Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

View Poll Results: Rate Peaceable Kingdoms.
Outstanding 18 20.45%
Above Average 36 40.91%
Average 30 34.09%
Below Average 3 3.41%
Poor 1 1.14%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 5 2014, 06:27 PM   #76
Reanok
Commodore

Re: TF: Peaceable Kingdoms by Dayton Ward Review Thread (Spoilers!)

I finished this book last night I was totally surprised of how the mystery was unraveled in this in suprising ways like
I hope Rikaer will return ti the Titan and that Ben Sisko& his ship the Robinson will be appearing in another novel soon. I enjpyed reading all oof the books in The Fall miniseries.It's one of tbes t Startrek miniseries I've read since Cols Equations by David Mack.
Reanok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2014, 06:58 PM   #77
Jarvisimo
Commander

trash80 wrote: View Post
Yes, that is a good point: however everyone who was helping him was so obviously a villain, or were offscreen and uncharacterised, like the captains of the Warspite and Tonawanda.

My biggest wish is that he and Velk had not committed the assassination. Earlier when blaming the Tzenkethi was simply political opportunism, Ishan felt more believable. But a full-on Oliver Stone JFK conspiracy? It was unfortunate, and also sidelined any validity the hawks would have.
Let us fight to free the world - to do away with national barriers - to do away with greed, with hate and intolerance. Let us fight for a world of reason, [that] will lead to all men’s happiness. (http://tinyurl.com/cq8ektz)

Last edited by Jarvisimo; January 5 2014 at 08:47 PM.
Jarvisimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2014, 09:59 PM   #78
JeBuS
Lieutenant Commander

What's with all the spoiler tags? We're in the review thread, it's well beyond release date. They're unnecessary.
JeBuS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2014, 03:36 AM   #79
JWolf
Commodore

David Brennon wrote: View Post
Just downloaded it. I look forward to reading!

Did anyone else have issues with a Nook?
Which nook and what sort of issues? My copy came from Kobo and it's fine on my Sony Reader PRS-650.
Old January 6 2014, 09:41 AM   #80
Mage
Commodore

JeBuS wrote: View Post
What's with all the spoiler tags? We're in the review thread, it's well beyond release date. They're unnecessary.

Respect towards others and all those sillyness.
Old January 6 2014, 09:51 AM   #81
Jar Jar Binks
Admiral

That's what the spoiler warning in the thread title is for. Anyone who enters this thread and hasn't read the book yet (such as myself) does so at their own risk.
Jar Jar Binks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2014, 10:02 AM   #82
Mage
Commodore

Skywalker wrote: View Post
That's what the spoiler warning in the thread title is for. Anyone who enters this thread and hasn't read the book yet (such as myself) does so at their own risk.

Yes, I know what the rules say. None the less, a lot of poster will still show a little extra curtosy to those who haven't read yet, and still post in spoilertags. I find that actually shows a level of compassion towards a fellow fan.
Old January 6 2014, 10:30 AM   #83
star trek
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I gave it a below average, it could've even been poor.

I get that it was the last one in the series and ward had to conclude plot lines started by other authors ... But man this book is a deflating whimper. I expected the series to end with a bang especially after the two prevous great books. It was a struggle to read. It just plods along and then stops to recant some trivia about the past. Sometimes its good to give perspective background info, but for every trivial thing? All the time ... All the time ... All the time ... Yeah for me that's what it felt like reading the book. At that point it felt like ward was short on his word count and just filling in his quota.

Not one bit of the book was interesting to read. The new characters introduced are dull and flat. The plot was Luke warm, but reasonably sound tying it together yet I could tell he struggled through it because as a reader it felt like I was wading through water.

I don't know if wards hands were tied by the editors or what but I felt like the ending book could've done something more. There was an obvious theme throughout they couldve played on that more. Maybe have a divide between the hawkish war types and the peaceable types. Show it escalating within starfleet, the council and the politicians running for president. It reaches a point where the federation is starting to crack, maybe people expect a civil war, then somehow Picard brings it back ... Something grand, epic, an ending worthy of a five novel series.

... And that ishan reveal/surprise felt like a cheap cop out.
star trek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2014, 12:01 PM   #84
Jarvisimo
Commander

star trek wrote: View Post
Maybe have a divide between the hawkish war types and the peaceable types. Show it escalating within starfleet, the council and the politicians running for president. It reaches a point where the federation is starting to crack, maybe people expect a civil war, then somehow Picard brings it back ... Something grand, epic, an ending worthy of a five novel series.
Whilst I agree about many of the book's problems, I think this idea feels too hyperbolic - I don't think I could ever believe a civil war could occur in the Federation. At least not as the Federation is presented in the Pocket Books of the past decade or so (nor certainly as presented on television). Such a plot development would really require more than five books to reach that point.

But I do wish we had seen more of varied points-of-view - such as Ro's hawkish stance in the earlier novels. Who were these hawks (other than compromised characters like Velk, Ishan and the SSec Admiral)? Some of the recap conversations also changed aspects of characterisation in the prior books in sometimes unfortunate ways, making opponent characters akin to the more cliche villains seen in Poisoned Chalice and Peaceable Kingdoms. One example is the captain of the Warspite, who seemed to have changed from the overzealous hawk of A Ceremony of Losses into a potential conspirator in a conversation between Akaar and Riker (as in directly compared with Bashir's assassin). This is though Akaar knew in Losses that Unverzagt was receiving direct communications from the President in an official, if unconventional and (for him) frustrating, manner. However that change of tone regarding such characters I guess really occurred in Chalice?
Let us fight to free the world - to do away with national barriers - to do away with greed, with hate and intolerance. Let us fight for a world of reason, [that] will lead to all men’s happiness. (http://tinyurl.com/cq8ektz)
Jarvisimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2014, 09:24 PM   #85
trash80
Lieutenant Commander

Jarvisimo wrote: View Post
Yes, that is a good point: however everyone who was helping him was so obviously a villain, or were offscreen and uncharacterised, like the captains of the Warspite and Tonawanda.
Yes but i did like how the motivations were varied.
trash80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2014, 10:09 PM   #86
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral

The black-ops SI team at the end - they were prepared to kill Starfleet officers, right? I was really surprised by that.
Old January 6 2014, 10:21 PM   #87
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Corran Horn wrote: View Post
The black-ops SI team at the end - they were prepared to kill Starfleet officers, right? I was really surprised by that.
So was Captain Silent.
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2014, 10:22 PM   #88
Thrawn
Rear Admiral

Such a wasted opportunity to really have a debate between the in-universe justifiable war hawk point of view. I wish they hadn't cartoonized and silenced the opposing viewpoint quite so strongly.
Old January 7 2014, 04:06 AM   #89
Nays
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Haven't started the book yet, but I walked into steak and shake today with my girlfriend and saw a guy sitting there reading the book. I was pretty shocked and I had to resist the urge to talk to him about the series. Lol
Nays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2014, 06:56 PM   #90
Gul Re'jal
Commodore

Location: Gul Re'jal is suspecting she's on the wrong space station

Hmm... I liked the fast pace of the book and mysteries piling up in the first part. But then, as they started to reveal themselves and came to an end, I found it flat.

When I was reading The Poisoned Chalise, I started - as I always do - trying to guess what's it's all about.

I suspected Ishan to be a Cardassian disguised as a Bajoran. He changed his reality back in the Occupation times and now was working for the True Way to destroy the alliance with the Feds. Nope.

Then I though he could be a Typhon Pact spy with the same goal. Nope.

I also wondered for a while if he wasn't some last remnant of the Kohn Ma (sp?), set on destroying the bad bad Federation from inside out.

Turning out to be someone set for the good of the Federation, even though in a misguided manner, somehow felt disappointing. Even his being a "simple" Bejoran collaborator, in spite of also being a Bajoran hero as he fought the Cardassians later, doesn't impress me.

So, while I liked all five books, this one included, the solution didn't live up to the tension and atmosphere that had been built up to that point.