RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,411
Posts: 5,359,893
Members: 24,630
Currently online: 482
Newest member: DasGeneral


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old December 30 2013, 11:41 PM   #46
Stevil2001
Rear Admiral
 
Stevil2001's Avatar
 
Location: 2010
Re: Issues with current Enterprise E Bridge/senior officer staff

Paris wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
^But if every series had only one writer, then there'd only be a half-dozen or so people writing Trek novels on a regular basis, depending on how many book-original series there were. So some of the series should be open to multiple writers.
Totally. I realize this. I wasn't saying that I wanted only one writer per series, I was just saying that one writer would probably make it feel all the more cohesive in terms of characterization. Stuff like the differences of the personalities of the senior E-E staff in Before Dishonor / Q&A for example. That's all. If new writers weren't let into the club house, then we wouldn't get any new voices or perspectives.
I dunno-- the DS9 relaunch is the high watermark of lit-only characters, and it had a pretty varied set of writers. I suspect it's about strong editing and good co-ordination, among other things.
__________________
"En garde, you microscopic misanthrope! Ah, we shall call this adventure 'The One Where Larger-Than-Life Heroes Come in Small Packages.'"
Science's Less Accurate Grandmother
Stevil2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2013, 12:30 AM   #47
Defcon
Rear Admiral
 
Defcon's Avatar
 
Location: Germany
View Defcon's Twitter Profile
Re: Issues with current Enterprise E Bridge/senior officer staff

JD wrote: View Post
Defcon wrote: View Post

By the way, that KRAD isn't even on this list with a single novel is a fucking shame.
I keep hoping that the fact that he was hired to write Klingon Art of War might mean that he is or will be back writing Trek books.
Different creative team behind the book, so I doubt it has much influence on KRAD'S chances with the current editorial regime at Pocket Books. As far as I understand it Becker&Mayer is doing all the creative work and S&S "just" publishes the book.
Defcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2013, 04:29 AM   #48
TJ Sinclair
Captain
 
TJ Sinclair's Avatar
 
Location: There and back again...
Re: Issues with current Enterprise E Bridge/senior officer staff

For me, the only new Enterprise crewmember that I've cared about at all was Kadohata. She was interesting, you clearly got a sense of who she was, and her interactions with the "D crew" were good, I could easily see her becoming part of the family, as it were. I think writing her out of the series was one of the worst editorial choices in recent years. Anyway, next to Miranda, Dygan is certainly the most compelling and could grow into a good character if given the chance.

But none of the others have clicked as well as Kadohata did, not even Choudhury, and I do think a lot of that has to do with the wildly inconsistent characterizations and quality of the early TNG relaunch novels. Of those four, Q&A was the only one that actually felt right, and though it ultimately was the one that mattered least in terms of the story arc, it certainly did the best with the characters.

I know that Christopher did a lot to redeem the TNG relaunch with Greater Than the Sum, but after how badly burned I'd been by Before Dishonor, and how tired of the Borg I'd been for years, I stopped reading 24th century books all together until A Singular Destiny.

In any case, even going back and reading things that I'd skipped when they were first published, there's really nothing to make these new TNG characters as interesting and compelling as the characters created for Vanguard, or the early DS9 Relaunch, or even some members of Titan's crew. Heck, I care more about Counselor Haaj than I do about the majority of the new Enterprise crew these days. It's like reading stick figure sketches whose names are the most interesting thing about them.

I wonder there are enough "cast off" characters like Kadohata and Shar to make their own crew these days? Probably not, but it might be close.
__________________
"Social harmony is not a good goal. There's plenty of social harmony in a prison camp. The individual is the smallest and most oppressed minority..." -- Diane Carey, April 2001
TJ Sinclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2014, 12:18 AM   #49
DGCatAniSiri
Captain
 
Re: Issues with current Enterprise E Bridge/senior officer staff

The fact that, although the time elapsed in-universe is going at a decent pace, we really aren't spending much of that time with the Enterprise crew, having to bounce around the various 24th century crews to check in on everyone in the ongoing storylines, is really working against the new characters. Trys and Dygan are really the only current 'new' characters who've really left an impact with me. I think of the current Enterprise roster, and I'm not even really sure who's supposed to be where. Picard, Crusher, Worf, and La Forge are easy, but every other position has been so much up in the air since that the names aren't sticking.

While I enjoy Trek Lit's ongoing overall narrative for the 24th century crews, I think there's been a bit of a heavy focus on these major, game-change type of events in what's going on in the Trek universe, rather than smaller scale, character based stories. While I enjoy that the stories that are being told are advancing the story lines that have been set up and put into play over the years, I would really like to see some slow down when it comes to things, scale things down and focus just on the individual crews for a few books, allow us to actually get a better sense of the characters.

What'd be really nice would be for some forthcoming books to be set back a bit in the timeline, so that we can see these characters when they aren't in danger of watching the Federation collapse or something. I remember that there were periods of time in like Titan that were meant to allow for future stories to be set between them, but instead, things have continued barreling forward. At the least, it could be a chance to provide characterization for these newer characters. Given the turnover rate on the Enterprise, not to mention the fact that only about a fourth or so of the current crew on DS9 are characters we knew from the earlier novels, this could be really helpful just in allowing us a consistent idea of who are the important people of each crew.
DGCatAniSiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2014, 09:39 AM   #50
Paper Moon
Commander
 
Re: Issues with current Enterprise E Bridge/senior officer staff

DGCatAniSiri wrote: View Post
The fact that, although the time elapsed in-universe is going at a decent pace, we really aren't spending much of that time with the Enterprise crew, having to bounce around the various 24th century crews to check in on everyone in the ongoing storylines, is really working against the new characters. Trys and Dygan are really the only current 'new' characters who've really left an impact with me. I think of the current Enterprise roster, and I'm not even really sure who's supposed to be where. Picard, Crusher, Worf, and La Forge are easy, but every other position has been so much up in the air since that the names aren't sticking.

While I enjoy Trek Lit's ongoing overall narrative for the 24th century crews, I think there's been a bit of a heavy focus on these major, game-change type of events in what's going on in the Trek universe, rather than smaller scale, character based stories. While I enjoy that the stories that are being told are advancing the story lines that have been set up and put into play over the years, I would really like to see some slow down when it comes to things, scale things down and focus just on the individual crews for a few books, allow us to actually get a better sense of the characters.

What'd be really nice would be for some forthcoming books to be set back a bit in the timeline, so that we can see these characters when they aren't in danger of watching the Federation collapse or something. I remember that there were periods of time in like Titan that were meant to allow for future stories to be set between them, but instead, things have continued barreling forward. At the least, it could be a chance to provide characterization for these newer characters. Given the turnover rate on the Enterprise, not to mention the fact that only about a fourth or so of the current crew on DS9 are characters we knew from the earlier novels, this could be really helpful just in allowing us a consistent idea of who are the important people of each crew.
I agree with what you said about Trys and Dygan being the only two to really impact you (although I did like Choudhury– but she was interesting in a somewhat abstract way, and didn't "click" the way Trys and Dygan have).

As I have said elsewhere on the board, I think what you've described in your last two paragraphs are what's actually going to happen. If you're bored, the posts in question are here, here, here and here; note that these come from the review thread for A Ceremony of Losses and so THERE ARE LOTS OF SPOILERS in them for the first three novels in The Fall (Revelation and Dust, The Crimson Shadow, A Ceremony of Losses).
Paper Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2014, 06:34 PM   #51
KRAD
Keith R.A. DeCandido
 
KRAD's Avatar
 
Location: New York City
View KRAD's Twitter Profile
Re: Issues with current Enterprise E Bridge/senior officer staff

Defcon wrote: View Post
As far as I understand it Becker&Mayer is doing all the creative work and S&S "just" publishes the book.
While my primary editor on TKAOW was indeed the mighty Ben Grossblatt at becker&mayer! I did also have contact not only with John Van Citters at CBS (as always), but with Ed Schlesinger at S&S. It was very much a collaborative effort among author, packager, licensor, and publisher.

And thanks to folks who said nice things about Kadohata and Leybenzon and about me in general. A nice new year's present, that.
__________________
Keith R.A. DeCandido
Blog | Facebook | Twitter

"Even when you turn your back, you're facing something."
KRAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2014, 07:08 PM   #52
TheUsualSuspect
Lieutenant Junior Grade
 
Location: Reseda, CA
Re: Issues with current Enterprise E Bridge/senior officer staff

Like DGCatAniSiri and Paper Moon above, I think part of the lack of developed characters has to do with the pace of the larger 24th century story and how it's unfolded. It would be nice to get some novels that are set during the last few years and stand more independently of the "big" stories of Federation politics and can provide more character development, especially of the novel only characters.

I'm not as sure as Paper Moon, however, that we're basically done with advancing the 24th century chronology. I could see some of that continuing, albeit at a much slower pace, while other books with a smaller scope are coming out set in the time period between the end of Destiny and whatever the outcome of The Fall books is.
TheUsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2014, 10:41 PM   #53
Paper Moon
Commander
 
Re: Issues with current Enterprise E Bridge/senior officer staff

TheUsualSuspect wrote: View Post
I'm not as sure as Paper Moon, however, that we're basically done with advancing the 24th century chronology. I could see some of that continuing, albeit at a much slower pace, while other books with a smaller scope are coming out set in the time period between the end of Destiny and whatever the outcome of The Fall books is.
I mean, yeah, I'm basically with you; I think the chronology will be advanced, just at such a reduced pace that it'll feel like we're here to stay for a while.

And yeah, I suspect we'll get some "fill in the gaps" stories.
Paper Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2014, 10:56 PM   #54
Defcon
Rear Admiral
 
Defcon's Avatar
 
Location: Germany
View Defcon's Twitter Profile
Re: Issues with current Enterprise E Bridge/senior officer staff

KRAD wrote: View Post
Defcon wrote: View Post
As far as I understand it Becker&Mayer is doing all the creative work and S&S "just" publishes the book.
While my primary editor on TKAOW was indeed the mighty Ben Grossblatt at becker&mayer! I did also have contact not only with John Van Citters at CBS (as always), but with Ed Schlesinger at S&S. It was very much a collaborative effort among author, packager, licensor, and publisher.
I stand corrected.
Defcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:36 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.