UK Auction To Feature Spock Costume
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Pine To Star In Wonder Woman
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Pegg Teases Elba Character
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

5th Passenger Teaser Trailer
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

View Poll Results: Serenity
Awesome! 43 91.49%
Rubbish! 3 6.38%
Meh... 1 2.13%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 26 2014, 10:40 PM   #1
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

SERENITY - Ship Of The Week #6 12/26/2014

SERENITY

Serenity began life when her keel was laid in August 2459. She was one of a fleet 28,000 Series 3 Firefly-class transports constructed by the Allied Spacecraft Corporation. Her history for most of her lifespan is largely unknown, but at some point she ended up in a spacecraft boneyard on Hera, derelict and unable to fly. It was here that she was purchased by her most prominent owner, Captain Malcolm Reynolds, formerly a sergeant in the forces of the Independent worlds that fought break free from the control of the worlds-spanning Alliance. The ship is named for the final battle in this conflict, The Battle of Serenity Valley, of which Captain Reynolds and First Mate Zoe Alleyne are survivors.

Serenity is an unarmed transport capable of carrying almost 83 tons of cargo, with berthing for five crew and eighteen passengers and a range (fully loaded) of 44 astronomical units. Her main powerplant is a Trace Compression Block powering two Blue Sun VTOL main thrusters and a 36-thruster reaction control system. She also carries two Endo/Exo Atmospheric shuttles, one “Flying Mule” hovercraft and mounts three one-person escape pods. With no weapons, she relies on her speed, maneuverability and a series of decoy transmitter pods to avoid hostile craft.

SERENITY

Serenity is also the name of the Universal motion picture based on the cult classic science fiction series Firefly, broadcast on the Fox Network. Both series and movie were the creation of Joss Whedon, known for the series Buffy: The Vampire Slayer, Angel and most recently Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

The film tells the story of Captain Mal Reynolds and the eclectic crew of Serenity as they face the threat of the Operative, an Alliance agent bent on capturing and killing River Tam, who has a deadly secret locked in her mind.

“Am I talking to Miranda?”

-Admiral James Greer
Admiral2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2014, 05:29 AM   #2
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

Re: SERENITY - Ship Of The Week #6 12/26/2014

Well, this poll makes me conflicted. Serenity is an awesome ship, but it is actually a piece of rubbish ready to fly apart at any second.
Old December 27 2014, 07:40 AM   #3
J. Allen
Subtextual

View J. Allen's Twitter Profile

Mal: "Ship like this, be with you 'til the day you die."
Zoë Washburne: "'Cause it's a deathtrap."

I voted Awesome.

Like My Little Pony? Join us at Brony Kingdom!

-= St. John of Trenton, Patron Saint of Cute Ponies =-
Bestowed upon me by Pondwater
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2014, 10:03 PM   #4
Keith1701
Rear Admiral

a great ship for sure.
Keith1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2014, 10:41 PM   #5
publiusr
Rear Admiral

The design was said to resemble a horse in full gallop.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29 2014, 02:07 PM   #6
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

I have to say it. I cannot believe this half-ass wanna-be now officially has more "Awesome!" votes than the Millennium Falcon. The Millennium freakin' Falcon, people...!

-Admiral James Greer
Old December 29 2014, 09:11 PM   #7
FPAlpha
Vice Admiral

OdoWanKenobi wrote: View Post
Well, this poll makes me conflicted. Serenity is an awesome ship, but it is actually a piece of rubbish ready to fly apart at any second.

You know what the first rule of flying is?

Love.

You can learn all the math in the 'Verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

'nuff said
Old December 29 2014, 09:48 PM   #8
Starkers
Admiral

publiusr wrote: View Post
Always looked more like a chicken to me!
Old December 30 2014, 03:09 AM   #9
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

Starkers wrote: View Post
publiusr wrote: View Post
Always looked more like a chicken to me!
Try a legless baby brontosaurus with rocket wings and its ass on fire...

-Admiral James Greer
Old December 30 2014, 07:23 AM   #10
Avro Arrow
Commodore

Admiral2 wrote: View Post
I have to say it. I cannot believe this half-ass wanna-be now officially has more "Awesome!" votes than the Millennium Falcon. The Millennium freakin' Falcon, people...!

If it's any consolation, what drew me into this thread was that "Serenity" appeared in the title. I don't think I've voted on any ship previously, so there's one "Awesome" vote that you might not otherwise have received.

And I probably shouldn't say this, because I know there's a lot of people here who are heavily into Star Wars, but... I really don't get all the reverence around the Millennium Falcon.
Avro Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2014, 10:40 AM   #11
Beagleman
Fleet Captain

Eh, both won't ever win any beauty contests. I voted awesome both times because they are loveable ships!
Beagleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2014, 05:50 PM   #12
BigJake
Vice Admiral

You should consider leaving the polls open. Some of us just learned "Ship of the Week" is a thing with this post. I'd happily go back and cast a vote for the Falcon but, as they say, that train has sailed.
Old December 30 2014, 07:08 PM   #13
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

Avro Arrow wrote: View Post

If it's any consolation, what drew me into this thread was that "Serenity" appeared in the title. I don't think I've voted on any ship previously, so there's one "Awesome" vote that you might not otherwise have received.
Fair enough.

And I probably shouldn't say this, because I know there's a lot of people here who are heavily into Star Wars, but... I really don't get all the reverence around the Millennium Falcon.
Actually, a couple of people said similar things in the Falcon thread, so no big.

BigKrampus wrote: View Post

You should consider leaving the polls open. Some of us just learned "Ship of the Week" is a thing with this post. I'd happily go back and cast a vote for the Falcon but, as they say, that train has sailed.
I can leave them open from now on. I've only been including closing dates on the polls because I wasn't sure myself if these threads would be "a thing" or just a minor curiosity, and I didn't want to leave a bunch of open-ended polls in threads that are being totally ignored.

-Admiral James Greer
Old December 30 2014, 09:27 PM   #14
urbandefault
Fleet Captain

Awesome? Yeah, awesome.

Jubal Early was impressed. "Good design."
Old December 30 2014, 09:41 PM   #15
Wereghost
Part-time poltergeist

Is that like the Ebon Hawk?