RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,890
Posts: 5,222,746
Members: 24,234
Currently online: 519
Newest member: evtclub

TrekToday headlines

De Lancie Joins Mind Puppets
By: T'Bonz on Apr 24

Cumberbatch One Of Time Magazine’s Most Influential
By: T'Bonz on Apr 24

Trek Actor Smithsonian Magazine Cover First
By: T'Bonz on Apr 24

Takei To Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Apr 23

Yelchin In New Comedy
By: T'Bonz on Apr 23

U.S. Rights For Pegg Comedy Secured
By: T'Bonz on Apr 23

Shatner: Aging and Work
By: T'Bonz on Apr 23

Kurtzman And Orci Go Solo
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Star Trek #32 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Voyager Bridge Via The Oculus Rift
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old January 1 2014, 05:32 AM   #61
Sephiroth
Vice Admiral
 
Sephiroth's Avatar
 
Location: Sephiroth
Re: What Didja Get For Christmas?

Just finished the first liter, Really like the kool-aid tropical punch, second liter tried the cola. It tastes like store brand cola, a little watered down, but I think the sample packs have a little less syrup in them than they should. I figure all the cola flavors are gonna taste like generics. The literature with the soda stream had about a hundred different fruit flavors, I'm gonna experiment with mixing and matching.
__________________
Green chile cheeseburgers, Red and Green chile burritos, Green and Red chile pizza with beef and chicken, Green chile chicken kung pao, Green chile wine, Green and Red chile popsicles...You can get Red and Green on everything here.
Sephiroth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2014, 12:26 PM   #62
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral
 
auntiehill's Avatar
 
Location: hillsville
Re: What Didja Get For Christmas?

^Thanks! I've toyed with getting one for awhile, but they're a bit too pricey for me to buy on a whim.
auntiehill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2014, 09:26 PM   #63
trekkiedane
Admiral
 
trekkiedane's Avatar
 
Location: I'll let you know when I get there.
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to trekkiedane
Re: What Didja Get For Christmas?

^Back when I was a kid and lived with my parents (more than thirty years ago), mum and I bought a Soda Stream together -they have always been a bit on the pricey side

I found (back then) that using non-Soda Stream syrups was the way to make good sodas
__________________
I am trekkiedane and I wholeheartedly agree with this post.
trekkiedane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2014, 12:12 AM   #64
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral
 
auntiehill's Avatar
 
Location: hillsville
Re: What Didja Get For Christmas?

At last night's party, I picked up some gifts from friends I haven't seen in awhile--I got some new pjs and a book, along with some lovely, blue ceramic bake-ware. Score!
auntiehill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2014, 08:29 AM   #65
Venardhi
Vice Admiral
 
Venardhi's Avatar
 
Location: Constant transit
Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi
Re: What Didja Get For Christmas?

Julemand wrote: View Post
^Back when I was a kid and lived with my parents (more than thirty years ago), mum and I bought a Soda Stream together -they have always been a bit on the pricey side

I found (back then) that using non-Soda Stream syrups was the way to make good sodas
I really wanted one and was on the lookout for a good deal the last few months, but doing the math I found that even just using it to make seltzer water it would probably never pay itself off due to the insane cost of the refills. Having a proprietary non-refillable cartridge is bullshit.
__________________
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2014, 10:42 AM   #66
J. Allen
Squeaky Clean
 
J. Allen's Avatar
 
Location: United States
Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen
Re: What Didja Get For Christmas?

Soda streams sound nice. I'd try to carbonate everything, though. I wonder what carbonated chocolate milk tastes like?
__________________
:: :: ::
Visit Brony Kingdom, where all of your wildest dreams will come true.
:: :: ::

Rainbow Dash Buys A Ford Pinto, A Short Story by LotusTeaDragon
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2014, 02:44 PM   #67
Venardhi
Vice Admiral
 
Venardhi's Avatar
 
Location: Constant transit
Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi
Re: What Didja Get For Christmas?

I suspect that milk is not recommended for use in such a thing. It is why you generally mix the syrup in after you add the carbonation. Keeps it from just turning into a foamy mess.
__________________
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2014, 06:10 PM   #68
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral
 
cooleddie74's Avatar
 
Location: The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile
Re: What Didja Get For Christmas?

I've never owned nor even used one of those machines but I've heard some good things about them. Can't say that I'd ever buy one but I do wonder what homemade soda would taste like.
__________________
Human instinct is pretty strong. You can't expect us to change overnight.

-Captain Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2014, 06:13 PM   #69
trekkiedane
Admiral
 
trekkiedane's Avatar
 
Location: I'll let you know when I get there.
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to trekkiedane
Re: What Didja Get For Christmas?

SantaEddie74 wrote: View Post
/.../ I do wonder what homemade soda would taste like.
That's the point: homemade soda'll taste like anything you'd like it to taste like
__________________
I am trekkiedane and I wholeheartedly agree with this post.
trekkiedane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2014, 06:18 PM   #70
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral
 
cooleddie74's Avatar
 
Location: The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile
Re: What Didja Get For Christmas?



I meant would it be just as good as or superior to store-bought brands. Some say it's not but that could just mean that those persons didn't use the mixtures and combinations necessary. I'm sure I could come up with some wild flavors, but would they be comparable to what I could buy in a supermarket?

Interesting technology.
__________________
Human instinct is pretty strong. You can't expect us to change overnight.

-Captain Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2014, 06:47 PM   #71
trekkiedane
Admiral
 
trekkiedane's Avatar
 
Location: I'll let you know when I get there.
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to trekkiedane
Re: What Didja Get For Christmas?

SantaEddie74 wrote: View Post


I meant would it be just as good as or superior to store-bought brands. Some say it's not but that could just mean that those persons didn't use the mixtures and combinations necessary. I'm sure I could come up with some wild flavors, but would they be comparable to what I could buy in a supermarket?

Interesting technology.
I find it difficult to find blackcurrant soda in the stores... and the raspberry sodas you can find around here are either very pricey or have a distinctive 'chemical' tang to them. - But it's simple to make or find quite good syrups to pour into any kind of "bubbly water"
__________________
I am trekkiedane and I wholeheartedly agree with this post.
trekkiedane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2014, 07:00 PM   #72
Sephiroth
Vice Admiral
 
Sephiroth's Avatar
 
Location: Sephiroth
Re: What Didja Get For Christmas?

SantaEddie74 wrote: View Post


I meant would it be just as good as or superior to store-bought brands. Some say it's not but that could just mean that those persons didn't use the mixtures and combinations necessary. I'm sure I could come up with some wild flavors, but would they be comparable to what I could buy in a supermarket?

Interesting technology.
Their colas taste like generic store brands, they do have a few name brands, which taste great (Fizzy ocean spray cranberry is the tits). Haven't tried their fruit flavored drinks yet, but I'm gonna look into making my own syrups.
__________________
Green chile cheeseburgers, Red and Green chile burritos, Green and Red chile pizza with beef and chicken, Green chile chicken kung pao, Green chile wine, Green and Red chile popsicles...You can get Red and Green on everything here.
Sephiroth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2014, 09:27 PM   #73
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral
 
cooleddie74's Avatar
 
Location: The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile
Re: What Didja Get For Christmas?

Guess I'm going to have to get my hands on one of these and experiment with it. Pure sugar sodas are generally a thing of the past here in the States (except for the "Throwback" Pepsis, Dr. Peppers and Mountain Dews, but those are a tiny minority of the market at the moment) and I prefer the way colas and other sodas tasted when I was a kid and teenager. Cleaner, crisper and not as heavy.
__________________
Human instinct is pretty strong. You can't expect us to change overnight.

-Captain Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2014, 05:04 AM   #74
Sephiroth
Vice Admiral
 
Sephiroth's Avatar
 
Location: Sephiroth
Re: What Didja Get For Christmas?

Venardhi wrote: View Post
Julemand wrote: View Post
^Back when I was a kid and lived with my parents (more than thirty years ago), mum and I bought a Soda Stream together -they have always been a bit on the pricey side

I found (back then) that using non-Soda Stream syrups was the way to make good sodas
I really wanted one and was on the lookout for a good deal the last few months, but doing the math I found that even just using it to make seltzer water it would probably never pay itself off due to the insane cost of the refills. Having a proprietary non-refillable cartridge is bullshit.
you can refill them at certain stores
__________________
Green chile cheeseburgers, Red and Green chile burritos, Green and Red chile pizza with beef and chicken, Green chile chicken kung pao, Green chile wine, Green and Red chile popsicles...You can get Red and Green on everything here.
Sephiroth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2014, 05:57 AM   #75
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral
 
auntiehill's Avatar
 
Location: hillsville
Re: What Didja Get For Christmas?

cooleddie74 wrote: View Post
Guess I'm going to have to get my hands on one of these and experiment with it. Pure sugar sodas are generally a thing of the past here in the States (except for the "Throwback" Pepsis, Dr. Peppers and Mountain Dews, but those are a tiny minority of the market at the moment) and I prefer the way colas and other sodas tasted when I was a kid and teenager. Cleaner, crisper and not as heavy.
You should try to get the Mexican Coke; they still use the pure cane sugar, and not the corn syrup. It's really nice. All our local grocery stores carry it, but it's on the "International" food aisles.
auntiehill is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
christmas, gifts

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:39 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.