Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

View Poll Results: Grade "The Time Of The Doctor"
Geronimo! 64 30.48%
Fish Fingers and Custard 84 40.00%
Average 36 17.14%
Not Good 21 10.00%
Beans are evil. Bad bad beans! | 5 2.38%
Voters: 210. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 26 2013, 02:24 AM   #76
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Re: The Time Of The Doctor (Grading/Discussion)(SPOILERS!)

Ethros wrote: View Post
And such a nice surprise to see Karen Gillan. Was that known spoiler wise? Glad I never saw anything about it if so.

Karen has been dropping hints about it for a while now

https://twitter.com/KarenGillan2/sta...35243321720835

So yeah that wig used to be her real hair.
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26 2013, 02:26 AM   #77
SeerSGB
Admiral

View SeerSGB's Twitter Profile

inflatabledalek wrote: View Post
Rapid-fire first impressions:

Hmm, yeah, not sure what to make of that. As well as shameless cribbing from the Parting of the Ways (sending the companion back to her estate so she's safe... and the fact Clara now lives on a Rose Tyler style estate sort of sums up how random her character really is) and The End of Time (ominous narration opening) there was the clumsy explaining of plot points from old episodes I think pretty much everyone had stopped caring about (the lack of explanation for the Tardis exploding was annoying three years ago, covering it in a exposition speech now managed to be equally annoying).

And considering he seemed to remember The Day of the Doctor well enough, why was the Doctor expecting not to regenerate when there were 13 (well, 14 if you count the continuity cock up that resulted in two different Sylvester McCoy's being there) Doctor's saving Gallifrey? Why were the Time Lords being dickish about shooting him a new regeneration cycle when they already knew about Capaldi from that story as well? How did how the Daleks get blown up at the end not kill everyone in the town as well? If the Time Lords have the ability to do that to Daleks in the first place how did they ever come so close to loosing the Time War (just find a Time Lord on his last life, zap him a new cycle and the change will blow up entire space fleets...).

Why erase the Daleks' knowledge of the Doctor when they got it back in their very next "Present day" appearance?

Couldn't we have had at least one new monster amongst the usual ones they parade out for every monster mash sequence in the Smith era? Hell, even dusting down the Slitheen costumes would have added some variety to the Daleks/Cybermen/Sontarans monotony.

Old age make up that not only wound up making the Doctor look more like a Dick Tracy villain than aged, but seemed to result in a worse and worse performance from Smith the more and more heavy it got.

Good points.... Errr, the priest woman not being revealed to be some form of River Song despite the Tardis flying skills and and flirting seeming to signpost it.

No Tellytubby Daleks (and that has to be the final nail in their coffin surely if they're not even using the props to pad out Dalek crowd scenes now?).

The rapid-fire actual regeneration.

This was basically the clusterfuck I was expecting Day of the Doctor to be, and any reassurance from the special that the Moff wasn't burnt out and the show needed a new chief writer has been completely blown away. Still, he got it back once, so here's at least hoping Capaldi gets off to a better start.
Well it's 13 lives, 12 regenerations. So "All 13" still works from the POV that the War Council was thinking it was every life of the Doctor; original body and 12 regenerations. And 13/1a* showing up might have been something the original 12 didn't plan on.

* 13th Doctor, 1st Doctor of his second regeneration cycle.
SeerSGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26 2013, 02:49 AM   #78
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga

i thought it was fun. like most of you, i agree that it was a rushed mess. lots of throwaway dialogue. there were good moments. especially right before the regeneration.
Saga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26 2013, 02:56 AM   #79
Captain_Amasov
Captain

My main complaint about this, and the last main regeneration story, is the following: The End of Time was too long for the story it was telling; The Time of the Doctor was too short for the story it was telling.

The Time of the Doctor needed more breathing room, so to speak, it didn't need to be a two parter but making it at least 75 minutes might have helped.
Captain_Amasov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26 2013, 03:01 AM   #80
SeerSGB
Admiral

View SeerSGB's Twitter Profile

Time Of The Doctor would have worked better had we been set up for it through the season. The Papal Mainframe needed some episodes to set them up. And the mystery singal needed to have been brought in earlier in the year--maybe even as the event that led to the discovery of Trenzalore by the the Great Intelligence.

Still, I liked it. Liked it better than End of Time.

Last edited by SeerSGB; December 26 2013 at 03:15 AM. Reason: had = needed some
SeerSGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26 2013, 03:09 AM   #81
P0sitr0nic
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to P0sitr0nic

SeerSGB wrote: View Post
Time Of The Doctor would have worked better had we been set up for it through the season. The Papal Mainframe had episodes to set them up. And the mystery singal needed to have been brought in earlier in the year--maybe even as the event that led to the discovery of Trenzalore by the the Great Intelligence.

Still, I liked it. Liked it better than End of Time.
I believe as has been stated, they thought they had one more year with Matt, then had to cram it all in to this one. We just saw a whole seasons worth of plot development ground up and served to us in one episode.
Old December 26 2013, 03:24 AM   #82
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

Actually, what Moffat said was that the plan for a long time had been three series, the fiftieth, then a Christmas regeneration. (Much as the plan for Tennant for a long time was three series, then some specials culminating in a regeneration.) He tried to talk Smith into doing more, as he'd tried to talk Tennant into doing more, but he wasn't ever expecting another series of Smith, and any problems "The Time of the Doctor" may have don't come from some last-minute change of problems.
Old December 26 2013, 03:59 AM   #83
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

The Third Doctor took the seal of Rassilon off the Master.

That means that 4 and 5 had it in their pocket, while they were in the Death Zone too.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 26 2013, 04:10 AM   #84
Haggis and tatties
Rear Admiral

Great stuff all round, can never have enough Dr Who, bye bye Matt, hello Peter, now we just got to hope we don't need to wait too long to see him in action.

Haggis and tatties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26 2013, 04:28 AM   #85
captain crow
Fleet Captain

Location: Onboard a sliver dog bone shaped satellite in Earth orbit

I thought it was a bit crap. Too much stuff crammed into a short amount of time so it comes off rather disjointed. Also kind of wished they hadn't reused the crashing the TARDIS during or just after regenerating gag for a third time.

And out of curiosity, how was Gallifrey able to do anything since it's suppose to be in suspended animation in a pocket universe?
Old December 26 2013, 04:30 AM   #86
USS Triumphant
Rear Admiral

I enjoyed it, but I was kind of half-way expecting the Doctor to actually die, the Capaldi thing to have been a feint, and for them to end with "Thank You For 50 Wonderful Years."

I can't honestly say yet whether I'm pleased or disappointed that that didn't happen. I've loved Doctor Who starting with the beginning of Eccleston's run, but honestly, it's starting to feel a little played out to me.
Old December 26 2013, 04:33 AM   #87
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga

captain crow wrote: View Post
And out of curiosity, how was Gallifrey able to do anything since it's suppose to be in suspended animation in a pocket universe?
oh, you know. wibbly wobbly, timey wimey...
Saga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26 2013, 04:36 AM   #88
Captain_Amasov
Captain

captain crow wrote: View Post
I thought it was a bit crap. Too much stuff crammed into a short amount of time so it comes off rather disjointed. Also kind of wished they hadn't reused the crashing the TARDIS during or just after regenerating gag for a third time.

The destruction of the TARDIS caused by Kovarians separatists at the end of series 5 cracked the universe, and even after the Doctor instigated the second Big Bang, these time scars have obviously broken down the barrier between our universe and the pocket one.

With time from our universe now spilling through, it would seem that Gallifrey has now been reanimated, like cup-a-soup with added hot water, where ever it is on the other side.
Captain_Amasov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26 2013, 04:38 AM   #89
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

I thought it was great. Matt Smith gave an excellent performance and it was a fitting swan song for him. I wish they could have fleshed out The Doctor's relationship with the town even more but I think they made it work. I wonder if the new Doctor had his memory reset too. Terrific action sequences too. I liked Handles, wish he would have stayed around.

As long as The Doctor keeps pumping out money, he is NEVER going to die.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26 2013, 04:39 AM   #90
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

USS Triumphant wrote: View Post
I enjoyed it, but I was kind of half-way expecting the Doctor to actually die, the Capaldi thing to have been a feint, and for them to end with "Thank You For 50 Wonderful Years."
Everything ends, Clara.

Except franchises.