TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old July 27 2014, 04:22 AM   #331
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Re: Movies Seen In 2014

57. Populaire (B+)

When I was studying in England last summer I repeatedly walked past posters for this movie on the wall of a London cinema, and thought it was visually striking, but I never had time to see it while there (when in London, do stuff you can't do anywhere else). Slightly over a year later, I made the time to watch it on Netflix, having noticed it was available.

Populaire is a retro 50s-style romantic comedy (apart from a sex scene that frankly seems a bit out of place, it could easily have been made in that decade) about a young secretary (Deborah Francois) who, despite being terrible at most secretarial functions, is hired because her boss (Romain Duris, the white, French Alexander Siddig) witnesses her astonishing speed at typing (even using the "hunt and peck" method that she self-taught) and believes she has what it takes to become the global speed-typing champion (which in the world of this movie is a competitive sport watched with the fervour of the World Cup).

The two leads are both charming, though I think Duris' character is somewhat inconsistently written (they push his less sympathetic behaviours a bit farther than I think is probably advisable in what is ultimately a romantic comedy). The other main reason to see the movie is the superb production aesthetic, which is bold and colourful in a way that movies today generally aren't (I suspect that the director watched a lot of Jacques Demy, though his most famous works were in the 60s).

58. Tracks (B)

Australian film about Robyn Davidson, who spent seven months in 1977 walking across Australia accompanied by three camels and her dog. Well, not quite alone, as she's intermittently accompanied by a National Geographic photographer whose presence irritates her (despite the fact that they're the ones financing her trip), and also for a stretch by an Australian Aboriginal elder who she can barely speak with. Mia Wasikowska does well in the lead part. The sort of movie worth watching once, but probably of little interest to revisit.

Cinema: 27 (+1)
DVD: 14
Computer: 17 (+1)

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2014, 04:31 AM   #332
Agent Richard07
Retired

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
79. The New Year (✩✩✩✩) - Netflix - An independent slice of life film about a young woman who has to deal with an ailing father, work at a bowling alley and the two men in her life. If you like Kelly Trieste-Dunn, check it out.
Sorry, that's Trieste Kelly-Dunn.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2014, 10:22 PM   #333
Danny99
Vice Admiral

1) Wargames - B+
2) Play The Game - B
3) Battle Los Angeles - B+
4) Despicable Me 2 - B
5) Minority Report - C-
6) District 9 - B+
7) How Do You Know? - F

8) Walk The Line - A-
9) The Butler - A+
10) Captain Phillips - B
11) Sky High - C+
12) Draft Day - B-
13) Nuremberg - B
14) Love & Other Drugs - D
15) We Were Soldiers - B+
16) A Walk To Remember - D+
17) Gridiron Gang - C
18) 42 - B

19) The Monuments Men - A-
20) The Rebound - D-
21) Saving Mister Banks - A-
22) Last Vegas - D+
23) Jack Ryan - Shadow Recruit - B-
24) Maleficent - D
25) Now And Then - C
26) Machete - B
27) 3 Days To Kill - B-

You really do need three days to kill because this movie feels about that long. I really enjoyed Costner in the scenes where he is torturing or about to torture someone and his daughter calls and his on-going banter with the Muslim owner of the driving company that takes the villain around. He even stands up in the scenes where he is trying to re-connect with his daughter.

Where it falls apart is in it's believability. A miracle drug that helps hold off cancer? The fact that he flips the villain's henchman in front of a subway car in front of everyone and there is no one out looking for him afterward? Costner is just too rigid and too "old" to be convincing that he is actually an active agent before cancer fells him.
Old July 27 2014, 10:23 PM   #334
Green Shirt
Rear Admiral

I haven't been to the movies yet this year. That must be some kind of record for me.
Old July 29 2014, 08:15 PM   #335
Santa Horrible
Tom Hendricks

View Santa Horrible's Twitter Profile

Planes: Fire & Rescue - Movie Theater - Took the boys to see the newest release in the Cars universe. Before I review, I want to back up a little bit. I love the movie Cars and so do the boys. They love Cars 2 and Planes as well, they are 5 and 4 years old, what can you really expect. Like I said, I love Cars. I love the sweet, simple tale of finding yourself. Thought it look amazing and was lots of fun. While never the most complex, with real simply story telling, it did it well. Then we were hit with Cars 2 and Planes, one worse then the other. While the kids liked them, I did not. I didn't like the direction that Cars 2 took and Planes was a rehash of both Cars and Cars 2 and didn't even do that well. So I wasn't really expecting much when we went to watch Planes: Fire & Rescue. I was so wrong, it is simply the best of all the movies in the Cars universe.

While I love Cars, Planes: Fire and Rescue is a better movie. It has more heart, real stakes and feels like a complete movie. If you liked Cars, I would highly recommend giving this movie a chance. My boys were enthralled by this movie, they proclaimed it their favorite movie after it was over. I asked even better then Cars and they both answered with a resounding yes.

Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.
Santa Horrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2014, 03:05 AM   #336
zakkrusz
Rear Admiral

Recently Seen:
Lucy (9)

Running Total: 50
Old July 30 2014, 03:27 AM   #337
Santa Horrible
Tom Hendricks

View Santa Horrible's Twitter Profile

Safety Not Guaranteed - Netflix on Apple TV - So as a Lemming, I finally signed up for the fad that is Netflix. We want to catch up on Once Upon a Time, it's not available thru Amazon Prime. Plus the next season of How To Train Your Dragon tv show is going to air on Netflix, also all the Marvel EU stuff thats going to Netflix, especially the DareDevil series that I can't wait to see. I can't wait to see Vincent D'Onofrio as Kingpin, he's one of my favorite actors... but I digress.

I've wanted to see Safety Not Guaranteed since it first was announced. Just sounded like my kind of movie, I saw the trailer for it a few years back but outside knowing the basics about it, I kinda went in fresh. I wasn't really expecting the movie that I watched, I thought it was going to be a little bit more serious, but I loved it. It has easily became one of my favorite films. I feel like I need to watch it again and soon. How they weaved the different stories together was masterful, I was equally engaged in the time travel story of Kenneth as I was with Jeff's attempt to hook back up with Bridget. This movie is actually a romantic comedy disguised as a time travel movie and it really works. I was a bit surprised by the ending, I was sure it would leave us guessing. While it kind of did, with more what happen after. I was surprised to see they actually showed the time travel. Now we don't have any answers, either with the time travel aspect or how things settled out with Jeff and Bridget. This is one of those movies you wish there was more of.

Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.
Santa Horrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2014, 04:41 AM   #338
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital

JLA Adventures: Trapped in Time - DVD
Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa .5 - Netflix Instant
The Raid 2 - DVD
The Wolf of Wall Street - DVD
Homefront - Netflix Instant
Out of the Furnace - Netflix Instant
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes 2D - theater
Stan Lee's Mighty 7 - DVD
Hot Coffee - Netflix Instant
Transformers: Age of Extinction 2D - theater
Odd Thomas - Netflix Instant
Bad Words - DVD
300: Rise of an Empire - DVD
Her - DVD

Watched the 300 sequel the other night. I thought it was alright. And I liked that it was set before, durin' & after the events of the first movie. Guess it may have been more awesome to see the sea battles on a theater screen, I dunno...

Followed that with Her a couple of nights ago. Fuckin' creepy movie...everything about Joaquin Phoenix's character is creepy, from the mustache to his job & everything in between. Nice to hear what Scarlett Johannson would sound like when she orgasms, though. That was a nice one.

Still, a fuckin' creepy movie all around.

I still have a rented copy of Under the Skin to watch, and I have a plan to see something this weekend.
Old July 30 2014, 05:54 AM   #339
CaptainCanada
Admiral

59. Fish Tank (A-)

England is inhabited by three types of people. Two of these groups commonly represented in media are plucky boy wizards having adventures at magic boarding schools and posh aristocrats in whose clipped accents the audiences luxuriate. Then there's the third England, an impoverished hellhole full of people with unpleasant accents who dwell in squalor on council estates. Harry Brown, released in 2009 alongside this film, suggested that what this England needed most was an oldster with a gun ready to exterminate the wayward youth.

Fish Tank, by comparison, is a miserabilist kitchen sink drama about Mia, 15-year-old girl living on a council estate with her mother (who was seemingly a teen mom and spends her time partying and drinking, and doesn't do any actual parenting, as far as I can tell) and a younger sister with an incredibly foul mouth. Her mother's latest beau turns out to be Michael Fassbender, and what ensues is to an extent predictable, though the fallout rather less so. Mia feels like a very real character, thanks to the work by Katie Jarvis (an actual girl raised in poverty on a council estate, who hasn't worked since this per the IMDb). Fassbender does well with a tricky part, as he plays a character the audience will be tempted to read as completely dishonest and predatory, but he suggests that while at least some of that is true, he has some nicer qualities as well.

Cinema: 27
Computer: 18 (+1)

- Homer Simpson
Old July 31 2014, 06:23 AM   #340
CaptainCanada
Admiral

60. Malena (B)

Giuseppe Tornatore's 2000 Italian film is, like his highly-acclaimed Cinema Paradiso, a period Italian movie where the power of cinema plays a role (in this case, in the form of a teenage boy's fantasies of the title character). Malena is the wife of an absent Italian army officer, living in a Sicilian town where her phenomenal beauty makes her the object of lust of virtually every man and boy in town, and the object of scorn and suspicion of virtually every woman in town. Her walking through the town square is such an event that every eye follows her. Malena is played by Monica Bellucci, so this is at least plausible. The movie is a weird blend of really over-the-top slapstick (particularly the kid's parents) and, as it goes on, some really sobering stuff regarding how the town treats Malena. Bellucci has hardly any dialogue, and acts more like a character in a silent movie, viewed from a distance by the boy, placing the audience as observers to her life as she struggles to get by.

Computer: 19 (+1)

- Homer Simpson
Old July 31 2014, 04:18 PM   #341
Drekstar
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'll just say I have watched X-Men: Days of Future Past, Godzilla and Transformers Age of Extinction, and I liked all of them. I hope to see Guardians of the Galaxy next, if only for someone like Zoe Saldana.
Drekstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2014, 06:08 AM   #342
CaptainCanada
Admiral

61. Paper Moon (A)

Watched this just before it was set to disappear from Netflix for a while.

Few directors have rocketed as high as Peter Bogdanovich did from 1971-1973 only to fall so far and so rapidly. This is his best film, in my opinion, the story of a con man who is looking to make a quick profit off transporting a little girl to her relatives, only to find the girl insistently tagging along and becoming involved in his various schemes. Tatum O'Neal remains the youngest Oscar winner for her performance as the daughter (as well as the biggest case of category fraud, as she's clearly a lead, not supporting), and it really is a wonderful performance. Though given how things turned out for her relationship with her father/co-star Ryan O'Neal in real life, one wonders whether she shouldn't have stayed with her aunt and uncle at the end.

Computer: 20 (+1)

- Homer Simpson
Old August 1 2014, 06:36 AM   #343
Endgame
Lieutenant Commander

I just saw "Guardians of the Galaxy" and, yes, it was pretty good. I am, however, more interested in whether and what type of novelverse might be possible. Still not up to going through graphic novels although I learned how to read from comics. Did "Riddick" ever produce novels?
Endgame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2014, 04:09 PM   #344
Agent Richard07
Retired

90. Transcendence (✩✩✩✩) - Download - I thought this movie was pretty solid and entertaining. I don't know where all the hate for thie one or the backlash against Johnny Depp is coming from.

91. Ruby Sparks (✩✩✩✩) - Download - I saw this movie because of Zoe Kazan who co-starred in and wrote this movie. It's about a young author who wrote one great novel and now suffers from writers' block. He then conjures up the girl of his dreams in his imagination and then one day, she actually shows up at his place in the flesh. He then discovers that whatever he types about her comes to pass. The author is played by Paul Dano, Kazan's real-life boyfriend. Annette Benning and Antonio Banderas also have small roles. It's a pretty nice film that has you wondering exactly what's going on and gets pretty heavy towards the end as it deals with the issue of control, something that plagues our protagonist.

92. The Pretty One (✩✩✩½) - Download - Another movie starring Zoe Kazan. This time she plays twin sisters. One is pretty and sophisticated (Audrey) and the other is homely and less confident (Laurel). Through a series of events, Audrey dies and everyone thinks that it was Laurel who died, so Laurel plays along and takes Audrey's place so that she can live the better life. Events play out predictably and of course, there's a romance in there but it's actually a pretty decent film especially if you want to get more acquainted with Zoe Kazan.

93. Some Girl(s) (✩✩½) - Download - My third Zoe Kazan movie. Adam Brody plays a guy who's about to get married, so he travels from city to city visiting previous women in his life that he hurt, all in an attempt to bring closure. Jennifer Morrison, Mía Maesto, Emily Watson and Kristen Bell also star. The movie is actually five conversations. It felt dull in parts but got a little heavy in others. On the whole, I didn't find it to be a very good movie.

94. Fruitvale Station (✩✩✩✩) - Netflix - Based on the true story of a man who was shot by a police officer right in front of witnesses. A lot of setup and a few obvious liberties here and there but it's decent enough.

95. Guardians of the Galaxy (3D) (✩✩✩✩½) - Theatre - A different a very entertaining entry into the MCU. My review is here. The 3D is worth it.

Theatre: 13
Netflix: 33
Live TV: 3
Download: 46
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2014, 04:13 PM   #345
Agent Richard07
Retired

July Rundown (24 Movies)

5 Stars
None