TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Dorn To Voice Firefly Character

No ALS Ice Bucket For Saldana

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old May 15 2014, 12:05 PM   #1
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain

Race & Spider-Man: Sony Confirms a Glass Ceiling for Miles Morales

Basically, Sony has confirmed that the black version of Spider-Man (from Ultimate Spider-Man) won't ever be in any future movies made by Sony, as they want to keep it the story of Peter Parker. Naturally, this is pissing people off, as one can see by the Tweets made by this article's author: (Race & Spider-Man: Sony Confirms a Glass Ceiling for Miles Morales)

Personally, although I love the idea, I think that Miles should be exposed a little bit more to the wider public beyond the readers of Ultimate Spider-Man before millions are spent on a movie featuring him, but that's just me. Anybody else think the same thing?
Shaka Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2014, 12:18 PM   #2
Tosk
Rear Admiral

Re: Race & Spider-Man: Sony Confirms a Glass Ceiling for Miles Morales

It's not racism. It's no different to Sony (Avi) saying, "You'll never see Ben Reilly as Spider-Man."

Edit: I hadn't clicked yet, now I have. The question also included Ben Reilly and Miguel O’Hara, so that's that. How can somehow honestly claim racism at the Miles (and Miguel) shut-out without just conveniently ignoring Ben Reilly? To clarify; we will never see an identical, white clone of Peter Parker as Spider-Man on film. Racists!
Tosk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2014, 12:38 PM   #3
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

This sort of reasoning is a catch-22. You don't see a lot of superhero/comic book movies featuring central characters as people of color, because they aren't popular in the comics, and they aren't popular in the comics because comics have long been a predominantly white medium, so no one reaches that level of popularity to justify making a film.

Then again, you've got black people getting cast as the Storms in the new Fantastic Four movie, so maybe one day we'll get a black Peter Parker, too.
My blog
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2014, 12:41 PM   #4
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

I would question whether or not Sony would have the rights to Miles Morales as a specific character in the first place. The movie rights were sold to Columbia (who was then bought by Sony) back in the 90s, and I harbor doubts that the contract would be worded so vaguely that Sony would automatically hold the rights to a character created within the last five years.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2014, 12:44 PM   #5
Tosk
Rear Admiral

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
Then again, you've got black people getting cast as the Storms in the new Fantastic Four movie, so maybe one day we'll get a black Peter Parker, too.
I would much rather see Miles as Spidey than just "making Peter black". What I really want to see though, is a Black Panther movie. C'mon already!
Tosk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2014, 12:52 PM   #6
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Except for skin color, what would be the difference? Have black Peter Parker beat up racists just to make a point?
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2014, 12:57 PM   #7
Mr Light
Admiral

That'd be hilarious if Marvel owned the rights to Miles Morales, so they could put HIM in the Avengers films but not Peter Parker

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2014, 01:03 PM   #8
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

I have no problem with the movie version of Spider-Man being Peter Parker. I think that has to do with other things besides race.

Given a little more time to get her established, I'd love to see Kamela Khan, though.
Old May 15 2014, 01:10 PM   #9
Locutus of Bored
A Certain Point of View

I don't think this is a racial issue so much as it is an issue that when people think of Spider-Man, they mostly think of Peter Parker. Maybe in a while Miles Morales will supplant or rival Parker in name recognition among casual fans that you need to have a decent box office take, and then they would reconsider the decision.
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2014, 01:11 PM   #10
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

I wonder what they would be saying had Warner Bros. continued The Dark Knight with Joseph Gordon Lewitt's character, as that was the whole point about the new Batman franchise, that anyone, not only Bruce Wayne, can be Batman.
Old May 15 2014, 02:03 PM   #11
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Except for skin color, what would be the difference? Have black Peter Parker beat up racists just to make a point?
You might as well ask what's the difference in having non-white actors in movies to begin with.
My blog
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2014, 02:12 PM   #12
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

The thing is, Peter Parker is such a neutral character, his skin color makes no difference.

Black Superman would be very different. A black kid ("adopted" by white parents perhaps?) growing up in a small town in Kansas...
Old May 15 2014, 02:42 PM   #13
Gaith
Rear Admiral

If we're ever to have a non-PP Spider-Man at the movies, I vote for a female Spider-Person. Could be a black female Spider-Woman; why not. But I don't read comics, so I can't say as I care about this Morales fellow.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2014, 02:48 PM   #14
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Mr Light wrote: View Post
That'd be hilarious if Marvel owned the rights to Miles Morales, so they could put HIM in the Avengers films but not Peter Parker
He would have to have a different code name -- Arachnid, Iron Spider, something that wasn't "Spider-Man." But then it would get tricky, because Sony could argue in court that Marvel was diluting their film rights to an arachnid-powered super-hero.

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
I wonder what they would be saying had Warner Bros. continued The Dark Knight with Joseph Gordon Lewitt's character, as that was the whole point about the new Batman franchise, that anyone, not only Bruce Wayne, can be Batman.
I wish Warners had rolled the dice and at least tried a John Blake Batman movie, just to see if it would work.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2014, 02:50 PM   #15
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

"Aren't you a little short to be Batman?"