Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old December 30 2013, 06:24 PM   #1
Lance
Commodore

Should they have had a female Commodore in TOS?

It seems to me that one of the more unsavory things that people use as a stick to beat TOS with -- the whole "no female captains" thing spelled out by insane mentalist Janice Lester in TURNABOUT INTRUDER -- could have been easily seen off by simply casting an actress as one of the Starfleet-commodore-of-the-week in seasons one or two, who is a superior of Kirk. Would have easily underlined that not only are women starship commanders, they can be higher in rank than the leading man of the show! I kind of like how they did this with Commodore Stone in COURT MARTIAL. A black man, who is also Captain Kirk's superior officer, without it ever being mentioned or made note of as in any way unusual. That's progressive.

Considering that Gene Roddenberry was progressive enough to cast a woman as the Enterprise's first officer in the pilot episode (admittedly she was being played by his girlfriend...), it seems a shame they couldn't have extended this to other Starfleet flag officers, ala Commodore Stone.

As it is, the apparent chauvanism of Starfleet in TURNABOUT INTRUDER stands in contrast to earlier in the very same season, where THE ENTERPRISE INCIDENT clearly shows us that the Romulans are happy for their women to command ships. Doesn't paint our 'heroes' in a very good light by comparison.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2013, 06:45 PM   #2
SnowboredShipCapt'n
Commodore

Re: Should they have had a female Commodore in TOS?

But if Roddenberry couldn't get away with a female First Officer, how would he have expected to get away with a female Commodore, especially early in the series?
SnowboredShipCapt'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2013, 06:49 PM   #3
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Alas, "Turnabout Intruder" was the final episode to be aired, so there was no opporunity to fix things by casting a female captain or commodore until the movies came along over a decade later . . . .
Old December 30 2013, 06:51 PM   #4
Lance
Commodore

BoredShipCapt'n wrote: View Post
But if Roddenberry couldn't get away with a female First Officer, how would he have expected to get away with a female Commodore, especially early in the series?
How did he get away with giving Kirk a superior officer of color?

If the role was simply cast as a female, on the merit of the performance given, then I think it would've been passed by the suits without an issue.

My impression was that the suits didn't have a problem with a female in a strong leadership position per se. They just had a problem with the actress who Roddenberry had cast in that role in THE CAGE. It was the nepotism they wanted to discourage.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2013, 08:36 PM   #5
Avro Arrow
Fleet Captain

Lance wrote: View Post
Should they have had a female Commodore in TOS?
Yes. End of line.

My impression was that the suits didn't have a problem with a female in a strong leadership position per se. They just had a problem with the actress who Roddenberry had cast in that role in THE CAGE. It was the nepotism they wanted to discourage.
Yes, this is my current understanding as well. My *original* understanding was that they protested against having a female as second-in-command, but I believe it was later revealed that Roddenberry just spun it this way, and the actual objection was to Barrett. Of course, because of this history, the perception that the network objected to a female first officer persists to this day.

Of course, I wasn't there, so I guess who knows. Recollections can become muddled over time.
Old December 30 2013, 10:56 PM   #6
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

How did he get away with giving Kirk a superior officer of color?
Because advertisers figured minorities had money to spend as well and they wanted it.
Old December 30 2013, 11:35 PM   #7
urbandefault
Captain

I always took Janice Lester's comment about no women captains as the ravings of a lunatic. She couldn't make the cut, so she broadened it to include all women.

As for replacing the character of the first officer? I figure Gene did it and blamed it on NBC.

A black man as commodore? It could just have been a case of casting the best actor who auditioned.

I don't give these things much thought in real life. Putting the best people in the jobs they are qualified for just makes sense to me, no matter where their reproductive organs are located, or what color their skin might be.
urbandefault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2013, 11:35 PM   #8
Armored Saint
Fleet Captain

A black man, who is also Captain Kirk's superior officer, without it ever being mentioned or made note of as in any way unusual. That's progressive.
Racial and gender issues are not exactly the same thing. A black man is a man.

From an ethnic and cultural point of view, TOS is a quite US-centric universalit utopia. You have Sulu, Uhura and Chekov (during the Cold War Space Race), but most surnames on the Enterprise are English, Scottish or Irish. It doesn't mean that TOS was not really progressive.
Armored Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2013, 11:43 PM   #9
Warped9
Admiral

This issue was recently hashed out thoroughly here: http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=225631
Old December 31 2013, 01:11 AM   #10
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

BoredShipCapt'n wrote: View Post
Exactly. The myth that the network couldn't accept a strong female leading character has been thoroughly debunked, not the least reason that there were already strong leading ladies on television at the time. It was Roddenberry casting his mistress in the role they had a problem with.
Old December 31 2013, 01:33 AM   #11
arch101
Fleet Captain

For all it's progressiveness, there were certainly a couple of missed opportunities where a woman Captain could have been easily done. One that comes to mind is that one of the starship commanders in The Ultimate Computer could have been a woman. Wouldn't have been a big deal to show- there were 4 other starships. I agree that Lester was a lunatic. The fact that we saw Number One as a first officer 13 years before makes the whole notion of no female captains just plain silly.
Old December 31 2013, 04:02 AM   #12
The Old Building & Loan
Vice Admiral

Seems like the general subject of Janice Lester and females in command has been done to death around here lately...so I'll say yes, sure would have been nice if TOS had clearly shown a woman at or above Captain's rank in Starfleet, so we wouldn't be constantly going around and around about it 45 years later....
Old December 31 2013, 04:08 AM   #13
uniderth
Commander

Perhaps there were some important founding members of the Federation that would not join unless there were females were restricted from being Captains. Then eventually these planet's cultures changed and the restriction on female command officers was lifted sometime in the 2270s.
Old December 31 2013, 04:50 AM   #14
Armored Saint
Fleet Captain

Perhaps Federation species had been all contaminated by a Klingon experimental virus which was finally cured just before the Whale probe arrival.
Armored Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2013, 04:59 AM   #15
Avro Arrow
Fleet Captain

uniderth wrote: View Post
Perhaps there were some important founding members of the Federation that would not join unless there were females were restricted from being Captains. Then eventually these planet's cultures changed and the restriction on female command officers was lifted sometime in the 2270s.

I prefer to believe that the Federation was not founded with deliberate sexism included as an inherent part of its founding.