Pegg Co-writing Star Trek 3
By: T'Bonz on Jan 22

Stewart Narrated NASA Documentary
By: T'Bonz on Jan 21

Star Trek 3 Filming To Begin
By: T'Bonz on Jan 21

IDW Publishing Trek Comics For April 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jan 20

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old January 2 2014, 02:22 PM   #31
Starkers
Admiral

Re: Sherlock - Series 3

Andrew_Kearley wrote: View Post
bigdaddy wrote: View Post

Someone with the show said that the three 90 minutes movies () are still longer than every "series" of a British sitcom ever made.
Dad's Army series 3, series 4 and series 5 would all beg to differ.
Actually series 2 of Moffat's Coupling would as well, 9x30 minute episodes!

Plus the episode last night wasn't actually even 90 minutes long!

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2014, 08:25 PM   #32
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

Wonderful episode. I loved the humor, the Freeman/Cumberbatch rapport, the multi-explanations (I'm not entirely convinced what Sherlock told Philip was true), John's strong reaction to Sherlock's survival as well as everyone else's varied reactions (although it's too bad Donovan wasn't in this episode), and even the meta references towards the fans (including Sherlock/Jim shipping). A little light on story, yes, but the emotional resonance throughout the episode made it worth while. I also loved the sly Moffat Doctor Who reference ("I believe in Sherlock." "Yeah, but that's not going to bring him back.") and how Philip has gone completely off the rails, batshit insane.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2014, 10:54 PM   #33
Starscape
Fleet Captain

Did Sherlock actually visit Philip? I got the impression that it was just Philip hallucinating - he even admits that Sherlock wouldn't be wasting time on him.

That's the way it crumbles... cookie-wise.
Starscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2014, 10:57 PM   #34
Count Zero
Decidedly something

So, who was the mysterious person at the end of the episode? Any guesses? Any hints I overlooked or forgot about?
Old January 3 2014, 09:04 AM   #35
.:: TSN ::.
Lieutenant Commander

Starscape wrote: View Post
Did Sherlock actually visit Philip? I got the impression that it was just Philip hallucinating - he even admits that Sherlock wouldn't be wasting time on him.
I would say no, he didnt visit him. Seeing how he ripped off all his papers at the end I would say that Philip has lost his mind.

Count Zero wrote: View Post
So, who was the mysterious person at the end of the episode? Any guesses? Any hints I overlooked or forgot about?
Well, there is a partly familiar name, atleast to Sherlock fans, in episode descriptions on the first post of this thread..
.:: TSN ::. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2014, 10:00 AM   #36
MacLeod
Admiral

Starkers wrote: View Post
Andrew_Kearley wrote: View Post
bigdaddy wrote: View Post

Someone with the show said that the three 90 minutes movies () are still longer than every "series" of a British sitcom ever made.
Dad's Army series 3, series 4 and series 5 would all beg to differ.
Actually series 2 of Moffat's Coupling would as well, 9x30 minute episodes!

Plus the episode last night wasn't actually even 90 minutes long!

Add to the list Red Dwarf VII & VIII.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2014, 12:44 PM   #37
spocksbrain
Lieutenant Commander

I thought it was obvious that it was Mycroft at the end and that it was Mycroft who kidnapped Watson. The kidnapping served a dual purpose: first, it got Watson working with Sherlock again, which served Mycroft's needs, as Sherlock is at his best with Watson. Second, Sherlock was going on and on about loneliness and friendship and Mycroft has decided to study the phenomenon and dissect what this friendship thing is really all about, hence the ending where he is literally studying Sherlock not only saving Watson but feeling emotions towards him. Plus, those were clearly Mycroft's light blue eyes.
spocksbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2014, 01:05 PM   #38
Lonemagpie
Writer

It was Lars Mikkelsen, from The Killing, who's been cast as this year's Big Bad.

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2014, 01:39 PM   #39
ROBE
Commander

V for Vendetta ripped off Guy Fawkes failed plot to blow up Parliament.
ROBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2014, 02:40 PM   #40
Lonemagpie
Writer

ROBE wrote: View Post
V for Vendetta ripped off Guy Fawkes failed plot to blow up Parliament.
Remind me of the part where Fawkes and Catesby tried to use an underground carriage filled with C4 in an unused Underground line...

Old January 3 2014, 03:45 PM   #41
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

A canon character from the books, an exceptional black mail artist. The Jeremy Brett adaptation of the book in his series was one of the better ones, hopefully Benedict's will be too.
Old January 3 2014, 04:05 PM   #42
Lonemagpie
Writer

Chemahkuu wrote: View Post
A canon character from the books, an exceptional black mail artist. The Jeremy Brett adaptation of the book in his series was one of the better ones, hopefully Benedict's will be too.
They've changed his name a bit for this series, mind you...

Old January 3 2014, 04:48 PM   #43
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
Chemahkuu wrote: View Post
Does anyone know why? I'm not all familiar with the Doyle stories (I own them but they're buried in my reading list) beyond what I've seen on this show, the Guy Ritchie films, and what I've read on Wikipedia, so I don't see the difference in the two names.

Old January 3 2014, 05:28 PM   #44
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Emh wrote: View Post
Does anyone know why?
I'd guess that Charles Augustus Magnusson, the Sherlock character, will be Norwegian or Swedish rather than Doyle's Englishman.

Moffat says he's "terrifying."

I've also heard the episode will end of a cliffhanger.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2014, 06:59 PM   #45
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
Emh wrote: View Post
Does anyone know why?
I'd guess that Charles Augustus Magnusson, the Sherlock character, will be Norwegian or Swedish rather than Doyle's Englishman.
Ah, that would make sense.

Not surprised we'll get another cliffhanger. Hopefully that'll mean we'll definitely get another series. I know Cumberbatch has said there will be one but nothing is confirmed yet, I believe.