Red Shirt Diaries Returns Next Month
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

ISS Astronaut May Join Trek Fan Film

Quinto Sports New Trek Uniform

Star Trek: Renegades Released Early
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old December 31 2013, 02:56 PM   #16
YellowSubmarine
Rear Admiral

Re: Season 1 is underrated, and better than season 7

Season 1 is filled with so many episodes that were painful for me to watch.

Every Star Trek series carries something magical and unearthly about it, which is what usually made it so exciting, even the mundane episodes were nice to see. But with the jewels of this season, the outworldliness of the setting mixed with the unpleasant stories made me actually experience some really strong negative sensations. Took me to a lot of places I didn't like. And it didn't help I was under 10 watching them.

I admit that makes Season 1 interesting in its own way, but I rarely come back to it. I only ever rewatch the last episode, but that's a guilty pleasure of mine – it's no good, and it's certainly worse than the story of the binars, and Lore, and most of all Conspiracy.

Thinking about it, it would have been really nice if Conspiracy was somehow about the Borg, Q stories were done without alien holodecks (like All Good Things was) and if a Q story didn't open the season. The ideas to explore drug addiction, vastly different cultures, and stuff appeal to me much, but suffered very badly from the writing and execution. It is natural for a first season struggling to get bold ideas right, but it's easy for me to complain about it in hindsight.

It seems so easy to say, "meh, the guys from The Neutral Zone shouldn't have been straightly copied from stereotypes", but whoever was writing it was probably focusing on the awesomeness of the idea of bringing unsuspecting present humans into the future, while bringing back the Romulans. There's no way that could go wrong now, could it? A woman fainting after seeing a Klingon and a Klingon banging his head in the door like an utter moron might have seemed like a stroke of genius at that time.

tl;dr - as long as I don't have to watch Code of Honor again, S1 is quite fine for what it was. But better than S7 is pushing it, even if S7 wasn't the greatest thing ever.
Old December 31 2013, 09:00 PM   #17
robau
Lieutenant Commander

The first season was dripping in idealism and I love it for that.
robau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2013, 09:16 PM   #18
Richard Baker
Captain

Season One for me was hard to watch- everyone was stopping and making speeches, establishing their unique character and settling into the role.
'Encounter at Farpoint' was the worst- EVERYBODY had such a unique and complicated history I remember thinking "My God- does anybody on that ship just have a normal life and joined up with Starfleet??"
Richard Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2013, 10:38 PM   #19
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

It's been a long time since I've watched Season 7 (on my plate in the foreseeable future), but going on memory, I prefer the show that had become comfortable with itself to the embarrassing awkwardness of Season 1.
The Old Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2013, 10:45 PM   #20
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

TNG didn't really get good until "Measure of a Man."
Old December 31 2013, 11:31 PM   #21
CorporalClegg
Admiral

I agree. It's totally underappreciated.

And, not only would I agree it's better than season seven, I'd even argue it's better than season six.

TNG eventually got to the point where it was repetitive and dull, and everyone seemed like they were simply going through the motions.
Old January 1 2014, 01:29 AM   #22
CrazyMatt
Captain

Seasons One and Seven were similar only in their unevenness. Quality wise, Season Seven's best episodes ("The Pegasus," "Lower Decks," "Preemptive Strike," "All Good Things") are miles above the best episodes of Season One ("The Big Goodbye," "Conspiracy" and "11001001").

Conversely, while Season Seven had a number of forgettable episodes, none approached the banality of Season One dogs like "Code Of Honor," "Justice" and "Symbiosis."

Why?

Now for some heresy!

Let's be honest... a major reason for this is the comparative involvement of Gene Roddenberry, who was simultaneously Star Trek's greatest asset and greatest liability, as he had been since he first pitched TOS in the early 60's. Unfortunately by the 80s, the balance had swung well towards the liability side.

Season One was the product of GR's utopian dreams run amok... a bevy of heavy "message" stories that did little to entertain the audience in the process. This "GR Utopia Syndrome" would dog TNG until he began to step back from day-to-day production, allowing the fruits of labors from Michael Piller, Ira Behr (albeit briefly), Ron Moore, et al. to carry the show to greater heights than could be imagined based on what we saw during Season One.
Old January 1 2014, 01:34 AM   #23
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

I'll second the heresy.
The Old Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2014, 02:41 AM   #24
CrazyMatt
Captain

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
... not only would I agree it's better than season seven, I'd even argue it's better than season six.
Yikes!

THE RIDDLER: Riddle me this Caped Crusaders: what do these Season Six TNG episodes have in common?

"Relics"
"True Q"
"A Fistful of Datas"
"Chain of Command, Parts I and II"
"Ship in a Bottle"
"Face of the Enemy"
"Tapestry"
"Starship Mine"
"Frame of Mind"
"Rightful Heir"
"Timescape"

ROBIN: That's easy... they're all much better episodes than ANY episode from Season One!

BATMAN: That's right, old chum.

Last edited by CrazyMatt; January 1 2014 at 06:46 AM.
CrazyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2014, 03:36 AM   #25
just.a.trekkie
Ensign

Two words: no beard
just.a.trekkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2014, 05:36 AM   #26
JirinPanthosa
Rear Admiral

I just saw Devil in the Dark for the first time.

And simultaneously lost a huge amount of the respect I had for Home Soil. It's pretty much the exact same episode only it's an energy wisp instead of a big silly-looking blob carpet.

@robau

The entire series was dripping with idealism, only later seasons carried it more charismatically.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2014, 08:32 AM   #27
Lance
Commodore

just.a.trekkie wrote: View Post
Two words: no beard
You're right. The lack of a beard totally makes season one better than season 7.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2014, 12:57 PM   #28
desfem79
Lieutenant Commander

CrazyMatt wrote: View Post
Seasons One and Seven were similar only in their unevenness. Quality wise, Season Seven's best episodes ("The Pegasus," "Lower Decks," "Preemptive Strike," "All Good Things") are miles above the best episodes of Season One ("The Big Goodbye," "Conspiracy" and "11001001").

Conversely, while Season Seven had a number of forgettable episodes, none approached the banality of Season One dogs like "Code Of Honor," "Justice" and "Symbiosis."

Why?

Now for some heresy!

Let's be honest... a major reason for this is the comparative involvement of Gene Roddenberry, who was simultaneously Star Trek's greatest asset and greatest liability, as he had been since he first pitched TOS in the early 60's. Unfortunately by the 80s, the balance had swung well towards the liability side.

Season One was the product of GR's utopian dreams run amok... a bevy of heavy "message" stories that did little to entertain the audience in the process. This "GR Utopia Syndrome" would dog TNG until he began to step back from day-to-day production, allowing the fruits of labors from Michael Piller, Ira Behr (albeit briefly), Ron Moore, et al. to carry the show to greater heights than could be imagined based on what we saw during Season One.
I liked Symbiosis lol..
desfem79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2014, 01:03 PM   #29
desfem79
Lieutenant Commander

CrazyMatt wrote: View Post
CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
... not only would I agree it's better than season seven, I'd even argue it's better than season six.
Yikes!

THE RIDDLER: Riddle me this Caped Crusaders: what do these Season Six TNG episodes have in common?

"Relics"
"True Q"
"A Fistful of Datas"
"Chain of Command, Parts I and II"
"Ship in a Bottle"
"Face of the Enemy"
"Tapestry"
"Starship Mine"
"Frame of Mind"
"Rightful Heir"
"Timescape"

ROBIN: That's easy... they're all much better episodes than ANY episode from Season One!

BATMAN: That's right, old chum.
Yikes! Season 6 being better than 7 is a physical law!
desfem79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2014, 01:08 PM   #30
2takesfrakes
Commodore

robau wrote: View Post
The first season was dripping in idealism and I love it for that.
... Quoted for Truth!