Ortiz Art Mugs
By: T'Bonz on Jan 28

Ingham Passes
By: T'Bonz on Jan 28

Star Trek Online Celebrates Five Years
By: T'Bonz on Jan 27

WizKids/Star Trek Online Caption Contest
By: T'Bonz on Jan 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old January 13 2014, 11:06 AM   #106
Lonemagpie
Writer

Re: Sherlock - Series 3

Sherringford is the other brother mentioned, BTW.

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2014, 12:17 PM   #107
USS Intrepid
Commodore

trekkiebaggio wrote: View Post
That was far better than the other two episodes this year. Wasn't a massive fan of the cliffhanger, I was thinking that it could just be an associate too, but the scene after the credits was Moriarty himself not just an image, so that makes me think that they are going to bring him back (twin brother perhaps?).

Not sure about that. If they do bring him back then the end of season 2 just seems like a waste really. If they do bring him back they probably won't explain how he faked blowing his brains out, they'll just let the fans come up with theories and then film a few of those and say, 'take your pick'.
Or alternatively, this is just misdirection, and the return of Moriarty will be glossed over when the show returns. Maybe it'll just be an old case that's already solved and occasionally referenced when series 4 finally airs.

FWIW, I liked that they didn't just send him off into exile.
Old January 13 2014, 12:28 PM   #108
Relayer1
Rear Admiral

After a thorough search (well, a five minute flick) on the internet - Sherrinford/Sherringford Holmes is a possible elder brother to Mycroft and Sherlock - the name appeared in the original notes for Holmes as a possible first name instead of Sherlock.

Thinking is that Sherrinford would have inherited the Holmes estate meaning the common path for the next son would be into the Civil Service, namely Mycroft.

Sherrinford has been used by later authors including (somewhat ironically considering the TV Sherlock's pedigree) in the Doctor Who novel All Consuming Fire by Andy Lane, in which he is part of an alien worshiping cult and shot by Sherlock !

The reference to him in episode 9 could just be a throwaway, but in Sherlock such insignificant things often crop up further down the line. The 'And we know what happened to him don't we ?' mention could easily refer to his former 'cult' activities for anyone interested - no need to mention aliens, and Holmes boys are notably averse to staying dead...

It would be a fantastic way to bring in Matt Smith although the ages wouldn't tie in very well. I can see Sherlock switching to one off specials in the future with the main cast's ongoing success in Hollywood, and the guesting of Smith in one would be great.

PS - Magpie, do you know of any plans for novelizations of the Sherlock episodes, or possible tie-ins ? Would you be up for it ?
Old January 13 2014, 12:40 PM   #109
Lonemagpie
Writer

Relayer1 wrote: View Post
PS - Magpie, do you know of any plans for novelizations of the Sherlock episodes, or possible tie-ins ? Would you be up for it ?
No novelisations or tie-ins AFAIK, cos they simply reissue tie-in editions of the original ACD books.

Sure I'd be up for it if there were.

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2014, 01:01 PM   #110
Relayer1
Rear Admiral

Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
Relayer1 wrote: View Post
No novelisations or tie-ins AFAIK, cos they simply reissue tie-in editions of the original ACD books.

Sure I'd be up for it if there were.
I'd say the show was easily different enough from the source material to make novelization or spin-off tie-ins worthwhile. I'd buy 'em anyway !

Fingers crossed...
Old January 13 2014, 01:06 PM   #111
Timelord Victorious
Rear Admiral

Speaking of Matt Smith.

Benedict seemed to channel the Doctor for a moment for me whit the "Pay attention!" bit.
Timelord Victorious is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2014, 03:00 PM   #112
Starkers
Admiral

I thought that was pretty spectacular.

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2014, 03:53 PM   #113
Relayer1
Rear Admiral

Apparently seasons 4 and 5 are in development, with a Christmas day episode in 11.5 months time !
Old January 13 2014, 07:22 PM   #114
The Stig
Rear Admiral

I was a fan of this entire season and was pleasantly surprised that they gave Sherlock's return from the grave the time it needed to resonate. I felt fairly confident that Sherlock was going to shoot Magnusson when they left the Holmes estate, however. Sherlock may have been hoping that there was a physical vault to raid, but he did at least appear to have considered the alternatives.

In any case, the acting award goes to Martin Freeman during the scene at Baker St between himself, Sherlock and 'Mary.' His unrestrained fury towards Mary and Sherlock was a sight to see. Benedict Cumberbatch is the popular hero of this show, but Freeman really shone this season and in that scene in particular.

A great finale to a very entertaining trio of episodes. Now we get to wait and wonder, just how(or if) did Moriarty survive?

All we know is, he's called The Stig.
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2014, 08:15 PM   #115
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

That was a very, very good episode and a great cliffhanger, albeit not as good as the previous two. I'm not entirely convinced Moriarty is actually back, but at the same time, I figured he would return in some way considering we never got a conclusive answer to what happened to his body.

I figure the name drop of the forgotten Holmes brother is not a casual, accidental one and I have a feeling he will have a direct connect to Moriarty's return.

Can someone refresh my memory? I know Redbeard was referred to before but I can't for the life of me recall the exact inference. Was it in the last episode or was it not-so-coincidentally in "The Hounds of Baskerville?"

Lastly, in the words of John Locke, "We're gonna need to watch that again."

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2014, 08:27 PM   #116
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
Sherringford is the other brother mentioned, BTW.
Do they name Sherrinford in the episode?

What's interesting is that Sherrinford isn't Canonical. Yes, the existence of an elder Holmes brother had been inferred (since Mycroft works in government and doesn't live at the familial estate), but on the subject of Holmes' family Doyle is silent.

William S. Baring-Gould names him in his biography of Holmes, but there are other pastiches that have named him otherwise. (I've also seen Marchmont.)

And, of course, Gene Wilder played Sigerson, Holmes' younger (and smarter) brother in a delightful film.

Speaking of Holmes siblings, I like his sister Enola in a series of YA books by Nancy Springer, but don't try to work out the chronology of who's born when because it will make your mind bleed.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2014, 08:58 PM   #117
Serial thread killer
Rear Admiral

View Serial thread killer's Twitter Profile

Could Moriarty be the other Brother.
Old January 13 2014, 09:01 PM   #118
Saul
Rear Admiral

Could it be Colonel James Moriarty, the brother of Moriarty? I remember the Moff mentioning in a commentary that they had plans to address that.
Old January 13 2014, 09:05 PM   #119
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

The Stig wrote: View Post
I was a fan of this entire season and was pleasantly surprised that they gave Sherlock's return from the grave the time it needed to resonate. I felt fairly confident that Sherlock was going to shoot Magnusson when they left the Holmes estate, however. Sherlock may have been hoping that there was a physical vault to raid, but he did at least appear to have considered the alternatives.
I thought for a minute that Watson was going to wipe out a tire iron and brain him with it.
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2014, 09:38 PM   #120
Relayer1
Rear Admiral

JoeZhang wrote: View Post
The Stig wrote: View Post
I thought for a minute that Watson was going to wipe out a tire iron and brain him with it.
That would have been fantastic...