Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old December 20 2013, 05:05 AM   #16
PicardSpeedo
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Dubious Doors

Push The Button wrote: View Post
Elf Spock wrote: View Post
Since this thread has been posted in the General Forum not the TNG forum I'll post something about TOS. You know how people's cabin doors open in TO when you just go near them like at the shopping centre, how come they didn't just open when people just walked down the corridors? I mean how did the doors know when you wanted to go in or when you were walking by. Or did they actually press buttons to go in - I can't remember this being the case.

I'm trying to think of this situation in say VOY but the camera angle in VOY always seemed to be from inside the cabin not from the corridor.
Space 1999 killed two birds with one stone with the commlock, which was part keyless-remote-entry and part communicator.

I seem to recall that you had to push a button to open a door on the NX-01 Enterprise, am I remembering this correctly? (I'm too lazy to pull it up on Netflix right now.)
The NX-01 was only a figment of Riker's shenanigans on the holodeck. You can not use that as a primary source. :-P
PicardSpeedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2013, 05:46 AM   #17
Avro Arrow
Fleet Captain

Elf Spock wrote: View Post
Since this thread has been posted in the General Forum not the TNG forum I'll post something about TOS. You know how people's cabin doors open in TO when you just go near them like at the shopping centre, how come they didn't just open when people just walked down the corridors? I mean how did the doors know when you wanted to go in or when you were walking by. Or did they actually press buttons to go in - I can't remember this being the case.
The doors on the TOS Connies were made by the fine people of the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation, and were very smart. They actually utilized some of the same mind-scanning technology that was in the TOS Universal Translator, and used it to determine your intent when approaching the door. If they saw that you intended to walk through the door, they would happily open and allow you to pass through unharmed. However, if they saw that you were in a state of emotional distress because your mother just stormed out of your quarters after an argument about giving your father a life-saving blood transfusion, and you just wanted to approach the door and forlornly rest your hand upon it so as to evoke a sense of pathos in whomever may be watching, they would obligingly stay closed in order to preserve the dramatic integrity of the moment.

And of course, they would sigh contentedly as they opened and closed. Because they just lived to open and close!
Avro Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2013, 06:59 AM   #18
The Old Building & Loan
Vice Admiral

Avro Arrow wrote: View Post
However, if they saw that you were in a state of emotional distress because your mother just stormed out of your quarters after an argument about giving your father a life-saving blood transfusion, and you just wanted to approach the door and forlornly rest your hand upon it so as to evoke a sense of pathos in whomever may be watching, they would obligingly stay closed in order to preserve the dramatic integrity of the moment.