Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old December 27 2013, 02:09 AM   #31
Lonemagpie
Writer

Re: Could YOU handle acting in heavy alien prosthetics?

I've the full Narn makeup and the full Cyberman gear a couple of times, and that was in Britain in winter and was stewing... I have to give full props to those who do it under studio lights in SoCal!

In fact I got the chance to tell Andreas Katsulas that while G'Kar had always been my favourite character in B5, my respect for him had multiplied tenfold when I wore the full kit for a weekend or two for a fanvid and found out what it was really like...

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2013, 06:00 AM   #32
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

alpha_leonis wrote: View Post
LeVar Burton has complained that wearing the Visor prop caused him vision issues.
I'm not surprised. They should have had his character go through some kind of medical procedure early in the series so the actor wouldn't have to suffer through that.

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2013, 07:16 AM   #33
Push The Button
Commander

Timewalker wrote: View Post
LeVar Burton has complained that wearing the Visor prop caused him vision issues.
I'm not surprised. They should have had his character go through some kind of medical procedure early in the series so the actor wouldn't have to suffer through that.
True, Steve Austin had a bionic eye made with 1972 technology, so you would think that by the 24th century...well, Geordi did finally get to trade in his visor for artificial eyes by First Contact.
It is the stated position of the Department of Defense and the United States Air Force that a rigidly enforced system of safeguards and controls insure that occurrences such as those depicted in this story cannot happen.
Push The Button is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2013, 08:05 AM   #34
maneth
Captain

Kirby wrote: View Post
I can't even talk in front of a group of people without feeliing like I'm going to pass out, so I assume that adding a claustrophobic, heavy latex prosthetic would probably just make me wet myself before passing out.
Or it could help you get over your performance anxiety. I know the best thing I ever did in high school was taking drama as an extracurricular activity. Sure, it can make you nervous if you're afraid of messing up your lines, but you're playing a part, and people are judging you based on how well you play it, not who you are.

Live action movies and tv are a different beast altogether, because you can spend all day shooting just one scene, in front of a few dozen people at most.

Back on topic, I have very sensitive skin, to the point that I normally don't wear any makeup at all, so I doubt I could wear prosthetics for long either. I also have this phobia about getting things in my eyes, so I'm certain I couldn't wear contacts.

But if my skin would cooperate, I think playing a Vulcan or Bajoran might be possible for a few days.
Old December 28 2013, 04:41 PM   #35
SoM
Commander

I tried contacts once and had an allergic reaction. Non-starter for me.

It seems Trek latex makeup breaks down into four basic categories:
1) Small rubber bits (e.g., Bajoran, Vulcan)
2) Large part of face (e.g. Klingon)
3) Full face (e.g. Cardassian, Odo)
4) Full head (e.g. Ferengi)

I could handle (1), but not sure about (2)-(4).

Apparently, during the filming of the DS9 S5 opener, Colm Meaney was complaining about how horrible the Klingon makeup was... Only for Rene A to come onto set and say what a *relief* it was compared to his usual Odo makeup!
SoM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29 2013, 05:09 PM   #36
Elder Knight
Captain

I can see why they had to settle for "forehead-only" mods on a great many actors, enough so that it became a joke.

(It's funny how every major movie or TV show that involves elaborate makeup was always shot in the summertime of a particularly hot year. You'd think that they'd try filming in the other months sometime. Or maybe that's just the way the actors remember it.)
Elder Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29 2013, 05:37 PM   #37
plynch
Commodore

View plynch's Twitter Profile

Could handle it. Would handle it for actor's pay. Unpleasant, fo sho. But doable. There would be fun to it too (i.e. acting, acting with fun people on a fun show, adding to the resumé etc.).
Old December 29 2013, 10:59 PM   #38
austen_pierce
Commander

Nope, not for me. I can handle heat OK, but only if there's air circulation. Stifle me in a costume or make-up like that and I am done for.
austen_pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2013, 07:26 AM   #39
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Push The Button wrote: View Post
Timewalker wrote: View Post
True, Steve Austin had a bionic eye made with 1972 technology, so you would think that by the 24th century...well, Geordi did finally get to trade in his visor for artificial eyes by First Contact.
LaForge's VISOR enabled him to essentially be a walking tricorder--he could see far more than regular sighted people did. Ocular implants that could give normal sight were already available at the time TNG began (Dr. Pulaski had performed surgeries with them in the past), but none were available yet that could let him see all up and down the EM bandwidth like a VISOR could. The moment that happened, LaForge switched to the implants.
Old December 30 2013, 05:46 PM   #40
desfem79
Lieutenant Commander

hmm.. I could handle Worf/Klingon make-up, but not sure about Borg.
desfem79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2013, 10:15 PM   #41
Gul Re'jal
Commodore

Location: Gul Re'jal is suspecting she's on the wrong space station

I would probably try, but it would be a no-no for contacts.

I don't think I could handle it for long (many episodes), though, due to skin problems. I have serious problems now, so I don't even want to think what (possibly irreversible) damage could rubber glued to me do.

"Reagan, it appears, is really only an ardent unionist if the unions in question are in Poland" - Stephen King, Skeleton Crew
Gul Re'jal is offline   Reply With Quote