RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 140,173
Posts: 5,435,411
Members: 24,942
Currently online: 500
Newest member: ks55

TrekToday headlines

Two Official Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Oct 22

Pine In New Skit
By: T'Bonz on Oct 21

Stewart In Holiday Film
By: T'Bonz on Oct 21

The Red Shirt Diaries #8
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science and Technology

Science and Technology "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old January 9 2014, 07:31 PM   #1
TowerPower
Commander
 
TowerPower's Avatar
 
Rooting an android tablet

Not sure if this is the appropriate thread for this topic, so a mod can move if need be.

I bought (and returned) a Klu LT1041-B android tablet from hhgregg. Link here:

http://www.hhgregg.com/klu-by-curtis...et/item/LT1041

I am new to Android and ran into a few problems.
1) The unit has version 4.1 operating system. Can this be upgraded?
2) Also along with 4.1, it apparently does not allow app installation to the SD card.

Thus, Google Play store cannot be loaded, and I am unsure if the OS can be upgraded to a version that allows app install to the SD card. The unit only has 4GB memory, so I understand that loads of apps cannot be installed unless the SD card can be used for install. Also being able to upgrade to a newer Android OS is desirable. The company website is not helpful, and my posts over at AndroidForums.com are unanswered.

I would really appreciate it if anyone has experience in getting this model rooted, or has advice on another unit that is good, and NOT expensive. The Klu has HDMI, miniUSB, USB, and SD access, which is great, but I can't see it being very useful at this point. I don't want to spend several hundred dollars on an expensive unit like the Samsung Galaxy as I don't have the need for a top end unit. Mainly just want to install apps, watch video, etc.

Can anyone recommend a cheap unit that can use Google Play, and has the connections above with at least 8GB memory, and expandable, and upgradable?

Thanks.
TowerPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2014, 07:44 PM   #2
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul
 
Location: Fairfax, VA
Re: Rooting an android tablet

You usually don't install to the sdcard, but apps may use the sdcard to store their data.
__________________
Lead Organizer for EVN: Firefly.
"So apparently the really smart zombies have automatic weapons!"
-Torg, Sluggy Freelance
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2014, 08:42 PM   #3
TowerPower
Commander
 
TowerPower's Avatar
 
Re: Rooting an android tablet

The latest version of Android, Kit Kat, allows install to the SD card. That can be important if you have only 4GB flash primary memory.
TowerPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2014, 09:57 PM   #4
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul
 
Location: Fairfax, VA
Re: Rooting an android tablet

TowerPower wrote: View Post
The latest version of Android, Kit Kat, allows install to the SD card. That can be important if you have only 4GB flash primary memory.
I can see how it would be useful.
__________________
Lead Organizer for EVN: Firefly.
"So apparently the really smart zombies have automatic weapons!"
-Torg, Sluggy Freelance
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2014, 10:47 PM   #5
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral
 
Owain Taggart's Avatar
 
Location: Northern Ontario, Canada
Re: Rooting an android tablet

I originally had bought a Coby Kyros for many of the same reasons and faced the same problems. There were just too many limitations, and after lots of research on my part, found out that my version of the tablet couldn't be rooted. It was a frustrating experience as everything was walled off, with only a grey-market download app with apps that I didn't want to trust, and so I never ended up doing anything with it. Last Christmas, I got a Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0+, which was a much better experience. In my opinion, you really get what you pay for when you buy technology like this, especially if a product is not officially supported by the OS manufacturer. That's the problem I ran into.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2014, 01:11 AM   #6
sojourner
Admiral
 
sojourner's Avatar
 
Location: I'm at WKRP
Re: Rooting an android tablet

The forum for all your Android rooting needs:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/index.php?tab=all
__________________
Baby, you and me were never meant to be, just maybe think of me once in a while...
sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2014, 09:01 AM   #7
GalaxyX
Rear Admiral
 
GalaxyX's Avatar
 
Location: Canada
Re: Rooting an android tablet

sojourner wrote: View Post
The forum for all your Android rooting needs:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/index.php?tab=all
If you have a popular phone it's easier to root than others. I have a Sony Xperia Z Ultra, and I haven't found a procedure I'm confident enough to try without risking bricking my phone.

Funny enough I wanted to root so I could move shit over to the SD card. If Sony releases Kit Kat soon, my need to root won't be as urgent. Not that it's really urgent now to begin with.
__________________
Top Gear America: Jay Leno, Adam Carolla, Tim Allen. DONE!
GalaxyX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2014, 03:48 AM   #8
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral
 
Ar-Pharazon's Avatar
 
Re: Rooting an android tablet

^ That's probably true. I found tons of help on rooting the Galaxy S4, which I did without any trouble.

I think you can flash to a different OS on any device, but like rooting, if you mess it up you have a brick.
__________________
Rimmer, on what period of history to live in-
“Well, It’d be the 19th century for me, one of Napoleon’s marshals.
The chance to march across Europe with the greatest general of all time and kill Belgians” - (White Hole).
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2014, 06:49 AM   #9
Venardhi
Vice Admiral
 
Venardhi's Avatar
 
Location: Constant transit
Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi
Re: Rooting an android tablet

TowerPower wrote: View Post
Not sure if this is the appropriate thread for this topic, so a mod can move if need be.

I bought (and returned) a Klu LT1041-B android tablet from hhgregg. Link here:

http://www.hhgregg.com/klu-by-curtis...et/item/LT1041

I am new to Android and ran into a few problems.
1) The unit has version 4.1 operating system. Can this be upgraded?
2) Also along with 4.1, it apparently does not allow app installation to the SD card.

Thus, Google Play store cannot be loaded, and I am unsure if the OS can be upgraded to a version that allows app install to the SD card. The unit only has 4GB memory, so I understand that loads of apps cannot be installed unless the SD card can be used for install. Also being able to upgrade to a newer Android OS is desirable. The company website is not helpful, and my posts over at AndroidForums.com are unanswered.

I would really appreciate it if anyone has experience in getting this model rooted, or has advice on another unit that is good, and NOT expensive. The Klu has HDMI, miniUSB, USB, and SD access, which is great, but I can't see it being very useful at this point. I don't want to spend several hundred dollars on an expensive unit like the Samsung Galaxy as I don't have the need for a top end unit. Mainly just want to install apps, watch video, etc.

Can anyone recommend a cheap unit that can use Google Play, and has the connections above with at least 8GB memory, and expandable, and upgradable?

Thanks.
What is your budget exactly? There is a big difference between the selection at $99 and the selection at $199 or 299.
__________________
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2014, 05:15 PM   #10
TowerPower
Commander
 
TowerPower's Avatar
 
Re: Rooting an android tablet

Trying a Lenovo S6000 now. Looks nice but can't figure out how to take a screenshot. None of the button combinations seem to work. Guess that function is not in the tablet design. Trying to find an app that takes screenshots on an unrooted device. Any ideas?

EDIT: figured it out thanks to the Lenovo forum.
The solution is to press the power button and then immediately press the volume down button. Can't press the volume button first or screenshot will not work. Apparently this is a standard feature of Android 4.2. Thought someone else might need to know.

Last edited by TowerPower; January 14 2014 at 07:40 PM.
TowerPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
klu, root, tablet

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:45 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.