February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Wheaton Buys Wesley Crusher Hoodie
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old January 13 2014, 09:58 PM   #121
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh
Re: Sherlock - Series 3

A thought just occurred to me. Anderson's appearance at Baker Street in this episode is a stark contrast to his previous visit way back in "A Study in Pink." Both times he's a willing, eager participant to someone else's drive against Sherlock, but his motivations for being there are completely opposite.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2014, 10:27 PM   #122
Starkers
Admiral

To be honest I actually expected Watson to pull the gun and shoot Magnusson rather than Sherlock.
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2014, 01:54 AM   #123
Shawnster
Fleet Captain

3chordboy wrote: View Post
I can't believe they killed Mary off at the wedding. that's so cold...poor John
You are an evil man.
Shawnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2014, 08:58 AM   #124
Dimesdan
Rear Admiral

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dimesdan

Starkers wrote: View Post
To be honest I actually expected Watson to pull the gun and shoot Magnusson rather than Sherlock.
It was obvious that the information needed to be destroyed and because it was only contained in CAM's mind palace, removing the head or destroying the brain was the only way to actually do that and I was expecting Watson to shoot CAM when he started flicking him in the face.

Looking back on series three and actually having all the pieces, unlike series one and two which were more covertly linked with Moriarty in the back ground, in series three, the same could be said with CAM, but the three episodes feel more overtly linked and I'm sure it was someone here and not a newspaper review yesterday that said it was nice for Sherlock's return, the ramifications of said return for John and then John's new relationship to bed in properly across the four-and-half-hours.

Roll on the BluRay of the three series next week and time for a massive rewatch of all nine episodes and try and get a screen capture of all of Sherlock's pressure points.

I'm on twitter now. @DimesDaniel
Dimesdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2014, 09:48 AM   #125
Starkers
Admiral

Yes looking forward to be able to see all of CAM's on screen info (I could have just paused/rewound the telly of course but I didn't want to slow the momentum!)
Old January 14 2014, 10:43 AM   #126
Lonemagpie
Writer

It was actually very much building to that - strange that they then had Sherlock do it.

Sherlock is many things, but not a murderer, though he's perfectly capable of letting someone die. Watson is a doctor, but he's also a soldier, and so prepared to kill when necessary - and, hell, he shot the guy in the very first episode.

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2014, 11:09 AM   #127
Starkers
Admiral

I guess Watson had more to lose than Sherlock. Shotting the guy in the first episode was something that might have been hard to prove, this would have been difficult to hush up given Mycroft and a load of soldiers were watching.
Old January 14 2014, 11:20 AM   #128
Dimesdan
Rear Admiral

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dimesdan

I was discussing this, as well as what I said earlier with the missus when she was getting ready for work.

The reason why she thinks Sherlock and not John shot CAM was because of his wedding vow, he would always be there for him and I don't think he thought John would actually shoot CAM even though he had the gun.

I'm on twitter now. @DimesDaniel
Dimesdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2014, 12:36 PM   #129
USS Triumphant
Rear Admiral

Dimesdan wrote: View Post
It was obvious that the information needed to be destroyed and because it was only contained in CAM's mind palace, removing the head or destroying the brain was the only way to actually do that and I was expecting Watson to shoot CAM when he started flicking him in the face.
Had it been me, I'd have shot him as soon as he went into his little white room, sat down, and tapped his head. I was a little disappointed with how long it took Sherlock and Watson to come to the logical conclusion.
Old January 14 2014, 01:59 PM   #130
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

Roll on the BluRay of the three series next week and time for a massive rewatch of all nine episodes and try and get a screen capture of all of Sherlock's pressure points.
Yes looking forward to be able to see all of CAM's on screen info (I could have just paused/rewound the telly of course but I didn't want to slow the momentum!)
Despite not wanting to slow down the momentum, I had to pause for each of them because I wanted to see all of the information right there and then.

Interestingly, while it's made to look like CAM is scrolling through a long list of pressure points for Sherlock, there are actually only half a dozen or so. From memory (because I'm at work and can't check right now): Irene Adler, John Watson, opium, Redbeard. I know there were at least a couple of more, but that was it. The same list was just repeated ad naseum.

I was discussing this, as well as what I said earlier with the missus when she was getting ready for work.

The reason why she thinks Sherlock and not John shot CAM was because of his wedding vow, he would always be there for him and I don't think he thought John would actually shoot CAM even though he had the gun.
This is how I saw it from the get go and I'm actually surprised that so many people were thrown off by Sherlock doing it. I guess it helps that I knew the title for this episode going into "The Sign of Three," so the moment I heard Sherlock's declaration, I knew that was going to be a big pay off in this episode.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2014, 02:22 PM   #131
Lonemagpie
Writer

USS Triumphant wrote: View Post
Had it been me, I'd have shot him as soon as he went into his little white room, sat down, and tapped his head. I was a little disappointed with how long it took Sherlock and Watson to come to the logical conclusion.
Not half - I spent almost the whole 90 minutes saying to my wife "somebody should just shoot the cunt; problem solved."

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2014, 02:25 PM   #132
Eduardo
Commander

There are just six of them, and you can guess almost all of them (it was the same list scrolling over and over).

Mrs Hudson's scan was more interesting.

Last edited by Eduardo; January 14 2014 at 04:38 PM.
Eduardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2014, 03:04 PM   #133
Gov Kodos
Admiral

Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
USS Triumphant wrote: View Post
Not half - I spent almost the whole 90 minutes saying to my wife "somebody should just shoot the cunt; problem solved."
Don't even have to shoot him, if folks are squeamish. The right amount of domoic acid will take care of his faultless memory.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2014, 06:05 PM   #134
The Stig
Rear Admiral

When I saw Mary at CAM's penthouse, I assumed that she would shoot him and the remainder of the episode would be Sherlock and Watson diverting police attention away from her, with the end result of Watson moving back in with Holmes and Mary on the run again. Of course, the baby complicates matters and the conclusion we did get was far more true to the characters, IMHO.

I read somewhere that Watson should thank Sherlock for training him to forgive people, and that's not far off.

All we know is, he's called The Stig.
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2014, 08:20 PM   #135
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

That "3 second" mind palace self rescue of Sherlock belongs somewhere among the most awesome moments of television!
Timelord Victorious is offline   Reply With Quote