Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old March 12 2014, 11:35 PM   #31
Clark Terrell
Lieutenant Commander

Re: First contact borg inconsistency?

BillJ wrote: View Post
I know, but it was stupid to put someone you believe could be compromised in command of your most technologically advanced assets. If the Borg still had a link, then they know everything you've developed and can prepare accordingly.
I agree and don't understand Starfleet's decision-making at all. Why give Picard a ship if he's not allowed to use it in situations where it could help?
Clark Terrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2014, 03:30 AM   #32
Enterprise1701
Captain

Clark Terrell wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
I know, but it was stupid to put someone you believe could be compromised in command of your most technologically advanced assets. If the Borg still had a link, then they know everything you've developed and can prepare accordingly.
I agree and don't understand Starfleet's decision-making at all. Why give Picard a ship if he's not allowed to use it in situations where it could help?
Maybe someone in the admiralty irrationally feared that the Borg would somehow hijack the mind of the liberated drone Picard. Or that Picard's antipathy towards the Borg would compromise his decision-making.
Enterprise1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2014, 03:46 AM   #33
RunawayStarShip
Lieutenant Junior Grade

To be fair, I think that the Borg cube in "The Best of Both Worlds" suffered a fair bit of damage at Wolf 359 as well. After all, it seemed to be sitting around and being repaired after destroying the fleet, which gave the Enterprise time to catch up to it (after, coincidentally, the Enterprise was sitting around and being repaired).
RunawayStarShip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2014, 08:42 AM   #34
Captain_Amasov
Captain

I always thought there was an inconsistency between "Q Who" and "The Best of Both Worlds". In "Q Who" it seemed that the Borg cube didn't just become completely immune to weapons fire, but immediately regenerated the hull of the cube upon damage.

The Enterprise-D, or a small group of ships, at the time couldn't hope to do enough damage to by-pass this defense all by themselves. This would mean that a sizable fleet of starships could cause enough up front damage to eventually whittle down a Borg cube, which oddly enough seems to be happening in "First Contact".
Captain_Amasov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2014, 11:20 PM   #35
Timo
Admiral

A given rate of recovery, pitted against a given rate of inflicting damage, and moderated by the Borg ability to resist, would give a certain outcome naturally enough:

1) In "Q Who?", a single starship could tear a Cube to shreds, because the Cube has not yet assimilated enough knowledge of enemy weaponry to resist it and thus minimize damage. Too bad that Picard stopped short of entirely destroying the Cube, giving it time not only to recover but also to adapt, so that towards the end of the episode, the weapons of a single starship could no longer make a dent.

2) in "BoBW", a fleet of ships fails to inflict enough damage because the Borg have learned how to resist, and their steady rate of repair and recovery thus can deal with this entire fleet's best efforts. There may be a little bit of ebb and flow there, but most of the battle goes unwitnessed by the cameras and the audience, and we only need to know that the rate of destruction never quite outweighed the rate of recovery.

3) by ST:FC, the Borg have not learned much that would be new, though: their ability to withstand Starfleet weapons has plateaued. Starfleet has developed a little bit of extra destructive power, but not much, and again a fleet of ships fails to have much of an impact. Only the ability of Picard to point the fleet towards a fleeting weakness in the ever-shifting structure of the Cube allows Starfleet to momentarily overcome the Borg repair rate and thus destroy the Cube.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2014, 01:21 AM   #36
Robert Comsol
Commodore

IIRC the Borg cube in ST VIII was quite a different type than the one we'd seen in "Q Who" and BoBW (of which Starfleet had plenty of footage for analysis for Picard to comment upon).

The one in ST VIII was a different type and nobody at Starfleet probably had intel how to properly deal with it. Picard, OTOH, might have retained subconscious knowledge about this different type and therefore knew instinctively its weak point.

Just a thought, I'm not a big fan of this film either (and that's not because of the XXXXXXXXXX-X).

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote