Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old January 2 2014, 10:45 AM   #31
Triskelion
Rear Admiral

Re: How realistic was Scotty's accent?

Forbin wrote: View Post
plynch wrote: View Post
The world then was full of ethnic humpr done by white guys with cheesy accents. Buddy Ebsen on the Tonight show doing his "classic bit" as a Chinese waiter or something like that. 1966, people were ok with cheesy accents. Like bad disguises on spy shows. Now that we're exposed more in US media to real people from the actual places, the old cheese hasn't aged well. Except Pegg and other true Scots sound wrong to me, raised on the glories of Jimmy Doohan.

(And accents definitely change over time as Doohan asserted. My father in law, born in the US to Finnish parents, goes to Finland and he sounds hilarious to them. In the new country the language ossified as it was in 1890. In hipster Finland, it kept evolving.)
CaptPapa wrote: View Post
I'm not surprised that Scotty's Scots accent was not very authentic - I've also read a number of comments on Chekov's . . . not very good Russian accent.
Among other things, I enjoy old movies and I'm frequently amused by English actors speaking in their native voices, but playing German or French characters. It never seemed to bother them, or the producers.
However, yesterday while watching an old Perry Mason episode, I may have heard the world's worst accent on film. The character, as described on film, was supposed to be a Welsh person, but the actor (read generic white TV character actor) was so bad with the accent, it came out as an Indian accent - and a caricature at that.
ME
There was a Wild Wild West ep I saw a while ago. An evil henchman was supposed to be a cockney sailor. It was clearly an American guy. He had NO accent whatsoever, but he kept saying "Gov-NAH" and "OY!" a lot, so we'd know hoe was English. Oy.

I've been watching a lot of 60s TV the last few years - Mission Impossible, WWW, It Takes a Thief, Five-O, Man and Girl from UNCLE. Anybody playing a foreign agent, whether he's supposed to be from eastern Europe or Latin America, used the same generic faux foreign accent.

I can't speak for the other series, but IIRC, Mission Impossible at the time was deliberately focusing on the Russian threat without actually naming it. Its producers wanted to tell stories about a parade of Russian baddies, but the studio was aiming for a broader, more politically-correct audience (before PC had become the label). The producers opted never to actually name the villains as Russians but to allow the accents to make the implication.

Given the similar time period, the same factors may have been at play in the production of these other series.

I love watching old British TV shows try to pull off an American accent. The performances are usually so ham-handed. Which I'm sure goes both ways! The simple fact is, it's just so much fun trying on a new accent for size.
Triskelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2014, 10:53 AM   #32
Pindar
Rear Admiral

View Pindar's Twitter Profile

I am Scottish, from Edinburgh. It's not the best tv Scots accent I have heard but it's not the worst. It was much worse in the films.

I prefer Doohans accent to Simon Peggs.
Pindar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2014, 08:27 PM   #33
scotpens
Vice Admiral

TresKings wrote: View Post
. . . I can't speak for the other series, but IIRC, Mission Impossible at the time was deliberately focusing on the Russian threat without actually naming it. Its producers wanted to tell stories about a parade of Russian baddies, but the studio was aiming for a broader, more politically-correct audience (before PC had become the label). The producers opted never to actually name the villains as Russians but to allow the accents to make the implication.
Mission: Impossible also had all those signs and labels written in a faux language that looked vaguely like Czech or Polish or Serbian or Hungarian, but could be read just like English. The production people called it "Gellerese" after the show's creator Bruce Geller.
Old January 2 2014, 08:51 PM   #34
Forbin
Admiral

"POLITZ STAZION"
"TELEFON"

Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2014, 11:16 PM   #35
scotpens
Vice Admiral

^^ Or, as spoofed in Airplane! (1980):

Old January 3 2014, 12:21 AM   #36
iguana_tonante
Admiral

TorontoTrekker wrote: View Post
Ru ru, chu wrote: View Post
Probably most viewers have no idea what an authentic Welsh accent is supposed to sound like. I know I don't...
Check out Torchwood - three of the main cast (Eve Myles, Gareth David-Lloyd, and Kai Owen) are all Welsh.
You mean Touwch-ood?
Old January 3 2014, 01:13 AM   #37
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

Pindar wrote: View Post
I am Scottish, from Edinburgh. It's not the best tv Scots accent I have heard but it's not the worst. It was much worse in the films.

I prefer Doohans accent to Simon Peggs.
It's a taste thing and I think you're very much in the minority amongst Scots. I mean Scotty was an institution but a 5 year-old Scot can work out he's not talking with any kind of recognisable accent. When I was a child I always assumed it was a joke. Simon Pegg's married to a Weegie so he has first hand coaching material, which is why he makes a pretty good fist of it.

He drifts sometimes, which is understandable but he's slightly more consistent than Emma Thompson in Tutti Frutti and I thought she did a fine job.

Did you see Alex Norton's Dream me up Scotty on 23 Dec? It's really excellent. One interesting thing is they're very kind about Mel Gibson's accent in Braveheart. I couldn't get past the first 5 minutes of it so I can't comment on it but I do remember him saying he got the best dialectal coaching from a couple of wee boys from Glasgow who were extras.
Old January 3 2014, 01:48 AM   #38
Dale Sams
Fleet Captain

To me, Welsh always sounded like a cross between 'pirate' and Indian.

You can hear Colm Meaney do one in "The Englishman Who Went up a Hill but Came Down a Mountain".
Dale Sams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2014, 11:57 AM   #39
Pindar
Rear Admiral

Deckerd wrote: View Post
It's a taste thing and I think you're very much in the minority amongst Scots. I mean Scotty was an institution but a 5 year-old Scot can work out he's not talking with any kind of recognisable accent. When I was a child I always assumed it was a joke. Simon Pegg's married to a Weegie so he has first hand coaching material, which is why he makes a pretty good fist of it.

He drifts sometimes, which is understandable but he's slightly more consistent than Emma Thompson in Tutti Frutti and I thought she did a fine job.

Did you see Alex Norton's Dream me up Scotty on 23 Dec? It's really excellent. One interesting thing is they're very kind about Mel Gibson's accent in Braveheart. I couldn't get past the first 5 minutes of it so I can't comment on it but I do remember him saying he got the best dialectal coaching from a couple of wee boys from Glasgow who were extras.
I did see it, it was hillarious.

I don't think Doohans accent was great, just not the worst.

Simon Peggs wasn't any better than Gimli's in Lord of the Rings.
Old January 3 2014, 02:03 PM   #40
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

See I didn't realise Gimli was supposed to be Scottish. D'oh!
Old January 3 2014, 02:05 PM   #41
Pindar
Rear Admiral

Nearly all Dwarves are Scottish.
Old January 3 2014, 02:07 PM   #42
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

That sounds like racial profiling.
Old January 3 2014, 02:31 PM   #43
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

TOSalltheway wrote: View Post
How French did Picard sound ? This is centuries in the future. Scotty is from Aberdeen but could have gone to school in the US, worked in Germany and had a home in Australia. All would affect his accent.
Bottom line, I liked it.

Don't forget in real life Doohan is from Vancouver Canada. Go Canada !
I used to have neighbors who had come over from Scotland. I sometimes had to ask the mother to repeat herself (her daughter and I were classmates in school, so we'd visit back and forth sometimes), but I understood her most of the time. In all honesty, it's the Newfoundland accents I find quite hard to understand sometimes, and whenever I get into a conversation with one of the recent immigrants from various African countries here, there are times when I have trouble following what they're saying.

Lance wrote: View Post
1) Jane Leeves has been living in America for a while, so like Marina Sirtis her accent has slipped a little.
Marina Sirtis' "Betazoid" accent was okay in the first season or two, but she got progressively sloppier with it until in the movies her accent bore no resemblance whatsoever to the one she used in the TV series. By the time she was occasionally guesting on Voyager, she was basically drawling her lines. It was grating to listen to.

Lance wrote: View Post
The new Doctor Who, being made in Wales, is of course a great ambassador for the Welsh accent. Starting with "The Unquiet Dead" in series 1, a Welsh accent or two has never been far away. Particularly on the 'making of' documentaries.

(Mind you, the current show-runner is a Scot.)
I saw several of the documentaries on TV in the marathon when the Space Channel showed Day of the Doctor. I found David Tennant's normal accent quite pleasing to listen to.

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2014, 04:20 PM   #44
Forbin
Admiral

"Weegie"?!!?
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2014, 04:26 PM   #45
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

Someone from Glasgow, I'm guessing.

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote