Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old March 2 2014, 08:36 PM   #136
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Re: Movies Seen In 2014

17. Almost Famous (A+)

Rewatched this with a friend who hadn't seen it before. This is the Blu-ray "bootleg cut", much longer than the theatrical version, but also an improvement (and the theatrical cut was great on its own). I've seen this movie a number of times and this was the first time I realized that the DJ in Lester Bangs' first scene is the goth techie from NCIS. Speaking of Lester, RIP Philip Seymour Hoffman -- you rarely got to play a character this nice. Cameron Crowe, when he's on the top of his game, is a dynamite soundtrack selector, and while "Tiny Dancer" tends to be the song people remember most in terms of its use in this movie, I think the use of another Elton John tune, "Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters", is just as good.

Cinema: 7
DVD: 3
Computer: 7 (+1)

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2 2014, 08:43 PM   #137
Harvey
Admiral

CaptainCanada wrote: View Post
You've seen three Nicolas Roeg movies and one of the wasn't Don't Look Now? Interesting.
It's on the list. I saw Performance in a class. I saw The Man Who Fell To Earth because it was science fiction. And I saw Bad Timing because it was on the shelf at the library down the street, and the Criterion booklet seduced me.

I've seen parts of Walkabout that were intriguing, and I've definitely seen clips from Don't Look Now in a few horror movie specials, but I haven't been able to see either in full yet. I'll get there. Eventually. Possibly before you get to Star Trek Into Darkness?

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2 2014, 08:47 PM   #138
CaptainCanada
Admiral

To satisfy your curiosity, I'll make a point of watching that as soon as I get my normal computer back and can use my iTunes account it (it's currently in the shop for repairs). I was waiting to see if Netflix got it, but Netflix doesn't even have the 2009 film on inspection, so that's probably not going to happen.

- Homer Simpson
Old March 2 2014, 09:06 PM   #139
Harvey
Admiral

Netflix has had the 2009 film off and on. I'd be surprised if the 2013 film doesn't show up on the service sometime this year.

Old March 3 2014, 07:14 AM   #140
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

Get Hola Unblocker. Netflix actually doesn't oppose the use of it and several regions have both films.

29. Blue is the Warmest Color ★★★★
30. The Croods ★★ 1/2
31. Bad Grandpa ★★
Old March 3 2014, 09:59 PM   #141
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

12. Hachi: A Dog's Tale: A
13. She's Out of My League: C
14. The Lego Movie: A
15. Whip It: B
16. Up in the Air: B

I was a bit underwhelmed by this George Clooney led piece that also co-stars Anna Kendrick and Vera Farmiga. I didn't realize it till the movie was over but in some loose way both this and my last Netflix film, Whip It, are about people finding their true path.

Clooney's character Bingham thinks that a detached life, no commitment lifestyle is what he wants. Kendricks, just out of school Natalie has her life planned out in 5yr blocks and when reality hits she doesn't handle it well. Meanwhile we have Vera's Alex who along with Bingham's impending wedding nuptials cause him to re-evaluate what he always thought important...to him.

Did not see the twist coming that Alex would be married or with kids. In hindsight maybe I should have but was paying more attention to the idea of Bingham's Grinch style heart growing 3 sizes.

I found it just engaging enough but nothing to elevate it to a film that is superbly 'A' grade. Worth seeing at least once and fine performances by the the 3 main leads + a nice Zach Galifinakas cameo in the early going.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2014, 11:30 PM   #142
Danny99
Vice Admiral

1) Wargames - B+
2) Play The Game - B
3) Battle Los Angeles - B+
4) Despicable Me 2 - B
5) Minority Report - C-

I managed to catch this one on late night and PVRed it for a night with nothing to do that came yesterday.

I had forgotten how disjointed this was. It was a great idea, but it was just poorly executed, which is odd considering it was a Spielburg picture. It's a hard picture to look at with the high exposure shots. You never really bond with Cruise's Anderton because he spends most of the time yelling, running and not a lot of being a likable character.
Old March 5 2014, 07:08 AM   #143
zakkrusz
Rear Admiral

Updates in Bold:

Black Rain (7)
Fairy Tail The Movie: The Phoenix Priestess (8)
Heat (1995) (8)
Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit (9)
Kick Ass 2 (8)
Lone Survivor (8)
Mass Effect: Paragon Lost (7)
Mission Impossible II (8)
Mission Impossible III (8)
Monuments Men (8)
Non-Stop (10)
Robocop (2014) (8)
Tales From Earthsea (5)
Wolf Children (8)

Running Total: 14
Old March 5 2014, 12:24 PM   #144
Roddenberry
Lieutenant Commander

According to my lovefilm listings, so far this year

1. Megaforce (F) - Doesn't even enter the so bad it's good. If you get a chance, watch it though, because the badness needs to be seen to be believed.
2. Loose Cannons (C) - Hits a lot of the right notes but never anything special as the chemistry never quite seems to kick off between the leads, Hackman & Ackroyd..
3. The Last Boy Scout (B+) - I love his film, might be marking it higher than I should because of that, for me it's a quintessential beer & popcorn movie. Willis is superb, as is the girl who plays his daughter.
4. Operation Condor: Armour of God II (D) - Worth a watch for Jackie Chan's stuntwork, not much else though.
5. Universal Soldier (B-) - Lundgren steals this movie from JCVD, so much more than the sum of its parts, let down at times by poor directing ad some shoddy sets.
6. The Addams Family (B) - Strong performances by a very good cast push an OK script into a very good film.
7. Hudson Hawk (C-) - A forced farce that just never quite holds together.
8. Showdown In Little Tokyo (F) - Awful, just awful.
9. Ricochet (B) - An over the top film that is very enjoyable. Lithgow is a delight and Washington oozes class on screen.
10. Delirious (D-) - Weak performances and script. Candy does stand out but can't save this from being a below average mess.
11. Heart Condition (E) - Only the on screen chemistry between Hoskins and Washington save this from getting an F.
12. Big Trouble In Little China (B-) - Dislikeable characters, off-the wall plot and yet I enjoyed this.
13. Regarding Henry (C) - A film which benefits greatly from Ford being so watchable.
14. The Man In The Moon (C-) - A nice little movie that throws a lot of coming of age, dealing with loss and sibling rivalry tropes at you and is fairly well acted, but nothing outstanding or even close to original about it.
15. True Colours (B) - Cusack and Spader bring it in this tale of friendship, politics, deceit and betrayal.
16. Billy Bathgate (C) - Despite strong performances from Kidman, Hoffman and Willis this always felt like a TV movie to me, in fact it might have worked better as a mini-series.
17. Simple Men (U) - It put me to sleep half a dozen times, therefore ungraded.
18. Sniper (D) - It's OK, acting, OK, script, OK, directing...you get the gist.
19 Death Becomes Her (B+) - Nearly great, just not quite enough substance to push it to an A. Willis, Streep and Hawn all put in great performances.
20. Twin Dragons (C) - Double Jackie Chan, what's not to like? Good farce, some good stunts and chuckle-worthy throughout.
21. Mortal Thoughts (D+) - Just never quite hangs together as a cohesive whole despite a couple of notable performances.
22. Love Potion No. 9 (C-) - Borderline, nearly got a D+. It's very lightweight and performances are OK. Wet Sunday afternoon, you could do worse than this.
23. Raising Cain (D) - I wanted to like this more, I do like Lithgow's performance but the film doesn't do it for me. Kind of feels like it should have been less linear, a more cut up approach may have worked better and would explain why we have almost gratuitous clock and timepiece shots with no real need.
24. Groundhog Day (A) - Great film, great performances.
25. Deep Cover (C) - Nice drama, nicely acted with Fishburne putting in a really good performance.
26. Midnight Sting (C+) - Better than the sum of its parts. Does have a slight A-Team/KnightRider feel, small town villain getting his comeuppance.
27. The Young Americans (E) - Messy mish-mash of a film that never quite grabs your attention.
28. Crime Story (C) - A Jackie Chan vehicle that feels like a bit of departure from what I know him from. Better acting than in a lot of his films and, as per usual, the stunt work he does always makes it worth a look.
29. Romeo is Bleeding (D) - Gary Oldman is superb but the film never holds together and I kind of drifted in and out of it because of that.
30. Robin Hood: Men In Tights (D) - It has its moments, Patrick Stewart is one of them, but feels tired and formulaic. The jokes are hit and miss, with far more being misses.
Roddenberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2014, 02:24 AM   #145
Danny99
Vice Admiral

1) Wargames - B+
2) Play The Game - B
3) Battle Los Angeles - B+
4) Despicable Me 2 - B
5) Minority Report - C-
6) District 9 - B+

I was impressed by the risks this movie was willing to take. The hero, Wikus, is not willing to take his mutation like the honorable soldier we always see. I also enjoyed the beginning with the mockumentary set up and wished that had continued more as I think it added another element to the story.

What really detracts from this movie is the amount of blood we see. I'm never one to complain about graphic material in movies, but to sometimes see fountains of blood from bullet wounds was a little much and didn't add anything to it for me.
Old March 7 2014, 07:51 AM   #146
CaptainCanada
Admiral

18. The Ice Storm (C+)

This is a well-regarded Ang Lee film from 1997 (four stars from Roger Ebert, and a Criterion edition), but this hits pretty much all the wrong buttons to me. Firstly, it belongs to the "deconstruction of the American [white upper middle class] family" genre, which I've long since grown sick of. Beyond that, virtually everybody in the cast suffers from a completely undefined malaise that causes them to go around doing stuff with very little rhyme or reason, this supposedly all being deeply revealing and meaningful. The climactic tragedy is genuinely hilarious. I was tempted to rate this lower, but it has generally good acting, and some good lines (and Lee knows his way around a camera).

Cinema: 7
DVD: 3
Computer: 8 (+1)

- Homer Simpson
Old March 8 2014, 11:26 PM   #147
Roddenberry
Lieutenant Commander

I maybe should have prefaced my first post n this thread that I'm working through films in my Lovefilm/amazon queue kind of in year order, if they send me discs in order, of films I haven't seen, don't remember seeing or feel deserve another look. I started this from the year of my birth and am currently up to 1992-1994, with a few earlier titles stuck in the limited availability limbo.

31. The Three Musketeers (1993) (C-) - Fun and silly, but no substance to speak of.
32. My Cousin Vinny (B) - Surprised me, really enjoyed this film. Funny and some good performances.
33. Undercover Blues (D) - The lead characters are affable enough, the film is shoddy though and some of the supporting characters are just plain irritating.
34. True Romance (A) - Morally wrong, intellectually wrong and the romance is wrong and twisted but it's a great film.
Roddenberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2014, 11:46 PM   #148
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital

The Devil's Double - Netflix Instant
MST3K: Future War - Netflix Instant
Deceptive Practice: The Mysteries and Mentors of Ricky Jay - Netflix Instant
Stephen King's Graveyard Shift - Netflix Instant
Charge - Netflix Instant
The Eiger Sanction - Netflix Instant
MST3K: Laserblast - Netflix Instant
The Joneses - Netflix Instant
The Reich Underground - Netflix Instant
In the Loop - Netflix Instant
The Other Man - Netflix Instant
Our Nixon - Netflix Instant
Broadcast News - Netflix Instant
MST3K: Final Justice - Netflix Instant
The Blob (1958) - HuluPlus
American Breakdown - HuluPlus
Spy Kids 3: Game Over - Netflix Instant
The Beast with a Million Eyes - Netflix Instant
Journey to the Center of the Earth (1959) - Netflix Instant
Escape from Alcatraz - Netflix Insant
River of No Return - Netflix Instant
The Apartment - Netflix Instant
Rewind This! - HuluPlus
Ping Pong - Netflix Instant
Schooled: The Price of College Sports - Netflix Instant
Bronies - Netflix Instant
Le Lac Des Zombies (aka Zombie Lake) - Netflix Instant
Cockneys vs Zombies - Netflix Instant
Humanoids from the Deep (aka Monster) - Netflix Instant
The Haunting in Connecticut - Netflix Instant
The Haunting in Connecticut 2: Ghosts of Georgia - Netflix Instant
Giorgio Moroder Presents Metropolis (1984) - Netflix Instant
Dinosaur Island - Netflix Instant
Age of Dinosaurs - Netflix Instant
The Dinosaur Project - Netflix Instant
Baby Boom - Netflix Instant
Blindsided - Netflix Instant
Hobo with a Shotgun - Netflix Instant
Stranded - Netflix Instant
MST3K: The Phantom Planet - Netflix Instant
Looney Tunes: Back in Action - DVD
The Crow: Wicked Prayer - Showtime Extreme
Free Willy 2: The Adventure Home - Starz Kids & Family
Wallace & Gromit: Curse of the Were-Rabbit - HBO on Demand
Bullet to the Head - Cinemax on Demand
Howard the Duck - HBO Family
Battlefield Earth - HBO on Demand
Me, Myself & Irene - HBO on Demand

Can't find where I left off, so just startin' the bold from what I watched at my brother's place the last couple of weeks.

The Looney Tunes movie was pretty dumb, surprised to see Ron Perlman in such a thankless cameo as part of the Acme board of directors. And the Brendan Fraser / stuntman jokes were alright.

The Crow sequel was the worst of 'em, so far, mostly 'cause of Tara Reid and Edward Furlong.

The first Willy sequel wasn't too bad, for a kids movie. I may watch the third soon, since I have it saved on his DVR for his kids to watch.

W&G was a cute movie, too. And my youngest nephew liked it, so that was a surprise.

BttH was a dull action movie. I could have done without the narration from Stallone, and startin' off at one point in the story and then backtrackin' seemed like a waste of time and ruined some of the suspense.

HtD was as awful as I had heard & expected it to be.

BE was pretty dumb, too. As with Cowboys & Aliens, I had to wonder why gold would be so important and/or valuable to aliens...

MM&I wasn't as funny as I would expect from Jim Carrey, but it wasn't too bad, either. The best gag, I think, was "On the count of nine!" just for the look on Renee Zellweeger's face.
Old March 9 2014, 11:54 PM   #149
Harvey
Admiral

On a TV:

27. Cedar Rapids (2011) -- B

Cedar Rapids is an amusing comedy, if never a great one, that is greatly elevated by its cast (including Isiah Whitlock, Jr. in a terrific comic turn, Sigourney Weaver in brief, but funny, role, Anne Heche in her best role in a while, and a...revealing turn from Kurtwood Smith). The script does a good job balancing sentiment with raunchy humor, without going overboard in either direction.

Old March 10 2014, 01:44 AM   #150
zakkrusz
Rear Admiral

Updates in Bold:

Black Rain (7)
Fairy Tail The Movie: The Phoenix Priestess (8)
Kara no Kyoukai: Mirai Fukuin (Garden of Sinners: Blessings for the Future) (9)
Heat (1995) (8)
Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit (9)
Kick Ass 2 (8)
Lone Survivor (8)
Mass Effect: Paragon Lost (7)
Mission Impossible II (8)
Mission Impossible III (8)
Monuments Men (8)
Non-Stop (10)
Robocop (2014) (8)
Tales From Earthsea (5)
Wolf Children (8)