loved the soundtrack and have had "Hooked on a Feeling" in my head since I've gotten home.

Netflix
Theater: 11 (+1)
Itunes: 2
Blu Ray/DVD/TV: 1

sjsharksfan39
FelizNavidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13 2014, 07:51 AM   #365
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital

Under the Skin - DVD
Sabotage - DVD
Lewis Black: Old Yeller - Live at the Borgata - Netflix Instant
Emperor - Netflix Instant
Robin Williams: Weapons of Self Destruction - YouTube
Guardians of the Galaxy 3D - theater
Batman: Assault on Arkham - DVD

Watched Emperor with my brother in law the other night. We both agreed it needed more Tommy Lee Jones, especially considerin' how prominent he is for the poster on Netflix, but he got third billin', and Mathew Fox was kinda bland in the WWII biopic drama.

Got in from work night before last, and did a YouTube search, to see what was there, and after watchin' a few clips from his appearances on The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson, I watched Robin Williams' last HBO special.

RIP, Mork.

Took my younger nephew to see GotG 3D yesterday evenin'. 'twas awesome. Not Marvel's best, but still pretty damn good. And we did stay for the two bonus scenes.

Rented B:AoA from Hasting's after the movie, watched it with both my sister's sons before they had to go to bed. All three of us liked it, but I don't think its the best from DC Animated, either.

Maybe I'm gettin' hateful in my old age...
Old August 13 2014, 06:53 PM   #366
CaptainCanada
Admiral

68. Lola (B+)

I purchased the Jacques Demy collection recently put out by Criterion, these being the first two of the six movies contained therein (and the two not in colour, which makes them atypical, especially as Demy's use of colour is one of the things people talk about the most with respect to his work). This is an ensemble drama set over a short period in the town of Nantes. It's the kind of film where it's a bit hard to describe what happens, the main focus being on character interactions (and the web of connections between characters), as they come to various resolutions about the course of their lives.

69. Bay of Angels (B)

A portrait of two gamblers, one a long-established compulsive, the other a burgeoning addict whose entry into the world forms the basis for the very slender story (which, after the characters meet, essentially becomes a cycle of them gambling and winning, then losing, then winning again, then losing again, etc., all the while vacillating between being vowing to quiet and realizing that they aren't going to). This is largely a character study, aided by a strong performance from Jeanne Moreau as the more world-weary gambler (my favourite line of hers is that what she does is obviously not about money, since you can see how she treats money when she has it).

Cinema: 29
DVD/Blu-Ray: 19 (+2)
Streaming Service: 21

- Homer Simpson
Old August 13 2014, 10:26 PM   #367
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

90. Boyhood ★★★★
91. Wolf Creek ★★★
92. Wolf Creek 2 ★★
Old August 14 2014, 06:08 PM   #368
CaptainCanada
Admiral

70. The Fisher King (C+)

For the seventieth film of the year, I decided to watch the one Oscar-nominated Robin Williams performance that I hadn't previously seen (though my memories of Good Morning, Vietnam are spotty). Williams is good in the movie, but I couldn't get into the film itself, unfortunately. This is the sort of stylized storytelling that either clicks with you, or it doesn't, and in this case I really couldn't get invested in Jeff Bridges' character or the interactions between him and Williams. There's some very good moments in it, mainly involving Williams and Mercedes Ruehl.

Cinema: 29
DVD/Blu-Ray: 19
Streaming Service: 22 (+1)

- Homer Simpson
Old August 16 2014, 06:50 AM   #369
CaptainCanada
Admiral

71. Boyhood (A)

I finally got a chance to see Richard Linklater's new film, which is probably the most acclaimed 2014 release to date (and it's difficult to imagine another film eclipsing it, given the rapture) a 12-year account of the boyhood of Mason, a fairly ordinary boy growing up in Texas. So: is it that good? Answer: almost, I think.

I would highly recommend the movie to anyone who has a chance to see it, as this is a unique cinema experience, and one that isn't likely to be replicated much. The level of luck/commitment on the part of the actors, as well as issues of budgeting (only an indie film could ever attempt this), preclude that (indeed, Linklater's daughter Lorelei, who plays Mason's sister Samantha, went through a stretch where she lost interest in it and actually wanted to be killed off at one point). The cast is largely unknown, apart from Patricia Arquette (as Mason's mother) and Linklater mainstay Ethan Hawke (as Mason's father). The film's quasi-episodic rhythm (there are arcs of a sort linking a number of the segments, such as the mother's second marriage) is fascinating, and feels very naturalistic.

My main reservation is concentrated in the last two segments (I know a number of people take issue with the earlier second marriage part, but I thought that worked very well, even if it is the most overt plotting in the film). By this point in the production, Linklater has clearly realized that this thing is actually going to be finished, and the extent of what he is on the verge of accomplishing, and I think a few of his writing decisions verge on gilding the lily (I'm thinking especially of the sequence when he gets to college), taking the film more into the more stylized philosophizing of Linklater's Before... series.

I'll probably see this again, so I may revise this grade upward to A+ in the future, depending on how my opinions settle regarding it.

Cinema: 30 (+1)
DVD/Blu-Ray: 19
Streaming Service: 22

- Homer Simpson
Old August 16 2014, 07:03 AM   #370
Harvey
Admiral

I liked everything about it except for the scene in the restaurant where the manager thanks the mother. That felt too pat (although it did really drive home how much time had gone by). All in all, though, a fantastic film. I need to see the Before series.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2014, 07:08 AM   #371
CaptainCanada
Admiral

The scene with the restauranteur and the the extended college bit were the only parts I would really have changed. I liked most of the other callbacks in the final segment (the various other character returns worked, like the family they stayed with after leaving the first stepdad). I was kind of hoping for some mention of Mindy and Randy, but I knew Linklater would leave their situation ambiguous to the audience.

I'm a huge fan of the Before... trilogy (which prefigures this in a number of ways).

- Homer Simpson
Old August 16 2014, 08:46 AM   #372
zakkrusz
Rear Admiral

Recently Seen:
Anohana-The Flower We Saw That Day: The Movie (8)
Dragonball Z: Battle of the Gods (7)
Expendables 3 (8)

Running Total: 57

Last edited by zakkrusz; August 17 2014 at 05:04 AM.
zakkrusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2014, 07:41 AM   #373
FelizNavidad
Admiral

View FelizNavidad's Twitter Profile

1) Her (2013) - A
2) Saving Mr. Banks (2013) - B+
3) The Dallas Buyers Club (2013) - B
4) Frozen (2013) - A
5) Wolf of Wall Street (2013) - B
6) Rush (2013) - B+
7) Blackfish (2013) - B
8) The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014) - A
9) Captain America: Winter Soldier (2014) - A
10) X-Men: Days of Future Past (2014) - B
11) Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (2014) - B
12) Edge of Tomorrow (2014) - A-
13) The X Files: Fight the Future (1998) - B
14) Guardians of the Galaxy (2014) - A
15) Dead Poet's Society (1989) - B

With the unfortunate death of Robin Williams this past week, I was looking for Robin William's movies that I have not seen yet and came across Dead Poet's Society, which is one that I really wanted to see. I DVRd it and watched it tonight, finally, for the first time.

I really enjoyed the Keating parts to this movie. It was teaching the students to be free thinkers, instead of conforming to the standards the school has laid out, as strict as they are. While I didn't cry, I got really emotional during the Neil suicide scene, and the aftermath almost made me uncomfortable (Which is a good thing for a movie) considering the events of this week. That ending when they all get on the desks and say "Oh Captain, My Captain" was really powerful stuff.

The parts of the movie I didn't really enjoy was dealing with the students outside of class, and outside of the society meetings. It came across as a bit more of a teen film and I felt the plotlines involving falling in love with a girl kind of detracted from the movie. Still, Robin Williams is worth the hype for this film, and while I can't say it's my favorite performance of his (Honestly, his Mrs. Doubtfire role I thought was his best, especially the court scenes) it was a great role.

Netflix
Theater: 11
Itunes: 2
Blu Ray/DVD/TV: 2 (+1)

sjsharksfan39
FelizNavidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2014, 03:29 PM   #374
Danny99
Vice Admiral

1) Wargames - B+
2) Play The Game - B
3) Battle Los Angeles - B+
4) Despicable Me 2 - B
5) Minority Report - C-
6) District 9 - B+
7) How Do You Know? - F

8) Walk The Line - A-
9) The Butler - A+
10) Captain Phillips - B
11) Sky High - C+
12) Draft Day - B-
13) Nuremberg - B
14) Love & Other Drugs - D
15) We Were Soldiers - B+
16) A Walk To Remember - D+
17) Gridiron Gang - C
18) 42 - B

19) The Monuments Men - A-
20) The Rebound - D-
21) Saving Mister Banks - A-
22) Last Vegas - D+
23) Jack Ryan - Shadow Recruit - B-
24) Maleficent - D
25) Now And Then - C
26) Machete - B
27) 3 Days To Kill - B-
28) The Secret Life Of Walter Mitty - A-
29) Escape Plan - A-

I didn't expect anything more than an action movie from this, but there was some really good performances, not only from the stars (Stallone, Schwarzenegger) but from others as well. Jim Caviezel was an awesome villain and Faran Tahir as their enemy turned friend. It was also great to see Sam Neill, even if he didn't do much.

The plot is a little farfetched, but still interesting none the less.

The only real downfalls of the movie are that I had Vincent D'Onofrio pegged as the bad guy in the first five minute and that when it comes to these movies, you are waiting for that action line for one of the two stars and neither of them get it. Truth be told though, I was waiting for Arnold to scream "Get to the choppa!" in the climax.
Old August 19 2014, 06:40 PM   #375
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

93. The Fault in our Stars ★★★1/2

Really an incredible movie. I was especially impressed by Willem Dafoe's short but sweet scenes. Shaklee Woodley isn't bad to look at either.

94. Maleficent ★★

Ugh... the first 30 minutes are good, but then it just falls apart. I wasn't expecting much, but maybe a little more than this.