IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old April 1 2014, 07:29 AM   #181
zakkrusz
Rear Admiral

Re: Movies Seen In 2014

Updates in Bold:

300: Rise of an Empire (10)
Black Rain (7)
Fairy Tail The Movie: The Phoenix Priestess (8)
Kara no Kyoukai: Mirai Fukuin (Garden of Sinners: Blessings for the Future) (9)
Divergent (7)
Heat (1995) (8)
Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit (9)
Kick Ass 2 (8)
Lone Survivor (8)
Mass Effect: Paragon Lost (7)
Mission Impossible II (8)
Mission Impossible III (8)
Monuments Men (8)
Need for Speed (8)
Non-Stop (10)
Oldboy (2013) (9)
Robocop (2014) (8)
Tales From Earthsea (5)
White House Down (7)
The Wind Rises (7)
Wolf Children (8)

Running Total: 21

Last edited by zakkrusz; April 2 2014 at 01:55 AM.
zakkrusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2014, 07:13 AM   #182
CaptainCanada
Admiral

28. Noah (B+)

Darren Aronofsky's megabudget art film/blockbuster hybrid, a merging of the Bible, Jewish Apocrypha, Gnostic texts, and 21st century environmentalism. I doubt I'll see a more idiosyncratic film this year. If it was being rated solely on ambition it would be an A+ piece of work, surely (I'm still amazing Aronofsky was able to convince a studio to fund this). Taken as a whole I don't think it's quite a great film, but it's a good one, and well worth seeing.

The bulk of it rests on Crowe, Connelly and Watson, who are all very good (I've seen some people quibbling with Watson's acting out her character's pregnancy, but considering her labour lasts about a minute and she's up and walking five minutes later, I'd call that primarily a writing issue); the actors playing Noah's sons are a bit more variable; Ray Winstone, looking uncannily like Mickey Rourke in The Wrestler, brings decent charisma to the film's villain.

Cinema: 12 (+1)
DVD: 7
Computer: 9

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2014, 03:09 AM   #183
CaptainCanada
Admiral

29. Captain America: The Winter Soldier (A)

Pretty much what I want from a superhero blockbuster, and in competition for Marvel Studios' best film so far. Discussed more in the movie's own review thread.

Cinema: 13 (+1)
Computer: 9

- Homer Simpson
Old April 5 2014, 07:58 AM   #184
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital

Looney Tunes: Back in Action - DVD
The Crow: Wicked Prayer - Showtime Extreme
Free Willy 2: The Adventure Home - Starz Kids & Family
Wallace & Gromit: Curse of the Were-Rabbit - HBO on Demand
Bullet to the Head - Cinemax on Demand
Howard the Duck - HBO Family
Battlefield Earth - HBO on Demand
Me, Myself & Irene - HBO on Demand
Bad Milo! - Netflix Instant
The Final Cut - Netflix Instant
Starship Troopers: Invasion - Netflix Instant
P!nk: The Truth About Love Tour - Netflix Instant
Saving Mr. Banks - DVD
Avengers Confidential: Black Widow / Punisher - DVD
Suddenly - Netflix Instant
Captain America: The Winter Soldier 2D - theater

Before leavin' my sister's place in east Texas, I watched a Ray Liotta film on Netflix. I should have known it would be bad when I saw Uwe Boll was the director, but damn..what a horrible film about a clandestine group tryin' to assassinate the president and a drunk deputy who doesn't really save the day.

First trip to a movie theater this year was for the Captain America sequel! I took my brother's kids to the Thursday night openin' show. Went for the 2D to save some money, stayed for the two bonus scenes in the credits.

I thought it was pretty cool, and no small feat to make the Falcon kinda awesome.

The first bonus scene makes me even more excited for The Avengers sequel due next year.

I gotta wonder where Hawkeye was durin' all the action, though.
Old April 6 2014, 06:08 AM   #185
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

Had the pleasure of seeing Ti West's The Sacrament tonight with actor AJ Bowen and producer Peter Phok in attendance. Really enjoyable drama with some intense scenes. It's filmed as an episode of VICE. Its a typical Ti West film. A lot of buildup and then all hell breaks loose.
Old April 6 2014, 04:54 PM   #186
Shamrock Bones
Agent Richard07

36. Frozen (✩✩✩✩) - Download - I don't generally like animated movies but I checked this one out because of the hype and liked it. It had a lot of heart and one or two good twists that deviated from the expected norm.

37. American Hustle (✩✩✩) - Download - Tedious. And Jennifer Lawrence once again plays a character who's much older than the 22 year old she looks like. I loved the make-up jobs on all the players though and it was a hoot seeing the cast of Silver Linings Playbook in another movie.

38. The Right Kind of Wrong (✩✩✩✩) - Download - A Canadian romantic comedy about a loser-ish guy who sees the perfect girl and decided to pursue her. But here's the catch… He sees this girl on her wedding day where she marries the perfect guy, played by the same actor who played Captain Awesome on Chuck. I thought the pursuit of a married woman with the perfect husband was an interesting twist and an interesting challenge and it did make for a decent movie. I also liked the Banff, Alberta setting which really added to the film.

39. Passion (✩✩✩) - Download - A crime of passion movie starring Rachel McAdams and an unrecognizable Noomi Rapace. It was directed by Brian De Palma and it seems that it didn't get a wide release. Upon watching it, I could see why. It didn't have the tone or energy or a major motion picutre but the last third of the movie was pretty good.

40. Afternoon Delight (✩✩✩½) - Download - Kathryn Hahn is always good and she's even better when the subject is sex. It's a nice little independent piece about young marriage but things do get a little judgemental when Hahn's character brings home a stripper (played by Juno Temple) to stay with them as she tries to save her. Jash Rador plays the husband.

41. Breaking the Girls (✩✩✩½) - Download - Two college-aged girls, one rich and bored and one, a struggling student meet and hit it off. Rich girls kills the student's rival and expects her new friend to do the same for her. It has a strong Wild Things vibe and stars Madeline Zima as the rich girl, who might I add continues to include a lot of revealing shots in her work.

42. Noah (✩✩✩✩) - Theatre - My review is here.

43. American Mary (✩✩✩½) - Download - A struggling med school student turns to performing surgery in the underground body modification community to pay the bills. It can get pretty gruesome and uncomfortable at times but I enjoyed it. I saw it mainly because of Katharine Isabelle.

44. Captain America: The Winter Soldier (✩✩✩½) - Theatre - My review is here. I wasn't as jazzed about it as everyone else was but it had some of the best fight sequences I've ever seen.

Theatre: 3
Netflix: 16
Live TV: 2
Download: 23
Shamrock Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2014, 04:54 PM   #187
Shamrock Bones
Agent Richard07

March Rundown (12 Movies)

5 Stars
None

4½ Stars
None

4 Stars
Frozen - Download
Noah - Theatre
Sleeping Dogs Lie - Netflix
The Right Kind of Wrong - Download

3½ Stars
Afternoon Delight - Download
American Mary - Download
Breaking the Girls - Download
Fullmetal Alchemist the Movie: Conqueror of Shamballa - Download

3 Stars
American Hustle - Download
Passion - Download

2½ Stars
None

2 Stars
The Future - Netflix

1½ Stars
Kiss at Pine Lake - Live TV

1 Star
None

½ Star
None

0 Stars
None
Shamrock Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2014, 09:27 PM   #188
CaptainCanada
Admiral

30. Temptation: Confessions of a Marriage Counselor (D)

People have been making Tyler Perry jokes for years, so I decided that I should actually watch one of his movies for fun. I gather, from various other reviews and commentaries on his work, that this movie is unrepresentative of his normal style in a number of ways (no Madea and similar over-the-top comedic elements) -- this is a pretty old-fashioned melodrama, where a good Christian woman gets annoyed that her husband forgets her birthday two years in a row and spends his evenings watching sports, so she embarks on an affair with a billionaire who introduces her to extramarital sex, drugs, and other shallow pursuits.

In a lot of the older melodramas the punishment was tacked on at the end to satisfy the censors, freeing the audience to indulge whatever naughty behaviour the protagonist was engaged in for most of the running time. With Perry, I don't get that sense -- he seems genuinely more interested in hectoring our main character about how she needs Jesus; or possibly it's just that the sequences meant to show her seduction are just so leaden under Perry's direction. Anyway, it's pretty boring, but rarely is it bad in an interesting way. Perry needed to Lifetime this up by at least 30% to get some entertainment value out of it.

Cinema: 13
Computer: 10 (+1)

- Homer Simpson
Old April 6 2014, 11:57 PM   #189
Roddenberry
Lieutenant Commander

[QUOTE=Roddenberry;9410440]

45. Pulp Fiction (B+) - Having watched a couple of early films Tarantino was involved in recently, I thought I'd re-watch Pulp Fiction. It's good, it has some great direction and the music is well placed. Never quite hits the highs of Reservoir Dogs or True Romance though.
46. The Enemy Within (E) - Save the Forest Whittaker speech at the end, this was a shoddy mess.
47. City Hunter (C-) - One for Jackie Chan fans only. I still think the Street Fighter scene in this is better than the whole JCVD film.
48. One Of Her Own (B-) - Seems like a made for TV movie, well acted for the large part, though the script is poor in places. Although I enjoyed it, I did feel, with a little more polish, this could have been great.
Roddenberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2014, 12:42 AM   #190
Danny99
Vice Admiral

1) Wargames - B+
2) Play The Game - B
3) Battle Los Angeles - B+
4) Despicable Me 2 - B
5) Minority Report - C-
6) District 9 - B+
7) How Do You Know? - F

8) Walk The Line - A-
9) The Butler - A+
10) Captain Phillips - B

Tom Hanks once again proves that he can play any role and make it interesting.

However, he doesn't have anything to play off of. The Somali's don't really have any background and spend most of the time either screaming or mumbling. It's not really their fault as the movie is based on true events, but it's not a good step toward a positive movie.
Old April 7 2014, 05:09 AM   #191
zakkrusz
Rear Admiral

Updates in Bold:

300: Rise of an Empire (10)
Black Rain (7)
Captain America: The Winter Soldier (9)
Fairy Tail The Movie: The Phoenix Priestess (8)
Kara no Kyoukai: Mirai Fukuin (Garden of Sinners: Blessings for the Future) (9)
Divergent (7)
Heat (1995) (8)
Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit (9)
Kick Ass 2 (8)
Lone Survivor (8)
Mass Effect: Paragon Lost (7)
Mission Impossible II (8)
Mission Impossible III (8)
Monuments Men (8)
Need for Speed (8)
Non-Stop (10)
Oldboy (2013) (9)
Robocop (2014) (8)
Tales From Earthsea (5)
White House Down (7)
The Wind Rises (7)
Wolf Children (8)

Running Total: 22
Old April 7 2014, 07:40 PM   #192
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

21. Noah: C-
22. 2 Guns: B
23. The Seventh Seal: B+
24. Mongol: A-
25. Captain America The Winter Soldier: A+

Playing serious catch up on my list.

Noah: As an adaption this film is horrid. Even taking religion out of it, just as a historical adaption from a culture it's bad and it's main sin is what the marketing omits from the advertising---and not in a good way like CA:TWS did.

2Guns: Denzel and Whalberg film based off the Boom Studios mini-series. A more unconventional "comic book" film I didn't get around to. Felt it was a solid and entertaining film overall though.

Seventh Seal: The Ingmar Bergman film touted as an iconic piece of film making. My only reference to the film was oft touted Knight/Death playing chess so I needed to finally see this, subtitled or not. It is a strong piece of film but I did find myself thinking the second act a bit long without adding enough substance for that time as it reflected in the finale.

Mongol: Cause, hey, why not watch another subtitled foregin film right?! My knowledge on Genghis Khan and what shapped the man before he became the warlord we know is zip so I can only judge it as a film, not on accuracy. In that regard I felt it was a really good film. So much time was spent with him as a child/tween though that I felt they could've cut back on that and it would've left the importance of those moments and how it would shape him in tact. It's another 30min longer than Seventh Seal so I'm done with subtitled foreign films for a few months now.

Captain America The Winter Soldier: Knowing I have to nit pick to "create" a complaint this was one superb film. I saw a review who said something akin to "a great political spy thriller that just happens to have a superhero as it's lead". I think you could make Cap=Bourne and SHIELD=Treadstone and the main beats would play eerily similar. This is going into my top 3 Marvel Studios films easily.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2014, 11:26 PM   #193
Danny99
Vice Admiral

1) Wargames - B+
2) Play The Game - B
3) Battle Los Angeles - B+
4) Despicable Me 2 - B
5) Minority Report - C-
6) District 9 - B+
7) How Do You Know? - F

8) Walk The Line - A-
9) The Butler - A+
10) Captain Phillips - B
11) Sky High - C+

I got a couple laughs out of this kid's movie, but the message is basically be bullied at school, stand up for yourself, and the kid with the popular parents will still manage to take you down.

I got a kick out of Lynda Carter saying "What am I? Wonder Woman?" but the main character doesn't make you feel for him and Kurt Russell is just down right embarrassing.
Old April 7 2014, 11:57 PM   #194
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

1) Her (2013) - A
2) Saving Mr. Banks (2013) - B+
3) The Dallas Buyers Club (2013) - B
4) Frozen (2013) - A
5) Wolf of Wall Street (2013) - B
6) Rush (2013) - B+
7) Blackfish (2013) - B
8) The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014) - A
9) Captain America: Winter Soldier (2014) - A

I'm starting to think Marvel can do no wrong. I go to a Marvel Movie and come out feeling really glad I saw it, and this has happened with every single movie Marvel has put out, at least in this universe starting with Iron Man (X-Men and Spiderman feels like a different division of Marvel). This sequel was great, better than the first movie and it was also a ton of fun. Loved Natashia (black widow) back in this one, and it really expanded the Captain America Mythos.

Netflix
Theater: 7 (+1)
Itunes 1
Blu Ray/DVD/TV 1
Old April 8 2014, 07:12 AM   #195
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
Noah: As an adaption this film is horrid. Even taking religion out of it, just as a historical adaption from a culture it's bad and it's main sin is what the marketing omits from the advertising---and not in a good way like CA:TWS did.
Actually, much of the seemingly unusual stuff (like the Watchers) is from the Book of Enoch and various other Apocryphal and Gnostic texts. Not the environmentalism, though.

- Homer Simpson