Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

City on the Edge of Forever #3 Preview

TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old January 4 2014, 04:42 AM   #31
alpha_leonis
Captain

Re: Captain of the next Trek series

Sran wrote: View Post
^Why couldn't a show with an Andorian protagonist work?

--Sran
My first thought was that the "new" makeup, with animatronic antennae, might be a bit too work-intensive for more than a one-off appearance. But then I remembered Farscape, which had not one, but two regular full-on animatronic characters -- so a couple of wiggly headpieces would be easy by comparison.
alpha_leonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4 2014, 06:35 AM   #32
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

^Why couldn't a show with an Andorian protagonist work?

--Sran
Your central character needs to be someone the audience can immediately connect with. One as part of the main crew? Sure. One as the central character? I think the audience wouldn't be interested. All in my opinion.
Old January 4 2014, 08:01 AM   #33
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

Sran and I definitely seem interested
Old January 4 2014, 07:46 PM   #34
USS Triumphant
Rear Admiral

Bry_Sinclair wrote: View Post
If it was a niche market show distributed through Netflix or something and aimed almost entirely at dedicated fandom, then it might work. But as a general audiences sort of thing, an alien captain, and especially one from a species with four genders, isn't going to work. At least not, as I have mentioned before, as the main character. Shift the series focus away from the captain, almost like a "Lower Decks: The Series" or similar with a human Ensign or two as primary protagonists there (or some similar means of shifting the focus) and then *maybe*.
Old January 4 2014, 11:14 PM   #35
MacLeod
Admiral

Part of me says to go with an Alien CO for the next show, we've had five human CO's. So perhaps it's time for something different.

Perhaps I'm in the minority but I'm less concerened with thinngs like the gender of a character and more concerned that they are well written. We as an audiance/reader can identify with a particular character(s).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Identif...8literature%29

But I think perhaps the next show should scale back from having 7 or so leads to 5, CO, XO, CMO, CEO and Tactical/Security. That covers your base story telling.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2014, 08:03 AM   #36
Sran
Fleet Captain

BillJ wrote: View Post
Your central character needs to be someone the audience can immediately connect with. One as part of the main crew? Sure. One as the central character? I think the audience wouldn't be interested. All in my opinion.
If the series in question were following TOS (and there were no spin-offs), I would probably agree with you. But I think Trek fans have evolved to the point that at least a sizeable portion of us (if not the majority) would accept a non-human lead character or characters, based on the success of characters who weren't (entirely) human in previous series. Spock and Data are among the most popular characters of all time. In Spock's case, there was significant concern that TV audiences wouldn't accept his character, but that fear proved to much ado about nothing.

It may be worthwhile to include something in the character's backstory that makes him seem more human in spite of his appearance or physiology. An Andorian thaan who was raised on Earth by human parents (shades of Worf) after his parents died in shuttle accident would be someone audiences could empathize with.

USS Triumphant wrote: View Post
If it was a niche market show distributed through Netflix or something and aimed almost entirely at dedicated fandom, then it might work. But as a general audiences sort of thing, an alien captain, and especially one from a species with four genders, isn't going to work. At least not, as I have mentioned before, as the main character. Shift the series focus away from the captain, almost like a "Lower Decks: The Series" or similar with a human Ensign or two as primary protagonists there (or some similar means of shifting the focus) and then *maybe*.
I've been advocating for a miniseries that's aired online, and I think something like that could do well if marketed properly. What I don't know is whether the series would endure long enough to have a run of several seasons as its predecessors did. I do like the idea of a Starfleet Academy type of series that places cadets and junior officers in more central positions. A recurring role could be given to an established character whom audiences are already familiar with, someone who could serve as a mentor for the new characters and provide them with more credibility with audiences than they might otherwise have. In other words, people might be more willing to accept characters who also happen to be Admiral Janeway's cadets than they would someone else's.

MacLeod wrote: View Post
But I think perhaps the next show should scale back from having 7 or so leads to 5, CO, XO, CMO, CEO and Tactical/Security. That covers your base story telling.
I agree. One or two senior officer positions could be filled by recurring characters. A character could always be added to the regular cast if he or she is more popular than anticipated or functions better within series storylines. I'd rather that than characters for whom episodes are forced in order to give them something to do.

--Sran
Old January 5 2014, 03:35 PM   #37
MacLeod
Admiral

USS Triumphant wrote: View Post
Bry_Sinclair wrote: View Post

Well a show with an alien as it's lead can work. After all the lead character in Doctor Who, The Doctor is an alien, true he happens to look human, but you could have a human looking alien Captain in Star Trek.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
Old January 5 2014, 05:36 PM   #38
USS Triumphant
Rear Admiral

Well a show with an alien as it's lead can work. After all the lead character in Doctor Who, The Doctor is an alien, true he happens to look human, but you could have a human looking alien Captain in Star Trek.
True, but, two things about that.

1. The Doctor isn't really alien at all, is he? I mean, sure, he's a "Timelord", but he always looks human and he makes more Earth (mostly British) references than his companions do. His alien-ness is mainly his second heart - which seems to just allow him to feel MORE human feelings more strongly.
2. There is almost always a human companion for us to see the goings on through the eyes of. The focus character for those rare occasions when the Doctor really IS acting strangely.

I do, however, think that Sran's idea about using an alien that has some reason to also explore his or her "humanity" - Worf raised by humans, Data wanting to be human, so on - has merit and might work. Might. A lot would depend on the writing. But then, it always does.
Old January 5 2014, 05:52 PM   #39
MacLeod
Admiral

It all depends on what they did with it, but haven't as you already point out had characters exploring what it means to be human to various degrees. Would we not be retreating old ground.

You could for example set it on a ship operating a few years beyond the Federation border, who's Captain is killed and the XO has to step up. Some people can make excellent number twos but struggle when it comes to the next step up.
Old January 5 2014, 06:09 PM   #40
USS Triumphant
Rear Admiral

It all depends on what they did with it, but haven't as you already point out had characters exploring what it means to be human to various degrees. Would we not be retreating old ground.
I really feel like there was a lot more that could have been told with Data's story that ended up just kinda getting compressed or ignored altogether once they went to movies. And Worf really never tried to be human. He chose his Klingon heritage, mostly. What about that story of the Andorian zhen who has chosen a human path because of being raised by them, trying to live as human, but having the Andorian four gendered physiology and the responsibilities to the Andorian people that come with that? I might, just might, could see that working.

Another exception to my human only rule might be if they could bring back an alien character that they already made a general audience care about in a previous series as the lead. But I think that pretty much limits us to Captain Dax or maybe Captain Tuvok?
Old January 5 2014, 07:34 PM   #41
MacLeod
Admiral

Most shows start off with a group of characters that you know nothing about, the aim is to get the audiance to care about these characters as the show progresses.
Old January 5 2014, 08:36 PM   #42
Sran
Fleet Captain

You could for example set it on a ship operating a few years beyond the Federation border, who's Captain is killed and the XO has to step up. Some people can make excellent number twos but struggle when it comes to the next step up.
Similar to the Challenger novel series that takes place following TMP. This idea has promise, particularly if the executive officer is an outsider who's new to a crew that's served under the incumbent commanding officer for several years. The captain's death and the subsequent rise of the first officer to command is an excellent recipe for both external and internal conflict.

Most shows start off with a group of characters that you know nothing about, the aim is to get the audiance to care about these characters as the show progresses.
Agreed. Audiences can learn to care about new characters as they have previous characters and crews. As long as plotlines and conflicts are introduced properly and not forced, fans will accept a new crew.

--Sran
Old January 5 2014, 09:50 PM   #43
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

Agreed. Audiences can learn to care about new characters as they have previous characters and crews. As long as plotlines and conflicts are introduced properly and not forced, fans will accept a new crew.
Maybe. But this long-time fan is done with the spinoiffs of spinoffs of spinoffs. From here on out, I'm only interested in Kirk, Spock, and the Enterprise, the Star Trek source material. Just as I wouldn't be interested in a Sherlock Holmes series about any character other than Sherlock Holmes, or a Superman series not about Superman but some other superhero no one's ever heard of before.
Old January 5 2014, 11:20 PM   #44
Sran
Fleet Captain

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
Maybe. But this long-time fan is done with the spinoiffs of spinoffs of spinoffs. From here on out, I'm only interested in Kirk, Spock, and the Enterprise, the Star Trek source material. Just as I wouldn't be interested in a Sherlock Holmes series about any character other than Sherlock Holmes, or a Superman series not about Superman but some other superhero no one's ever heard of before.
I must be honest with you in stating that I don't understand why you've posted this response.

--Sran
Old January 5 2014, 11:30 PM   #45
urbandefault
Captain

I must be honest with you in stating that I don't understand why you've posted this response.

--Sran
I understand, and I agree. For what it's worth.
urbandefault is offline   Reply With Quote