Vulcan Nimoy Tribute
By: T'Bonz on Apr 24

Pegg Writing Kickass Role For Elba
By: T'Bonz on Apr 23

Galaxy Quest To Become A Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Mulgrew On Voyager Twentieth Anniversary
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old June 9 2014, 06:43 PM   #256
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Re: Movies Seen In 2014

30. Welcome to the Rileys: B+
31. X-Men: Days of Future Past: A-
32. Atonement: B
33. Charlie Wilson's War: A
34. Frozen: A-

Played catch-up to the other 95% of humanity and saw this on DVD over the weekend. Very cute film and full of sisterly love and some strife. I enjoyed the songs but not just taken by them except the "Let it Go" one. The snowman was great and the trolls had their own charm as well.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2014, 07:39 AM   #257
CaptainCanada
Admiral

38. Pride & Prejudice (A+)

The first Joe Wright/Keira Knightley collaboration remains wonderfully charming at almost a decade's remove (time has made it fascinating to pick out various actresses in the supporting cast, like Carey Mulligan, Jena Malone, Kelly Reilly, Tamzin Merchant [who would be more recognizable if she had played Daenerys past the original pilot]). I was mentioning my rewatch to my mother, who I originally saw it with, and she commented "what I remember about that movie is the beautiful scenery" -- and indeed, it's a stunning production, which is what people have come to expect from Wright. But that's far from its only virtue.

Cinema: 17
DVD: 10 (+1)
Computer: 11

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2014, 07:42 PM   #258
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital

The Family - Netflix Instant
Romancing the Stone - Netflix Instant
The Jewel of the Nile- Netflix Instant
The Sklar Brothers: What Are We Talking About? - Netflix Instant
Robocop (2014) - DVD
Lone Survivor - DVD
Knights of Badassdom - DVD
Frozen - DVD
Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs - DVD
Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 - Netflix Instant
A Million Ways to Die in the West - free admission
Wolverine: Weapon X - Tomorrow Dies Today - DVD

Went over to the Alamo Drafthouse Tuesday afternoon, and scored a free ticket to the new Seth McFarlene western comedy. I think it would have been better if I hadn't seen all the good jokes in the trailers. The best jokes are in the commercials.

Watched the latest motion comic from Marvel Knights yesterday mornin'. I haven't read the comic, but it was a pretty cool story. I've wondered if Bucky stayed on as Captain America after the original Captain America came back from bein' killed after the Civil War storyline, and now I know.

Watchin' The West Wing on Netflix Instant today.

And there's a plan to see How to Train Your Dragon 2 tomorrow...
Old June 12 2014, 08:45 PM   #259
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

So much ground to cover again. I need to do a better job of keeping you guys updated on my movie watching. I'm sure you're on pins and needles awaiting my next post.

45. Godzilla ★★1/2 - Slightly disappointing. The movie gets a little too silly for my tastes near the end, especially after all of the build up of this being a dark and gritty version of Godzilla. No character development other than Bryan Cranston's character at all.
46.X-Men: Days of Future Past ★★★★ - Possibly my favorite X-Men movie. I was enthralled from beginning to end. It was a nice blending of First Class and the original cast that was emotionally engaging.
47. Edge of Tomorrow ★★★★ - It'll take quite a lot to top this as my favorite sci-fi film of the year. I laughed out loud several times and was kind of sad when the film ended. Tom Cruise is still "hella fun" to watch.
48. Grand Piano ★★★ - Elijah Wood must play every note perfectly at a concert - or DIE! It's a nice blend of comedy and thriller.
49. In Fear ★★★ - The movie isn't consistent all the way through, but it's worth it for the first hour at least. A couple gets stranded in the woods in Ireland and is stalked by a psychopath. Iain De Caestecker of AGENTS of S.H.I.E.L.D. plays the lead and is really good.
50. Oculus ★★1/2 - It could have been a lot better. They assembled a great cast and had some decent special effects and camework, but it's still about a possessed mirror at the end of the day.
51. A Horrible Way to Die ★★1/2 - Joe Swanberg and Amy Seimetz do their best, but it's a forgettable entry from Adam Wingard, who is hit or miss from me.
52. Jodorowsky's Dune ★★★★ - This is truly the greatest film never made. I'm a huge Dune fan, and I was captivated by listening to Jodorowsky's passion about the project, and the man still looks damn good to be in his 80's.
53. The Double (2013) ★★★ - Jesse Eisenberg gets increasingly annoyed at his doppelganger. This movie is kind of hard to describe. The director's only other film is Submarine, which I really enjoyed - but the movies are quite different.
Old June 13 2014, 04:59 AM   #260
Random_Spock
Commodore

View Random_Spock's Twitter Profile

X-Men: Days of Future's Past -- 8/10

Not perfect, but damn close. Really enjoyed the plot line as a whole and Wolverine kicked ass.
Old June 15 2014, 04:53 PM   #261
Danny99
Vice Admiral

1) Wargames - B+
2) Play The Game - B
3) Battle Los Angeles - B+
4) Despicable Me 2 - B
5) Minority Report - C-
6) District 9 - B+
7) How Do You Know? - F

8) Walk The Line - A-
9) The Butler - A+
10) Captain Phillips - B
11) Sky High - C+
12) Draft Day - B-
13) Nuremberg - B
14) Love & Other Drugs - D
15) We Were Soldiers - B+
16) A Walk To Remember - D+
17) Gridiron Gang - C
18) 42 - B

It held my attention for it's run time, but could Harrison Ford tone down the crotchety in his performance? Also, I know it was based on a true story, but it seemed like every character had to have his "look I've changed" scene. It felt like a Disney movie with slightly higher production values.

19) The Monuments Men - A-

This snuck up from a B+ to an A- for having Bill Murray and John Goodman and using them effectively. On a person note, I chuckled when I saw the actor who played Burgdorf in "Downfall" in a minor role, being a big Hitler Rants fan.

This had good pacing, keep the characters interesting with the exception of Clooney. His style of acting doesn't make him earnest to me; it feels like he's trying too hard. And how weird is it to see Matt Damon in "Saving Private Ryan", another WWII flick as the young soldier and now see him here as one of the "old guys."
Old June 15 2014, 05:33 PM   #262
Tom Hendricks
King of the Wicker People

View Tom Hendricks's Twitter Profile

Tim's Vermeer - Apple TV - I have been waiting to see this since I first caught wind of it a while ago. Unfortunately it never played in the theaters here, so I had to wait for On-demand. Even before this documentary I was well aware of Tim Jenison, he started New Tek. The company that made the Video Toaster and Lightwave. I have been using Lightwave since version 3 and have read about Tim a few times. However I was totally unaware of his passion for Vermeer's work.

In Tim's Vermeer, Tim Jenison attempts to solve one of the greatest mysteries in all art: How did 17th century Dutch Master Johannes Vermeer ("Girl with a Pearl Earring") manage to paint so photo-realistically -- 150 years before the invention of photography? The epic research project Jenison embarks on to test his theory is as extraordinary as what he discovers.

The documentary is Directed by Teller and produced by Penn and it's just fantastic. It lays out logically how Vermeer could have used optics to produce the paintings he did. In fact Tim reproduces a Vermeer painting exactly, without being a painter himself using optics and mirrors.

Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.
Tom Hendricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2014, 01:46 PM   #263
Davros
Fleet Admiral

I watched Grand Budapest Hotel this weekend. I gotta give it a big thumbs up.
Old June 16 2014, 04:58 PM   #264
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

31. X-Men: Days of Future Past: A-
32. Atonement: B
33. Charlie Wilson's War: A
34. Frozen: A-
35. Rio: B

After seeing the sequel with my nephew I pulled this up the Netflix queue to see where the characters are at the start. In the sequel Blue can fly so I was not aware that was an underlying plot point in the first film that he couldn't. Overall it has the same charm as it's sequel that I can't say I liked one over the other more at this point. But neither stood out to me as great films I'd want to own or re-watch. Glad I've seen them and they are above average and serviceable.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2014, 05:30 PM   #265
od0_ital
Admiral

Robocop (2014) - DVD
Lone Survivor - DVD
Frozen - DVD
Dumb and Dumber: Unrated Edition - DVD
Maria Bamford: The Special Special Special! - Netflix Instant
Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit - DVD

Wound up seein' X-Men: Days of Future Past 2D again on Friday.

Found out afterwards that my nephews hadn't seen the first Dumb and Dumber, so I rented the unrated version from Hasting's on the way back to the house & we watched it the other night.

Not a whole lot different from the theatrical cut, but I'm still countin' it.

Watched a Maria Bamford standup special that was filmed in her livin' room for her parents. Kinda dumb idea, I think...and it didn't help that there were constant interruptions.

Also rented the new Jack Ryan prequel franchise reboot. I liked it. And I'm really glad to see Kevin Costner makin' movies again. I thought it was certainly better than The Sum of All Fears, but The Hunt for Red October is still my favorite.
Old June 17 2014, 12:00 AM   #266
Danny99
Vice Admiral

1) Wargames - B+
2) Play The Game - B
4) Despicable Me 2 - B
5) Minority Report - C-
6) District 9 - B+
7) How Do You Know? - F

8) Walk The Line - A-
9) The Butler - A+
10) Captain Phillips - B
11) Sky High - C+
12) Draft Day - B-
13) Nuremberg - B
17) Gridiron Gang - C
18) 42 - B

20) The Rebound - D-

How do I keep getting suckered into these romantic comedies?

Catherine Zeta-Jones sleep walks through this to collect a paycheck and the guy I've never heard of playing her love interest is equally as boring. Her ex-husband has one scene in the thing and he couldn't be more of a chauvinist to serve the plot than ever. The only thing that saves this thing is the two kids, who have some great "Really, is that coming out of a kid's mouth?" moments, but if you can skip it, run!
Old June 20 2014, 02:43 AM   #267
Danny99
Vice Admiral

1) Wargames - B+
2) Play The Game - B
4) Despicable Me 2 - B
5) Minority Report - C-
6) District 9 - B+
7) How Do You Know? - F

8) Walk The Line - A-
9) The Butler - A+
10) Captain Phillips - B
11) Sky High - C+
12) Draft Day - B-
13) Nuremberg - B
17) Gridiron Gang - C
18) 42 - B

20) The Rebound - D-
21) Saving Mister Banks - A-

I had high hopes for this movie because it is very rare for me to dislike Tom Hanks in a movie. I cringed a little in his early scenes, but he leveled off throughout the remainder. Emma Thompson steals the show as Travers and her story, interchanged between her childhood and the present, is what makes this movie interesting.
Both Colin Farrell and Paul Giamatti are also great in smaller roles.

You know the movie is going to get made, but the adventure on getting there is more than entertaining. Go pick this one up!
Old June 21 2014, 03:54 PM   #268
Agent Richard07
Admiral

58. Edge of Tomorrow (3D) (✩✩✩✩½) - Theatre - My review is here.

59. Sleeper (✩✩✩✩) - Live TV - The 1973 Woody Allen movie where he plays a guy who is cryogenically frozen and wakes up in 2173. It was played more for comedy than scifi and closely resembles Demolition Man. My review is here.

60. 22 Jump Street (✩✩✩✩) - Theatre - I wouldn't call it the funniest movie I've ever seen but it was pretty funny and entertaining. It elevated the humor a bit by making fun of its status as a run-of-the-mill sequel.

61. The Poker House (✩✩✩½) - Download - Lori Petty wrote and directed this autobiographical film about her teenage years looking after her younger sisters amidst her mother's prostitution. An average movie elevated by Jennifer Lawrence and Chloe Moretz.

62. Snowpiercer (✩✩✩✩½) - Download - In an attempt to combat global warming, a chemical is released into the atmosphere which accidentally causes the entire planet to freeze over. What's left of humanity lives in a train that travels the globe. In the front are the rich living in luxury and in the back are the rabble who are trying to mount a revolution to get to the front. Stars Chris Evans. It's pretty good. I'm glad I found out about it. There's a non-spoiler discussion thread here.

63. Endless Love (✩✩✩) - Download - Rich dad played by Bruce Greenwood doesn't like his daughter's mechanic boyfriend. I know what you're thinking but it's not that bad. Apparently it's a remake of a movie based on a novel. I might check out the original sometime. Fun Fact: This is an American movie with an almost entirely British, Australian and Canadian cast.

64. My Girlfriend's Boyfriend (✩✩✩✩) - Netflix - Stars Alyssa Milano, Christopher Gorham and Michael Landes. This isn't your average romantic comedy. It's actually quite clever. Makes me wish that Alyssa Milano had gotten a bigger budget.

65. The Internship (✩✩½) - Netflix - Two out of work guys get an internship at Google. Stars Owen Wilson and Vince Vaughn. I like those two but the movie itself wasn't very good. It was nice to see Google's working environment though, which I'm sure a lot of you are familiar with. This was pretty much a Google recruitment infomercial disguised as a movie. I also saw a comment comparing this to Stripes and I can see that.

Theatre: 8
Netflix: 21
Live TV: 3
Download: 33

Last edited by Agent Richard07; June 21 2014 at 05:20 PM.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2014, 07:13 AM   #269
od0_ital
Admiral

Robocop (2014) - DVD
Lone Survivor - DVD
Frozen - DVD
Dumb and Dumber: Unrated Edition - DVD
Maria Bamford: The Special Special Special! - Netflix Instant
Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit - DVD
Escape from Tomorrow - Netflix Instant

Been watchin' tv on Netflix more than movies, but I did watch EfT the other day.

That was a rather twisted movie to watch. Filmed in secret at Disney Land, that's about the only thing the movie had goin' for it. Focussin' on one guy & his family in particular who have their last day of a vacation after he's heard that he's been fired from his job. Blackouts, demented visions, underage stalkin' & general creepiness follow him as he spends time in the park.

Not sure what I was expectin', but that wasn't it.
Old June 22 2014, 09:11 PM   #270
Tom Hendricks
King of the Wicker People

View Tom Hendricks's Twitter Profile

How To Train Your Dragon 2 - IMAX 3D - Took my sons Ian 5 and Aaron 4 to see the new HTTYD 2 movie in IMAX 3D. This was their first 3D movie and I'm glad we went with IMAX. This movie is absolutely gorgeous, especially the flying scenes. You can see the wind rippling the wings of the dragons gently. Watching the flying in IMAX 3D made it feel like you were flying right along with Hiccup and Toothless. The use of light and shadow were simply amazing. My boys absolutely loved the movie and I did too.

The movies while never completely serious, had some darker moments to it with an unexpected death. It also had some of the nicest tender moments, especially the reunion between Stoick and Hiccups mom Valka. The song they sing together is just magical. When I asked my son Ian what his favorite part of the movie was, he said when they sang the song. He also mentioned the flying parts and the Bewilderbeast but that song was in there for him, thats how good it is.

Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.
Tom Hendricks is offline   Reply With Quote