Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old January 6 2014, 06:49 AM   #1
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

Ohura in ST3

Was there a behind-the-scenes reason for Uhura to stay behind and effectively miss over half the movie?

I also find it hard to believe Uhura was easily able to leave Spacedock after participating in stealing the Enterprise. Hid on Sarek's ship, perhaps?

Last edited by jimbotron; January 6 2014 at 07:03 AM.
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2014, 06:56 AM   #2
Maurice
Vice Admiral

View Maurice's Twitter Profile
Re: Ohura in ST3

You do realize the name is Uhura, don't you?
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2014, 07:03 AM   #3
Basill
Captain

I believe the novelization had her beaming over to the Vulcan Embassy and requesting asylum. Certainly explains her presence on Vulcan with the Ambassador later.

Visit my Trek Art blog at: http://starstation.wordpress.com/
Basill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2014, 07:03 AM   #4
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

Well that was mighty stupid of me... I was even thinking about the "Uhuru" typo in ST6, yet I made one anyway.
Old January 6 2014, 07:17 AM   #5
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

jimbotron wrote: View Post
Was there a behind-the-scenes reason for Uhura to stay behind and effectively miss over half the movie?
Harve Bennett had promised each of the "Gang of Four" a scene in which to shine. Koenig had gotten his meaty stuff in ST II, but Harve was keen for the others to get their own good scenes. In a "Starlog" interview he tells of Nichelle's reaction when the courier delivered her ST III script. She got straight on the phone and complained to him that she didn't have enough to do.

Harve asked her, "What did you do, just count your lines?"

She said, "Yes."

He told her to go back and read the script. When she had, she rang him back and apologized. The scene was short, yes, but she was very much the star of the scene. Glamorous closeups, pithy dialogue, nice comedy, and absolutely crucial to the success of the crew's mission.

Nichelle apologized. (And I believe she has told the same story at conventions.)
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2014, 07:43 AM   #6
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

I did notice that the rest of the cast had their moments to shine in ST3, except for Chekov. Sulu had "don't call me Tiny", Scotty sabotaged Excelsior and "up your shaft", and Uhura had "Mr. Adventure."

But it still seems weird that Uhura's moment forced her to stay behind. We then have Chekov manning the communications instead, and wearing that awful pink shirt.
Old January 6 2014, 08:13 AM   #7
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

She ended up running to the Vulcan embassy seeking protection, according to the novelization. She risked immediate imprisonment.
Peach Wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2014, 09:19 AM   #8
Harvey
Admiral

It's a shame she didn't have more screentime in the movie, but it's by far the best scene she has in all six of the features (perhaps, honestly, ever).

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2014, 09:51 AM   #9
Pauln6
Rear Admiral

She had to stay behind because Starfleet security is actually a bit better than portrayed in the movie. It was her job to scramble communications for as long as she could and to mask what was going on and then get the hell out of there before Starfleet security beamed in. It's a shame they didn't extend the scene to make it clearer how crucial she was.

However, I wish they had used more of the crew this way more often. They didn't all need to be on board to contribute (which they sussed with Sulu in STVI). I would have liked other actors to have been given similar roles like Kyle in STII, and Rand in STVI. Chapel or Rand would have been great as Admiral Morrow's assistant in STIII and could have then played a role in investigating the conspiracy in STVI.

Other Worlds Role Playing Game
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ducts_id=97631
Pauln6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2014, 11:55 AM   #10
F. King Daniel
Admiral

Harvey wrote: View Post
It's a shame she didn't have more screentime in the movie, but it's by far the best scene she has in all six of the features (perhaps, honestly, ever).
Nichelle would have died (and probably killed, too) to have a scene like Zoe's Klingon negotiation in Into Darkness. It was serious, deadly and it was all on Uhura (well... until you-know-who came along)
Old January 6 2014, 12:40 PM   #11
2takesfrakes
Commodore

As I understand it, Harve Bennett and Leonard Nimoy wanted STAR TREK III to resemble THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN, which was a group of Men doing The Needful of the story, whose themes this movie was borrowing from. Sexist, perhaps, but that was their reasoning ...
2takesfrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2014, 12:50 PM   #12
Therin of Andor
Admiral

Pauln6 wrote: View Post
Chapel or Rand would have been great as Admiral Morrow's assistant in STIII and could have then played a role in investigating the conspiracy in STVI.
According to the DC Comics that filled in the gap between the comic adaptations of ST III and ST IV, Rand was one of Admiral Cartwright's assistants.

Grace Lee Whitney's cameo in ST III was a personal invitation from Director Nimoy. Majel Barrett asked not to be written into ST II because Gene R. had been demoted to Creative Consultant. Her role in ST IV was a personal invitation from Director Nimoy.
Old January 6 2014, 12:54 PM   #13
Therin of Andor
Admiral

Harvey wrote: View Post
it's by far the best scene she has in all six of the features (perhaps, honestly, ever).
Exactly. And Nichelle agreed.

2takesfrakes wrote: View Post
As I understand it, Harve Bennett and Leonard Nimoy wanted STAR TREK III to resemble THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN, which was a group of Men doing The Needful of the story, whose themes this movie was borrowing from. Sexist, perhaps, but that was their reasoning ...
Huh?

Perhaps you are thinking of 1980's "Battle Beyond the Stars", which had already done a science fiction version of "The Magnificent Seven"?

So who were the "seven"? Kirk, McCoy, Scott, Sulu, Chekov, Saavik, David.

By your reasoning Saavik should have been male.

Last edited by Therin of Andor; January 6 2014 at 01:35 PM. Reason: typo
Old January 6 2014, 12:55 PM   #14
2takesfrakes
Commodore

... At which point, Nimoy turned around and deleted all of Majel's scenes and left her with a one-liner, in the whole movie.

As to the 7 ... I am only the messenger, sir!
2takesfrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2014, 01:33 PM   #15
Therin of Andor
Admiral

2takesfrakes wrote: View Post
... At which point, Nimoy turned around and deleted all of Majel's scenes and left her with a one-liner, in the whole movie.
No, Majel's lines are all there! They can be heard behind the main dialogue. Her script was separate to the main script. I have one of her cue cards.

Star Trek IV cue card for Majel Barrett by Therin of Andor, on Flickr

Bought in a charity auction at a New Zealand convention, Converge (1988), thanks to auctioneer David Gerrold. The cue card, supposedly written by hand by the director, Leonard Nimoy, features dialogue for the character of Commander Christine Chapel. In 1996, I was able to surprise Majel Barrett with it at a Conquest convention in Brisbane, Australia, and asked her to autograph her own cue card.

(She did have an earlier scene, showing Sarek into the Council Room, but that was cut for time.)

As to the 7 ... I am only the messenger, sir
Perhaps your sources got it wrong. Uhura was not given that scene for sexist reasons. You can bet that if it were true, Nichelle would still be complaining.