The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old December 18 2013, 02:01 AM   #16
Chrono85
Lieutenant Commander

View Chrono85's Twitter Profile
Re: Has Star Trek had more hours made for the screen than any other?

Rarewolf wrote: View Post
Chrono85 wrote: View Post
This is not counting the Doctor Who spin-offs like Torchwood and the Sarah Jane stuff, but I'm not sure that those would put it over the top anyway, or that they should really be counted.
Certainly wouldn't put it over the top (adds about 52 hours) but I don't see why they wouldn't be counted. Same franchise, with crossovers.

Comic strip totals might be interesting to compare, since I guess 2 or 3 Trek's must have been running at the same time. Doctor has had a strip in some form since 1964. As well as longest running magazine based on a TV programme.

How many original Trek Novels? At least 300 for Doctor Who in print, not counting 156 novelistions, or original books for audio.

And that's without counting audio drama.

I'm surprised Trek's never got very far with audio drama.
From my count, 698 individual comic books set in the world of Star Trek, have been produced over the years, and about 591 original Star Trek novels, not counting novelizations of TV episodes and films. These novel series are still ongoing. Unfortunately, there are only seven original audio dramas of Star Trek. So Trek way outpaces Who in print, but Who blows Star Trek away in audio productions.
Chrono85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2013, 12:50 PM   #17
Rarewolf
Rear Admiral

Doctor Who probably blows away other audio dramas based on a Television show full stop. No one else is that crazy

Odd to think there could well be more hours of Paul McGann playing the Doctor, than there are of William Shatner as James T Kirk.

Big Finish would have loved to have got hold of Trek - they could have released 4 a month (single reader personal logs perhaps?) without running out of possibilities or actors. But I think the rights were unavailible due to the movie revival.
Old December 18 2013, 04:26 PM   #18
Chrono85
Lieutenant Commander

I would love for Big Finish to produce some audio Treks Unfortunately, CBS and Paramount are way protective right now, which seems to be why we can't get another TV series. Plus, CBS and Paramount would probably demand that it be set in the Abramsverse. How many hours has McGann produced for audio? Shatner actually isn't the most prominent Trek actor; that honor belongs to Michael Dorn, but I'm not sure that even he surpasses McGann in total recorded time portraying the same character.
Old December 18 2013, 04:33 PM   #19
Elvira
Vice Admiral

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
I think there are soap operas out there with far more output than Star Trek.
I would include Dark Shadows, it definately is fantasy, and included science fiction storylines involving time travel and medical (med-babble) explainations, research, and attempted cures of vampires and werewolves.

Unless you what to exclude those Star Trek and Doctor Who episodes that were primarily fantasy.

Elvira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2013, 05:16 PM   #20
Christopher
Writer

Unfortunately, there are only seven original audio dramas of Star Trek. So Trek way outpaces Who in print, but Who blows Star Trek away in audio productions.
There are more than seven. Peter Pan/Power Records produced eleven different "Star Trek Story Records" adventures, seven based on TOS and four based on TMP (and six of the eleven were released in comics form alongside the records). And Simon & Schuster published three original Captain Sulu Adventures in 1994-5, as well as the two Spock vs. Q audiobooks produced by Alien Voices. That makes sixteen in all.

I would love for Big Finish to produce some audio Treks Unfortunately, CBS and Paramount are way protective right now, which seems to be why we can't get another TV series. Plus, CBS and Paramount would probably demand that it be set in the Abramsverse.
Bad Robot probably would, but I don't think CBS would. If anything, it might be considered preferable to keep the audios in the original continuity so there was no conflict with the Abramsverse -- much like the Big Finish Doctor Who audios only have the license to classic Doctors.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2013, 05:32 PM   #21
Chrono85
Lieutenant Commander

There are more than seven. Peter Pan/Power Records produced eleven different "Star Trek Story Records" adventures, seven based on TOS and four based on TMP (and six of the eleven were released in comics form alongside the records). And Simon & Schuster published three original Captain Sulu Adventures in 1994-5, as well as the two Spock vs. Q audiobooks produced by Alien Voices. That makes sixteen in all.
Thank you for pointing this out I did a google search to try and find all of the Trek audios, but I guess I did not dig deep enough. Still, I hope that more are produced in the future.

Bad Robot probably would, but I don't think CBS would. If anything, it might be considered preferable to keep the audios in the original continuity so there was no conflict with the Abramsverse -- much like the Big Finish Doctor Who audios only have the license to classic Doctors.
This is true, of course a couple of the TOS actors are no longer alive, and the others are quite a bit older now and their voices have probably changed, but it could be easily done from TNG onwards. That is, if the actors are willing to do it.
Old December 18 2013, 08:45 PM   #22
Rarewolf
Rear Admiral

How many hours has McGann produced for audio? Shatner actually isn't the most prominent Trek actor; that honor belongs to Michael Dorn, but I'm not sure that even he surpasses McGann in total recorded time portraying the same character.
I reckon Paul's done about 130 CDs worth, between 50-75 minutes each. So that's coming close to seven season's
worth of Trek. Obviously Michael clocked up eleven seasons.

Even with Tom being a late convert to audio (but making up for it!) Up to July I think makes 48 episodes (roughly 2 TV seasons worth) so that's like 9 seasons. And there's at least three different projects on the go on top of that. So he might just equal Michael in terms of episodes; but they are half the length.
Old December 18 2013, 09:04 PM   #23
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

Does CSI count as science fiction, or just fictional science?
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2013, 10:21 AM   #24
Maurice
Vice Admiral

View Maurice's Twitter Profile

For the record, the total running time of all Dark Shadows TV shows and movie (including the 1991 12 episode remake) is about 544 hours (I can't find a running time for the unsuccessful 2005 WB pilot, so I didn't include it), whereas for Trek it's about 542, and that's close enough that the margin of error means it's basically a draw.
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2013, 10:41 AM   #25
MacLeod
Admiral

Well if we are talking franchises than yes ST does, DW (and spin offs TW, SJA, K9 & Company) clock in somewhere around the 440 hours mark.

But you could make an argument that DW has the record for a single Sci-Fi show. Despite all the cast changes, it has one thing that has remaind constant the title character, The Doctor.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2013, 04:52 PM   #26
Chrono85
Lieutenant Commander

MacLeod wrote: View Post
Well if we are talking franchises than yes ST does, DW (and spin offs TW, SJA, K9 & Company) clock in somewhere around the 440 hours mark.

But you could make an argument that DW has the record for a single Sci-Fi show. Despite all the cast changes, it has one thing that has remaind constant the title character, The Doctor.
'

Well, the original Doctor Who ran for 26 years, and that is a record as far as I know. However, from a production standpoint, the 63-89 show, and the 2005 - Present show, are two different series. The latter is really a 'sequel' to the original, and set in the same continuity.
Old December 20 2013, 11:20 PM   #27
MacLeod
Admiral

I would disagree and say the 2005- present is a continuation. It's essential the same show it was back cancelled in (or indefinate hiatus as Auntie Beeb might say). The story of alien who travels throught time and space with one or more companions fighting evil.

But we could be arguing semantics over the terms continuation and sequel
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
Old December 21 2013, 12:51 AM   #28
Christopher
Writer

MacLeod wrote: View Post
But we could be arguing semantics over the terms continuation and sequel
Is there a difference? Most sequels are continuations. The word "sequel" simply means "what follows."

Granted, though, television sequels are generally "next generation" sort of affairs or spinoffs in different settings. Doctor Who is unusual in that the "next generation" of the lead character is the same lead character.

The term I prefer for a show like the new Doctor Who is "revival series." I also use that term for the '88 Mission: Impossible, which was straight up just starting the series back up again 15 years later with the same lead and a new supporting cast.

Old December 21 2013, 02:12 AM   #29
MacLeod
Admiral

^Which is why I said it was a continuation. As you say in TV land we tend to thing of sequels as TNG type affairs.
Old December 21 2013, 02:18 AM   #30
Christopher
Writer

But a continuation is still a type of sequel, even if not all sequels are direct continuations.

I mean, it would be disingenuous to say that the new Doctor Who is just the same production returning after an extremely long hiatus. It's made by a whole new production team and isn't even shot in the same country. In every sense except story continuity, it's a new and separate series. So it's a sequel, a revival, and a continuation.