RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,676
Members: 24,823
Currently online: 559
Newest member: voyagerman49

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old January 4 2014, 08:10 PM   #1
USS Triumphant
Rear Admiral

Laundry Day?

My daughter asked an interesting if somewhat trivial question at lunch today: Starting with TNG, when a crewperson takes off their clothes, I think the assumption is that they stick them in a dematerialization bin, and then replicate a new set for the next time they get dressed. (If I recall correctly, this assumption is backed up by at least one time when the replicators being on the fritz resulted in someone's uniform being the wrong size or similar.) And they probably do the same thing with their bedclothes and all sorts of other things. Well, alright, that seems logical, but what if a crewperson has a *unique* item such as a quilted blanket that has been in their family several generations, or a sweater knitted by an aunt, or whatever: how do they get them cleaned?

Do crew quarters have washer/dryers and we've just never seen them? Is there a secret laundry section of the ship that isn't on any of the schematics I've seen? Will hanging up the item in the shower and using the sonic function that I'm only presuming it has get items clean? Would they go to an open cargo hold and use the cargo replicators to replicate a washing machine and dryer to use, and then put THAT in the dematerializer each time? Would they use a scan of the item from when it was clean, and ask the transporter operators to beam away everything that wasn't in that scan? (Is this part of what O'Brien does with his time? )

And more than any of that, in the enlightened 24th century, would *not* allowing a personal effect to be scanned and made available for *anyone* to replicate be considered selfishness? And would people look at you odd (or maybe even consider you to have a mental illness of some sort) for insisting on hanging on to "the original" when so many things are digitally replicated and you could just replicate another one for yourself?
Old January 4 2014, 08:54 PM   #2
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

Re: Laundry Day?

In The Cost of Living, Worf complained to Troi about Alexander: "Before being allowed to play, he was to put his soiled clothing in the garment reprocessor." That does sound like de-materializing and re-materializing to me ("reprocessing").

However...

In In Theory, Keiko commented about putting O'Brien's socks in the "cleaning processor". It seemed to me at the time that was basically a space age washing machine. So perhaps you could put anything in there and it would come out clean.

It's one of those Great Mysteries...

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4 2014, 09:10 PM   #3
Elder Knight
Captain

The fact that uniforms were easily rebuilt makes you wonder why occasionally a crew member had the wrong rank stripes or the wrong division color.

That was 20th-century economics asserting itself.
Elder Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4 2014, 10:08 PM   #4
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

I always assumed that clothing was broken down into its components and reassembled, like a transporter would do.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 4 2014, 10:13 PM   #5
USS Triumphant
Rear Admiral

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
I always assumed that clothing was broken down into its components and reassembled, like a transporter would do.
I think that usually that would be the case, as well, and said so in my OP. But if so, it begs the other questions I asked, also in the OP.

(What I'm saying here is, how about fully read the OP? )
Old January 5 2014, 05:03 AM   #6
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Living quarters in the TOS Enterprise had dressers, the drawers had clothing.

Possibly instead of washers and dryers, placing something "dirty" into one of the dresser drawers would result in the dirty items being cleaned and nicely folded. Any foreign materials not apart of the original garment would be removed, similar to the transporters bio-filter. The process could even make minor repairs.

You keep the original item, no losing Nana's hand made quilt.

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2014, 05:33 AM   #7
robau
Lieutenant Commander

I've been wondering what prevents anything from being stored as a replicator file. Including antiques and such.
robau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2014, 05:54 AM   #8
Armored Saint
Fleet Captain

Vulcans must have an incredible laundry technology considering STIV.
Armored Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2014, 07:23 AM   #9
scotpens
Vice Admiral

T'Girl wrote: View Post
Possibly instead of washers and dryers, placing something "dirty" into one of the dresser drawers would result in the dirty items being cleaned and nicely folded. Any foreign materials not a part of the original garment would be removed, similar to the transporters bio-filter. The process could even make minor repairs.
The equipment would certainly be kept busy mending Capt. Kirk's torn shirts.
Old January 5 2014, 02:22 PM   #10
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain

I'm sure the replicator had a setting that would just remove dirt and restore wear and tear, thus saving a lot of energy.
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2014, 02:44 PM   #11
Shawnster
Fleet Captain

robau wrote: View Post
I've been wondering what prevents anything from being stored as a replicator file. Including antiques and such.
Would a replicated antique truly be antique?
Shawnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2014, 03:51 PM   #12
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

I would have guessed that there's something like the sonic shower where you just put it in a chamber, something high tech happens and all the dirt and grime is removed.

I think even in the 24th century, if you asked somebody "Hey, you know that cherished sentimental object of yours? Can I have an exact copy?" it'd be interpreted by anyone as a dick move. If it doesn't have sentimental value and it's just a trinket of yours, I think anybody would willingly make it available.

This also has me thinking, are toilets still toilets or is there some kind of sonic shower like procedure to remove waste automatically?
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2014, 04:22 PM   #13
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
are toilets still toilets or is there some kind of sonic shower like procedure to remove waste automatically?
We saw a toilet in ST V.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2014, 04:23 PM   #14
PicardSpeedo
Lieutenant Commander

I would have guessed that there's something like the sonic shower where you just put it in a chamber, something high tech happens and all the dirt and grime is removed.

I think even in the 24th century, if you asked somebody "Hey, you know that cherished sentimental object of yours? Can I have an exact copy?" it'd be interpreted by anyone as a dick move. If it doesn't have sentimental value and it's just a trinket of yours, I think anybody would willingly make it available.

This also has me thinking, are toilets still toilets or is there some kind of sonic shower like procedure to remove waste automatically?
There is only one toilet aboard the Enterprise-D, according to the engineering MSD. How it works has never been explained.
PicardSpeedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2014, 05:00 PM   #15
USS Triumphant
Rear Admiral

Shawnster wrote: View Post
Would a replicated antique truly be antique?
Alright, we know some of the crew still attach sentiment to inanimate objects, especially the ships - which may partially answer what I was thinking in this regard, but it seems to me that embedding one's memories and emotions in inanimate objects might be seen as a negative thing in a lot of cases by the 24th century. Especially the idea that a special reverence or value should be placed on an object just because it has managed to survive intact for a long time. What can be learned from an older object would be a different story, but if the replicator can make one just like it, the *matter and energy* that make up the replicated one would be just as old, would they not?

And there's no reason such a chamber couldn't be built into the dresser drawers as T'Girl was saying, I suppose. It's a little dissatisfying to say "and then, a miracle occurs" (or in your words "something high tech happens") when we have at least pseudo-explanations for a lot of other things, though.

PicardSpeedo wrote: View Post
There is only one toilet aboard the Enterprise-D, according to the engineering MSD. How it works has never been explained.
Something to do with those damned three seashells again, I expect.