RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,668
Members: 24,821
Currently online: 431
Newest member: SB118_Laxyn

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old January 3 2014, 06:25 AM   #16
Anwar
Vice Admiral

Re: Episode of the Week: 4x01 "The Best of Both Worlds Part II"

The way the Cube was taken out made sense to me. The best way of stopping a computer's main functions (if you can't outright destroy it) is to put it in Sleep Mode/Hibernate. It keeps the thing at minimal power but it can't DO anything.

The self-destruct was caused by the Borg putting all their power into regenerating when they didn't need to. It sent a massive power surge through systems that didn't need it, causing them to all overload simultaneously with no way to stop it. It's like filling a balloon with more air than it can handle.

I do wish we'd actually see the Borg Cube take damage that actually mattered. That way, when Voyager shows us Aliens who can outright destroy the Borg folks wouldn't be so stunned that it was possible.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2014, 05:17 AM   #17
CorporalCaptain
Admiral

jimbotron wrote: View Post
Maurice wrote: View Post
You make them sleep when they don't need to, they malfunction and go boom.
It's ambiguous, but activating a self-destruct sequence sounds intentional, otherwise that's a pretty specific malfunction.
This is how it played to me at the time. I agree that use of the word activate makes it seem like a failsafe mechanism going off to prevent capture. Sleep rendered the cube helpless, and unable to defend itself, so auto-destruct in order to avoid capture, say activated by a watchdog timer, is a reasonable supposition as to why the cube exploded.

Of course, it's only Shelby's estimate of why it's occurring, whatever she means by it. Plus, she didn't qualify it as either "unintentionally activated" or "intentionally activated," so it could be reasonable to conclude that she can't tell which, in which case neither can we, really.

However, I still have to say, in further agreement with jimbotron, that the specificity of the malfunction, among all the others that hypothetically could have been activated, makes it seemingly unlikely that it was randomly activated.

Later on, in Voyager, we see the Queen ordering cubes to destroy themselves when they malfunction, which fits with intentional scuttling.

Of course, you gotta wonder why the cube exploding—for whatever reason—didn't take the Earth out with it. Maybe the Queen wanted the cube scuttled without destroying Earth.

I agree that the climax was less than satisfying. I'm not going to list all the problems I had with it, some of which echo remarks already made, except to say that seeing Picard back in uniform, even with his band-aids, was one of them. His recovery should have taken quite a few episodes, if not half the season.
Old January 7 2014, 06:42 AM   #18
Anwar
Vice Admiral

Well, Crusher said that it would be easy to remove all the Borg tech implants. The real problem was cutting off his connection to the Collective without killing him.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2014, 06:10 AM   #19
Maurice
Vice Admiral

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
Of course, you gotta wonder why the cube exploding—for whatever reason—didn't take the Earth out with it. Maybe the Queen wanted the cube scuttled without destroying Earth.
Because the Earth has a surface area of 196.9 million square miles and the Cube is maybe 2 cubic miles volume maximum and blew itself to tinier bits thousands of miles above it.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2014, 06:27 AM   #20
CorporalCaptain
Admiral

Maurice wrote: View Post
CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
Because the Earth has a surface area of 196.9 million square miles and the Cube is maybe 2 cubic miles volume maximum and blew itself to tinier bits thousands of miles above it.
Well, alright, maybe it's not an issue to other people. I always felt that a warp core breach in low orbit around a planet should do some damage.

Granted, we don't know there's anything like that happening here. But if a warp core breach could hurt a planet and a Borg cube is orders of magnitude more powerful than a starship, then I'd expect a big boom, is what I'm saying. A big, earth-shattering kaboom.

I may be misremembering, but wasn't the cube in low orbit when it exploded? Or had it moved back out to intercept the Ent-D?
Old January 9 2014, 07:30 AM   #21
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Who says the cube has a warp core? I'm not saying there's be no fallout from the explosion, but it wouldn't "take out" the Earth any more than the D's warp core breach over Veridian III wiped out that planet.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2014, 08:02 AM   #22
CorporalCaptain
Admiral

No worries.
Old January 9 2014, 02:48 PM   #23
MikeS
Fleet Captain

Jeyl wrote: View Post
It shouldn't be as easy as taking it off like a glove. Anyone think it would have played better if Picard had actually lost his whole arm and had it replaced with a mechanical one?
Funny. I was thinking the exact same thing when I watched this episode this time around.

That three seconds of SD is really jarring isn't it! It even took my wife out of the story and she didn't get the whole remaster project.
Old January 15 2014, 03:31 PM   #24
Jeyl
Commodore

Dangit. Looks like I may just have to use standard quality pictures for the banners from here on out since I cannot edit my main post to incorporate them when Trekcore uploads the HD captures. But since I did the work, here is the banner and stinger for this episode.

But seriously, thanks Trekcore for uploading the caps for me to use here. You do excellent work!
Jeyl is offline   Reply With Quote