RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,684
Members: 24,206
Currently online: 948
Newest member: Trekker_Tokyo

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old December 30 2013, 05:40 PM   #1
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Sherlock - Series 3

***SPOILERS***

Can't believe it's been two years since the last series. BBC's Sherlock, which places the iconic character in modern times begins its third series on January 1, 2014 on BBC One. Series 3 will consist of three 90-minute episodes.

"The Empty Hearse"

Two years on from reports of his Reichenbach Fall demise, Sherlock resurfaces as London comes under threat of a huge terrorist attack. John, though, has mixed feelings - he's delighted by the return of his best friend, but harbours worries that the consulting detective's reappearance will have an adverse affect on his settled domestic life, in particular his romance with Mary Morstan.

"The Sign of Three"

Sherlock faces his biggest challenge of all – delivering a Best Man’s speech on John’s wedding day! But all isn’t quite as it seems. Mortal danger stalks the reception – and someone might not make it to the happy couple’s first dance. Sherlock must thank the bridesmaids, solve the case and stop a killer.

"His Last Vow"

A case of stolen letters leads Sherlock Holmes into a long conflict with Charles Augustus Magnussen, the Napoleon of blackmail, and the one man he truly hates. But how do you tackle a foe who knows the personal weakness of every person of importance in the Western world?

- Source
And if you haven't seen it already, check out the prequel mini episode…

Official Website | IMDb Page | Wikipedia Entry
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2013, 12:22 AM   #2
Haggis and tatties
Rear Admiral

Re: Sherlock - Series 3

OMG!!!, Confirmed, weeping angels in sherlock season 3. lol

Haggis and tatties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2013, 12:59 AM   #3
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

I rewatched all six episodes and the mini-episode today in preparation. I can't wait!

One thing I noticed this time around that I never noticed before: When Sherlock and John are fleeing the cops in "The Reichnbach Fall," giant spray-painted letters "IOU" with angel wings are seen in the background. Another layer of Moriarty's message to Sherlock but, as far as the audience knows, goes unnoticed by Sherlock.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2014, 06:01 PM   #4
Agent Richard07
Admiral

I like this promotional shot...

Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2014, 07:45 PM   #5
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

One of the local PBS stations in the USA is showing all six movies (I call them movies because having a three episode season is just silly.) todays in a row and PBS doesn't have commercials and I don't think they edit them for time.
Old January 1 2014, 11:29 PM   #6
Jax
Admiral

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland

From that ending do I presume...

Will the real Moriarty please stand up?
Glengarry Glen Ross (B-) The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (B+) Dark Skies (B-) Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom (B-) Gravity (C+) Captain Phillips (B) Now You See Me (B) Escape Plan (B-) Captain America: The Winter Soldier (B+)
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2014, 11:35 PM   #7
MacLeod
Admiral

bigdaddy wrote: View Post
One of the local PBS stations in the USA is showing all six movies (I call them movies because having a three episode season is just silly.) todays in a row and PBS doesn't have commercials and I don't think they edit them for time.
3 episodes is on the short side for a season, but some shows have only had six episode seasons. It all depends on what you compare it against and UK shows should be compared against UK shows.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2014, 11:39 PM   #8
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

and we don't have seasons anyway :-)
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2014, 11:44 PM   #9
3chordboy
Lieutenant Commander

which is why British shows often have series rather than seasons

less than two weeks until this current series is over, sad times...however, if they maintain the quality of The Empty Hearse I will be more than happy. blinding episode.

and in response to Jax, no not the real Moriarty...something completely different and dangerous altogether!
3chordboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2014, 12:08 AM   #10
Lonemagpie
Writer

Hilarious, good character piece, great performances, a little too much meta addressing the fans, and too little plot. That was Sherlock, in a nutshell. (Moffat seems to have taken a holiday from plots in general this festive season.)

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2014, 12:14 AM   #11
Asbo Zaprudder
Rear Admiral

Nice touch having Benedict Cumberbatch's real parents (Wanda Ventham and Timothy Carlton, uncredited) playing the Holmes brothers' parents.
Old January 2 2014, 12:20 AM   #12
Wereghost
Someone's dog

Liked it very much overall, but its strengths seemed to have more to do with individual scenes than with ongoing narrative. The Mycroft/Sherlock one-upmanship was a highlight for me.

I'm starting to think that both Holmeses are aliens, adopted by a childless couple.

Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
Hilarious, good character piece, great performances, a little too much meta addressing the fans, and too little plot. That was Sherlock, in a nutshell. (Moffat seems to have taken a holiday from plots in general this festive season.)
Pretty much my sentiments too, though I didn't mind the meta. The Empty Hearse was written by Mark Gatiss, by the way; Moffat's is episode 3 this year.
Old January 2 2014, 12:39 AM   #13
Lonemagpie
Writer

Wereghost wrote: View Post
Liked it very much overall, but its strengths seemed to have more to do with individual scenes than with ongoing narrative. The Mycroft/Sherlock one-upmanship was a highlight for me.

I'm starting to think that both Holmeses are aliens, adopted by a childless couple.

Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
Pretty much my sentiments too, though I didn't mind the meta. The Empty Hearse was written by Mark Gatiss, by the way; Moffat's is episode 3 this year.
Yeah, but he's still showrunner... (I did miss the writing credit due to being in the kitchen at the time, though).

Had no idea Wanda Ventham was his mum!

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2014, 12:41 AM   #14
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

MacLeod wrote: View Post
3 episodes is on the short side for a season, but some shows have only had six episode seasons. It all depends on what you compare it against and UK shows should be compared against UK shows.

Someone with the show said that the three 90 minutes movies () are still longer than every "series" of a British sitcom ever made.
Old January 2 2014, 12:59 AM   #15
Relayer1
Commodore

The Gatiss episodes have not been the strongest in any season.