RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,682
Members: 24,205
Currently online: 823
Newest member: JMSmith97

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

View Poll Results: Rate Peaceable Kingdoms.
Outstanding 18 21.18%
Above Average 35 41.18%
Average 28 32.94%
Below Average 3 3.53%
Poor 1 1.18%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 31 2013, 06:49 PM   #31
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Re: TF: Peaceable Kingdoms by Dayton Ward Review Thread (Spoilers!)

JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2013, 07:13 PM   #32
flandry84
Captain

[QUOTE=Mimi;9062239]It ends with a massive dance party. Its true, I read it.

Were there any ewoks there?
Old December 31 2013, 07:16 PM   #33
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

[QUOTE=flandry84;9070384]
Mimi wrote: View Post
It ends with a massive dance party. Its true, I read it.

Were there any ewoks there?
Since it's been spoiled, I'll not code this response - that is the weirdest thing I've read in a Trek book in a while. I can buy that Picard knows how to dance but the bit where he is break-dancing?

Don't buy it.
Old December 31 2013, 07:17 PM   #34
Reanok
Commodore

I found this book at the store today I can't wait to see how this book wraps up this terrific miniseries!
Reanok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2013, 10:02 PM   #35
Ronald Held
Rear Admiral

Only about 20% in. I wonder, with the Obsidian Order gone, if there are still any deep cover agents still operating on old instructions?
Ronald Held is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2014, 03:01 AM   #36
Nob Akimoto
Captain

View Nob Akimoto's Twitter Profile

I have to agree that the book was a bit anticlimatic. It felt a bit by the numbers to me. One thing that bothered me also was that the editing in this volume seemed a bit shoddy. For example there's a scene where a piece of dialogue is attributed to a character who isn't even "on screen". (Cruzen is given a line that should've gone to Konya)

Nob Akimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2014, 09:21 AM   #37
Paper Moon
Commander

Edit_XYZ wrote: View Post
nickyboy wrote: View Post
Finished the book about 30 mins ago. It is good book, but the weakest of the The Fall series.[...]
Paper Moon wrote: View Post
[...]
My rankings would be, from best to worst:
So - Peaceable Kingdoms, weaker than even Revelation and Dust?

This is...quite damning.
I enjoyed reading Revelation and Dust. Can't really say the same for Peaceable Kingdoms. Obviously that is totally subjective, but I feel that's okay for rankings like this.

Mimi wrote: View Post
I think that's a matter of opinion, personally. To me, Revelation and Dust is still the weakest. Half the plot had nothing to do with The Fall. Its hard to come back from that.

I don't think this book is bad, or badly written. I enjoyed reading it well enough. But because it is the final entry of the series, it is going to hold the weight of any criticisms about The Fall in general. [For which there are quite a few.]
Part of what redeems Revelation and Dust for me is that there is much that is beautiful in it. I very strongly disagree with Edit_XYZ's (and others') characterization of it as a prologue and episode recap. There is something very profound and intimate that is going on as Kira sees, for the first time, what happened when Sisko first entered the wormhole. I also think it reveals something fundamental about the Prophets– but that's a discussion for a different thread.

Basically, I think there is a lot (a whole lot) more to RaD than there was to PK.

With the official release of the book and with more people reading it, I'm going to go ahead and post my very spoiler-heavy initial thoughts (written immediately after finishing the book), in spoiler code below. (In a few places, I have added clarifying material [in brackets].)

I think Mimi articulated very well some concerns that I shared about the "big picture" of the novel (though I don't in my review go into the particular concerns she laid out) and I think Nob Akimoto articulated very well some things I didn't like about the writing.

So, without further ado... (spoilers ahead, ye have been warned):

Lastly, thinking about this today made me realize just how much of the last several years of TrekLit has been political thriller. And, for the most part, that's been great. But, especially as I think about A Choice of Futures or The Body Electric, I do wonder what the cost of that has been. Has it really been worth not getting a dozen novels about exploring strange new worlds? I don't know.
Paper Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2014, 10:12 AM   #38
Mage
Fleet Captain

Seriously? I got an email on new yearsday that this was shipped during the night. As if any parcels will be delivered on newyears day.
Old January 1 2014, 01:33 PM   #39
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Old January 1 2014, 02:48 PM   #40
Mimi
Lieutenant Commander

I completely agree. The concept itself is solid. I think all three conspiracies might have been a little too top heavy, but focusing on one or two of them and really giving them meat would have made for an excellent series.

Particularly because:
Mimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2014, 06:03 PM   #41
Elias Vaughn
Captain

Last edited by Elias Vaughn; January 1 2014 at 08:35 PM.
Elias Vaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2014, 06:40 PM   #42
DS9forever
Captain

I always like when a character from from other books/short stories is brought back by an author; in this case the author brought back the Cardassian doctor Daret from "Acts of Compassion" from The Sky's the Limit. The only problem is that the first name was "Ialona" in "Acts of Compassion" and "Ilona" in Peaceable Kingdoms. Not a big mistake I admit.
DS9forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2014, 08:28 PM   #43
Jarvisimo
Commander

I'm 69% through, and not really enjoying. It reminds me of the dulled reaction I had when I read Summon the Thunder after Precipice, for example. It has been repetitive (of both Poisoned Chalice) and itself. Why is everyone's particular history repeated so much! Everything feels extremely unnecessarily explained. This is the fifth book in a series: really, the reader can - should - be trusted to know who most people are and recall events from the prior 4 (for example: really, Dygal's history? A major character in book 2 needs re-introduction? Or Sakoura needs another mention? Or Tom Riker needs a reintroduction after the rather effortless introduction of such a major player of Book 4? Etc). Some things have been great or ok ('I'm not Will', for example), but I do feel disjointed from what has being going on in prior novels. Also must every character regret an enemy's death in such repetitive fashions?

My biggest plot-versus-chracterisation bug has been that I really cannot believe that four days of public arguing could convince many people that Jean-Luc and Beverly were having a major crisis. It's too rushed.

Maybe I will be happier by the end. I hope so!
Old January 2 2014, 03:59 PM   #44
Romulan_spy
Commodore

Jarvisimo wrote: View Post
Why is everyone's particular history repeated so much! Everything feels extremely unnecessarily explained. This is the fifth book in a series: really, the reader can - should - be trusted to know who most people are and recall events from the prior 4 (for example: really, Dygal's history? A major character in book 2 needs re-introduction? Or Sakoura needs another mention? Or Tom Riker needs a reintroduction after the rather effortless introduction of such a major player of Book 4? Etc).
I noticed that too. It is as though the book was going out of its way to be as much of a standalone book as possible. Perhaps the publisher put pressure on the author to include these passage so that the book would be more accessible to new readers who had not read the previous books?

I thought the first chapters were a bit slow. But I did enjoy the second half after the E starts chasing the other ship.

So why was the series called "the fall"? I can only assume it is a reference to the Federation's fall from its core principles. But I was hoping for something more epic like seeing the collapse of the Typhon Pact.
Romulan_spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2014, 05:47 PM   #45
Mimi
Lieutenant Commander

Romulan_spy wrote: View Post
Perhaps the publisher put pressure on the author to include these passage so that the book would be more accessible to new readers who had not read the previous books?
From what I understand, each book of The Fall was intended to be stand alone. Except in reality, there's clearly a progression of information being given to the reader. I feel like writing each book like it was its own little island was a huge mistake for this kind of story.

Since Peaceable Kingdoms has to wrap up all loose ends, it ends up going through tedious amounts of over explaining to cover all its bases.

I also got the sense that some storylines were pushed to the side so that not a lot had to be explained about them.
Mimi is offline   Reply With Quote