Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old December 30 2013, 08:21 PM   #16
Borjis
Commodore

Re: TWOK Phasers: Visceral... and Rare?

Great thread! I've always loved the TWOK phaser effects for all the reasons already stated. I had no idea Peter Kuran did those too! I worked with Peter in 2009 for a brief period and we talked a lot about Star Wars and he'd mentioned his idea/work on creating the colored lighting effects on the models when they fired off shots to make it more real. Wish I'd known about this earlier.
Borjis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2013, 01:16 AM   #17
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Borjis wrote: View Post
Great thread! I've always loved the TWOK phaser effects for all the reasons already stated. I had no idea Peter Kuran did those too! I worked with Peter in 2009 for a brief period and we talked a lot about Star Wars and he'd mentioned his idea/work on creating the colored lighting effects on the models when they fired off shots to make it more real. Wish I'd known about this earlier.
I've interviewed him once or twice and he seems pretty cool. Based on some stuff in CINEFANTASTIQUE, I think the ILMers were a little irked he struck off on his own and made a success without having to relocate up north like they did.

I remember that he said he used to carry a couple of cells in his wallet that were animation effects from SW, and when he finally remembered about them and took them out, they were just GONE, disintegrated over time.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2013, 01:44 AM   #18
Brutal Strudel
Rear Admiral

Location: Here, frozen between time and place, not even the brightest lights escape...

Maurice wrote: View Post
The photon torpedoes after TMP are wimpy. There they were really amazing looking.
TMP's phototorp effect judiciously uses lens flare--the screen couldn't contain the brightness. TMP uses lens flare well; I got a kick out of Abrams' almost parodic overuse.
Old January 2 2014, 07:20 PM   #19
Borjis
Commodore

trevanian wrote: View Post
I've interviewed him once or twice and he seems pretty cool.
Ya, very mellow guy.

He gave me an autographed copy of his book on how to photograph atomic weapons when our work on the "Trinity & Beyond" Blu-Ray was completed.
Borjis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2014, 10:57 AM   #20
Robert Comsol
Commodore

^^ Wow. It's out on Blu-Ray? I was immensely impressed how that programm apparently secured all the original camera negatives and how the footage looked like it had just been shot yesterday in B & W High Definition.

@ King Daniel & BillJ

From an "in-universe" point of view the "megaphasers" of the Reliant behaved liked the omni-directional phaser "sprayholes" but the original model suggested a forward firing rigid energy cannon, IMHO.

Apparently inspired by the Stuka Ju 87 G "Cannon Bird".

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2014, 10:59 PM   #21
Shat Happens
Commander

Sorry for not reading all the posts above, but I have this to say about phasers:

1- there was a phaser shot in IV. Kirk soldered a dook knob with a phaser. Chekov broke his and it was funny. Poor stupid Chekov.

2- In a certain episode of TOS, Scotty uses a phaser as a blowtorch to cut a wall and unlock a door. in TOS-remastered, they put a visible beam there. That was the most unnecessary thing I ever saw in the world of film and remasters. I hate that.
Shat Happens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2014, 11:11 PM   #22
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Shat Happens wrote: View Post

2- In a certain episode of TOS, Scotty uses a phaser as a blowtorch to cut a wall and unlock a door. in TOS-remastered, they put a visible beam there. That was the most unnecessary thing I ever saw in the world of film and remasters. I hate that.
It really pissed me off that they did that!
Old January 5 2014, 11:35 PM   #23
Harvey
Admiral

Marc Cushman claims the effect was left out due to the rush to get the episode to air. I suspect that's just speculation on his part, though.

In any event, the Blu-Rays have both versions, and as far as changes go, adding a beam to Scotty's phaser doesn't bother me all that much. The phasers have beams in every other case (well, unless they obviously forgot to put them in; see McCoy just standing there with a phaser drawn in "Return of the Archons" while Spock and Kirk do all the shooting).

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2014, 12:03 AM   #24
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Harvey wrote: View Post
Marc Cushman claims the effect was left out due to the rush to get the episode to air. I suspect that's just speculation on his part, though.
I could believe that. What actually irks me more is the fact that Scotty shows Kirk the exact position where he needs to cut through the door mechanism of the Engineering Control Room.

But when he actually starts it's right below the room sign.

It's interesting that in "Way to Eden" (same procedure) they posted the camera in an angle which made it difficult or impossible to see whether the beam was invisible or simply not visible: http://tos.trekcore.com/hd/albums/3x...edenhd1194.jpg

Bob
Old January 7 2014, 02:24 PM   #25
Shat Happens
Commander

I Theoretically they could have used photon torpedoes against Reliant during their first encounter, but apparently the script demanded otherwise.

Bob
This is a VERY good point, a direct contradiction to TMP. But again, I'm damn happy they changed it up and gave us those violating, penetrating weapons for this film experience.
Apparently only Chekov knows how to fire the Enterprise's torpedoes.

Or he, being a moron, forgot the keys to that little door with the firing button in his pocket when he left for Reliant between I and II.
Old January 7 2014, 02:31 PM   #26
anh165
Commander

There are 2 valid reasons about not firing torpedoes in that situation.

1 - Not a good idea to fire them at close range when your shields are down!

2 - If the torpedoes hit the reliant and did not bring down her warp drive and ability to fire, then any retaliation from the Reliant would mean destruction of the Enterprise. With the Phasers, Kirk was able to take down the key systems that would not allow the Reliant to hit back.
Old January 7 2014, 03:15 PM   #27
Robert Comsol
Commodore

^^ Good points. It would almost seem that a photon torpedo is a good choice of weapon when you want to hit something and have a large area of damage opposite to a precision slicing phaser beam.

With the torpedo bay gunners disabled or killed Chekov aimed for Reliant's hard-to-miss weapons' pod but destroying the port warp nacelle required precision firing, hence phasers?

Bob
Old January 7 2014, 05:20 PM   #28
Shat Happens
Commander

^^ I seem to recall, the Enterprise shot Reliant's nacelle with both weapons.
Old January 7 2014, 07:03 PM   #29
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Shat Happens wrote: View Post
^^ I seem to recall, the Enterprise shot Reliant's nacelle with both weapons.
Yep.
Old January 8 2014, 01:34 AM   #30
trevanian
Rear Admiral

anh165 wrote: View Post
There are 2 valid reasons about not firing torpedoes in that situation.

1 - Not a good idea to fire them at close range when your shields are down!
Would be true in TOS series era, but in the movies, the torps sometimes seem little more powerful than a cannonball. The ones in SFS are fired at extremely close range and there's still no blowback on the party doing the shooting (and the shields are down throughout.)
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote