New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide

Cumberbatch As Turing

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old December 25 2013, 08:25 PM   #16
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

Re: What Didja Get For Christmas?

Rudolph wrote: View Post
Peach Wookiee wrote: View Post
Venardhi wrote: View Post
It depends on what you already have for the many things it can do, and what kind of alternative you had in mind. I should think it a pretty swell gift myself, and I'm one of the more practical and hard-to-gift-for people I know.
I think it's quite nice, but I'm fine as long as I have a phone with texting. I feel like I'd rather have the phone I've got or a much simpler phone.

And also, there are some non-tech things I rather need at the moment. It'd be a nice gift to get otherwise; I just need other things.
I felt largely the same way when I got my first Droid 18 months ago. I did not think that i would use many of it's features, but it has turned out to be handy for so many things. I use it for movie times, to check reviews for interesting restaurants, for navigation, etc. Most recently, I used it for price checking when I ought a new DVD recorder, and then to get Best Buy to pricematch Walmart (Saved me $60)
Does it matter that I have a Kindle Fire HD?
Peach Wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25 2013, 08:33 PM   #17
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Rudolph wrote: View Post
I felt largely the same way when I got my first Droid 18 months ago. I did not think that i would use many of it's features, but it has turned out to be handy for so many things.
So that WAS the droid you were looking for?

(waves hand)
Old December 25 2013, 08:52 PM   #18
Davros
Fleet Admiral

Call Of Duty Ghosts
Old December 25 2013, 11:42 PM   #19
macloudt
Shut up, I'm counting

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to macloudt

I won't list everything, but my husband and I are watching the Tinker, Tailor Soldier Spy DVD I gave him. As it happens we both got each other a Smiley's People DVD, so one of them will be gifted to his brother, whose birthday is in January. This isn't the first time we've purchased the same DVD for each other, and we've done it with books, too. Our sons are playing with the Lego train set we gave our younger son. They're 13 and 15, but you're never too old for Lego!
Old December 26 2013, 01:34 AM   #20
nureintier
Commander

Mostly got money and/or gift cards from everybody. My mom also got me a bunch of socks, some candy, toothpaste, a wall clock, 16gig flash drive, bacon flavor lip balm, a knit scarf with skulls on it, and other random stuff. Probably doesn't count, but I bought myself a bunch of Star Trek figures and a TOS 2014 calendar. ^_^
nureintier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26 2013, 01:40 AM   #21
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

Let's see if I can remember everything, since it's been kind of spread out over the last month or so. I apparently have a lot of wonderful people in my life who want to spoil me.

Several indie games on Steam; a Game of Thrones world map; a Game of Thrones throw pillow (Starks); an assortment of candied popcorn and other candies; this thing that's a griddle, grill, panini press, and waffle maker all in one; soap in the form of a Companion Cube (yes, this really exists); money in various forms; awesome books from a Secret Santa on another forum; a 5-way sound mixer also from that Secret Santa; a book about Scotland from the TrekBBS Secret Santa (thanks, Zion Ravescene!); a Stylophone also from the TBBS Secret Santa; a little Minecraft world made of LEGO that came with a hand-made creeper card, courtesy of someone here who can speak up if they so desire.

This isn't even everything since I'm having Christmas with my mother's family in a couple days. I have also probably forgotten some stuff because I ended up with so much this year.

I'm thinking I will pool together the cash (or cash-like stuff, and no, there were no bitcoins) to buy a new video card and PSU for my desktop so I can play games in their full glory.

I am lucky to be surrounded by such great people.
My blog
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26 2013, 01:47 AM   #22
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

I have given people:

MLP figures
MLP comics
Star Wars Figures
Star Wars Omnibus comics
Clone Wars dvd's
TinTin books
Bottle of Miss Dior Cherie
Board game, City of Horror
Anti-war.com t-shirt
Box of maltesers
Peach butter from my peach butter making blitz
Tin of Girlie Grey tea

Bought all the objects in November.

Have yet to receive anything, expecting a gift today via Kris Kringle. Did buy myself Fluttershy in vinyl though.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26 2013, 01:47 AM   #23
Kestra
Vice Admiral

Solstice wrote: View Post
a little Minecraft world made of LEGO that came with a hand-made creeper card, courtesy of someone here who can speak up if they so desire.
I don't think it would be that difficult for people to guess.
Kestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26 2013, 02:08 AM   #24
nureintier
Commander

since I am bored now I will list what I got people, too:

-my mom: a 9.7" tablet and a case for it, See's buttercreams (1 lb), other candy, Joann fabric's gift card
-my brother: new headphones, money, candy
-my dogs: whole bunch of Kong wubba toys, nylabone dinosaur chew toys, other snacks. I ordered them Star Trek collars but they are still backordered, so no idea when they will arrive.
-cousins: chocolates, chocolate covered pretzels
-grandparents: same as cousins, also baked them a cheesecake
and random other small things for people and their pets.

Then, when I went to my cousin's, they bought my mom the same box of chocolates I got her. So I am wondering if maybe she'll just give some back to me if I ask nicely, she has 2 damn pounds of buttercreams... I'm not big on chocolate though. If she offered to give me some, though, I'd take them...
nureintier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26 2013, 07:48 AM   #25
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

Decided to keep the iPhone.
Peach Wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26 2013, 08:24 AM   #26
Gryffindorian
Vice Admiral

This pretty much sums it all up.

Last edited by Gryffindorian; December 26 2013 at 08:38 AM.
Gryffindorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26 2013, 11:30 AM   #27
jazamul
Vice Admiral

Gave:

to my secret santa - blown up photos of her new baby in some frames.
To the nieces/nephes: hats and an itunes gift card.

Got:
One of those coffee pod systems.
A tea cup/saucer display thing from mom.
A day out with my sister-in-law, who was my secret santa, her treat.

I'm pretty pleased with all my gifts. Wanted one of the pod systems, and I haven't spent time with my SIL in months so it'll be nice to have a girls day out.
Old December 26 2013, 04:39 PM   #28
mari
Captain

I got mainly maternity clothes from my parents - which is fair, as I gave Mom a sweater I crocheted for her, and Dad a pair of work pants he requested. Also the new Paul McCartney and William Shatner albums. Heheh. Mom and sister also got a bunch of clothes for the baby, because they love buying baby stuff and don't mind that he won't be here for another 4 months. Sister got me and my husband a gift card for a local restaurant/pub that we love, and we got her a minion t-shirt and a screaming flying monkey toy (I swear she's pushing 30 but this is what she likes). Got my husband a pair of weightlifting gloves, exactly like the previous pair but without the torn seams. He got me a gift card for Lion Brand Yarn, and a tribble! The cat likes it on "purr" but not on "screaming at a Klingon".

At the in-laws, we did couple gifts with a $25 limit. They got us Cards Against Humanity. OH YES. We gave them a sample basket of the jams that my best friend and I make - a cabernet wine jelly, a hot pepper, a dark chocolate raspberry, and a banana-pineapple-coconut for the nephew. Nephew also received from us some loom bands (he is remarkably crafty, six months ago he was doing origami) and a make-your-own comic book kit (when you're done, you send it away and it returns in real comic book form, glossy pages and all).

From my grandparents, who have about 95 people to buy for (children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren), we got $20 cash, $25 Home Depot gift card, and the 2014 Old Farmer's Almanac.

Saturday we go to the other sister's house. We're giving her and BIL the same thing as last year - a gift certificate for a grown-up dinner out without the kids (my parents babysit). Believe me, this is a thing all four of us need. Her boys are getting a hobby horse that I crocheted (the 3 year old), and stuffed Kanga and Roo and crochet cowboy booties (the 4 month old). I'm not sure what to expect from them, but probably something for the baby's room, since I said I didn't need or want much of anything.

We also got, from my folks, a dresser/changing table for the baby, but we got that a couple months ago and it's been sitting unassembled in my office/the nursery since then. My plan for today is to put that together so I have somewhere to put the clothes he's already receiving.
mari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26 2013, 06:39 PM   #29
Maestro
Vice Admiral

I'm getting snow blower. Get to go pick it out (and up!) today!
Old December 26 2013, 08:24 PM   #30
RevDMV
Rear Admiral

Kids got the electronics they wanted, Ipad Mini for one, NVidia Shield for the other. Wife wanted some updates on here vehicle interior, I have the new lightweight tent I'll be using with the Boy Scout outings.

Santa was good to us