Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old December 31 2013, 06:50 PM   #16
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson
Re: Comic book intercompany crossovers

Bad Bishop wrote: View Post
I wish there were more of these projects. I have heard that they ended because of sour relationships between Marvel and DC execs. True or false?
True. DC execs were angered by some comments that Joe Quesada made (google "Quesada AOL Comics" and you'll see them). Apparently, so long as Quesada remains at Marvel, there won't be another DC/Marvel crossover.

But, even if Quesada left, I don't see the business logic of a DC/Marvel crossover, because at the end of the day it would be Time Warner crosspromoting a Disney product and vice-versa.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2014, 05:19 PM   #17
Noddy
Captain

Has anyone here read Peter David's Fallen Angel/Illyria crossover? Does that have any canon value at all?

Incidentally, last night I dreamt I saw a Batman/Conan the Barbarian crossover. Yes, really.
Noddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2014, 10:58 AM   #18
Gotham Central
Vice Admiral

View Gotham Central's Twitter Profile

Noddy wrote: View Post
When it comes to crossovers between characters from different comic book companies, I.e. Marvel and DC, there are many. How the crossover is accomplished can be different per story: Sometimes heroes from one universe jump across realities to another, and other times, heroes of both continuities are presented as occupying the same plain of reality.

There have been times when these crossovers have been canon to one or both continuums. DC vs. Marvel and JLA/Avengers were both crossovers of the first type, and both counted. Some crossovers of the second kind seem to count too, as is the case with Batman/Punisher, the events of which were referenced in an issue of the mainstream Batman series. But Batman and Punisher both inhabit totally different universes, right? So how do they meet the way they do here, with no inter-dimensional travel? The best solution, IMO, is that these events occur in a hybrid reality temporarily formed when two universes merge; they soon separate back into their proper forms, though some memories of them persist for a while in the inhabitants afterwards.

But it's when we get to JLA/Avengers that problems crop up. This crossover is of the first kind - inter-dimensional travel - and is canon, as it had repurcussions in mainstream DC, but it posits that any merging of two distinct universes results in widespread cataclysm and destruction....none of which was evident during the earlier mergers which must have occurred. So, from an in-story perspective, how to account for this?
Crossovers with Marvel that did not explicitly reference ID travel took place in alternate universes. IE, they never took place on Earth 1,0,Sigma or New Earth.
And sing along in the age of paranoia

Green Day
Gotham Central is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2014, 11:11 AM   #19
TheMasterOfOrion
Fleet Captain

Kirk hit on the Phoenix

and other classic moments

TheMasterOfOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2014, 08:27 PM   #20
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

That comic was so much better than the TNG vs X-Men (Pat must have been exhausted!) comic and a million times better than the Jan Michael Freedman novel that followed.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2014, 05:55 AM   #21
dragunzng
Rear Admiral

View dragunzng's Twitter Profile

I've always preferred it when the story doesn't try to explain things and just dives into the good stuff, the character relationships. I don't really need to know how these two universes collided unless it's important to the tale being told.
Old January 5 2014, 06:26 AM   #22
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Gary 7 made out with Dark Phoenix.

Shit happened.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2014, 08:53 AM   #23
Reverend
Rear Admiral

I have a vague memory of the Dredd vs. Batman comics and at the time at least I thought they meshed quite well. Not surprising really given the tonal overlap, similar characterization and diametrically opposed viewpoints.

Also, not quite the same thing but didn't Stan Lee do a series where he re-imagined all of the big DC heroes? I can't remember if it was any good or not...which I suppose probably answers it's own question...
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2014, 06:06 PM   #24
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

Batman vs Predator was a little out there.

No reason Bruce should have been able to beat one of them, even with the Huntress' help.
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2014, 06:06 PM   #25
the G-man
Commodore

Noddy wrote: View Post
But it's when we get to JLA/Avengers that problems crop up. This crossover is of the first kind - inter-dimensional travel - and is canon, as it had repurcussions in mainstream DC, but it posits that any merging of two distinct universes results in widespread cataclysm and destruction....none of which was evident during the earlier mergers which must have occurred. So, from an in-story perspective, how to account for this?
I'm just spitballing from memory here, but the JLA/Avengers was arguably the first time that parallel earths merged "post-crisis." The whole point of crisis was that dozens of parallel earths got merged for good and supposedly there weren't any more. Perhaps, the arrival/discovery of additional parallel earths was of earths where merger had repercussions not seen in the earlier merger[s].

As for my favorites, the Shooter-written Superman/Spider-man is probably still my favorite, followed closely by JLA/Avengers.

I also enjoyed Batman/Capt. America and one of the Batman/Spider-man team-ups, though I can't remember which one.

In the case of the Batman/Spiderman book, it was less the story or art and more the moment where Batman gave Spidey a "look" in the Batmobile over some of his usual Parker wisecracks and Peter immediately got embarrassed and apologized to "Batman, sir." I liked it because it made sense for the characters, insofar as Peter is/was about the same age as Dick Greyson and you'd expect him and Batman to end up in a similar dynamic because of their ages.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2014, 08:42 AM   #26
drychlick
Captain

My all time fav. comic is Superman vs Spider man and Batman vs the Hulk ! from the 70's great story! I wish DC and Maviel would make nice and make movies out of them PLEASE ! what you guy should think that should happen? As for the OP. back in the 70 the team up happen and they did not care to explan it ! have a good day
drychlick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2014, 07:28 PM   #27
Noddy
Captain

So, what about the Fallen Angel/Illyria crossover?
Old January 9 2014, 05:20 PM   #28
Noddy
Captain

Anyone remember the cameo by Maggie Walsh, from BtVS, in Greg Cox's first Eugenics Wars novel? As already mentioned, Illyria has met Fallen Angel, who in turn has crossed paths with Crusade Comics' Shi. Be wild if they all did inhabit a shared universe, eh? Shi's encounters with Vampirella and various Marvel and Image characters might be a bit harder to reconcile with Buffy and Trek though....