RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,670
Members: 24,822
Currently online: 445
Newest member: The Great Duck

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old December 18 2013, 05:46 AM   #16
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: Dislike of Music

I listen to music all the time when I'm driving (trusty iPod classic) and when I'm trying to sleep (I have Liquid Mind playing at night at all times - helps me relax). So I could not get along without music.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2013, 06:07 AM   #17
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

I love music. Mostly of the popular variety. Rock, Country, R & B and some Pop. Not really into Classical or Soundtracks, but I can appreciate them. Can't really imagine a life without music. So many songs trigger memories both good and bad.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2013, 06:10 AM   #18
propita
Rear Admiral

I've noticed that, when I'm really into the work I'm doing, I don't hear the music I have on.

One week at my old job, since I worked alone in that room, I put a cd on repeating a single song for about 6 hours. For the whole week. People passing by who heard were all "wtf is going on?" I swear I didn't hear the song through a single time.
propita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2013, 06:40 AM   #19
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

I can't ever imagine myself not liking music. It helps shape me as a person, and I think whatever someone listens to can say a lot about their character.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2013, 06:53 AM   #20
CorporalCaptain
Admiral

I like all kinds of music.
Old December 18 2013, 10:26 AM   #21
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

Saito S wrote: View Post
Ohh, that's a good one. For rousing trailer music, Audiomachine are also pretty awesome:

The best part of that track comes at about the 2:30 mark!
LOL, a couple weeks ago I had a dream where I was in a dramatic discussion with some nameless person and trying to get them to see my side of "it" whatever it was.. and in the background of this dream the Duel of Fates was playing. Which I have been laughing about ever since.

As far as soundtrack music goes this piece is one of the loveliest ever..

I do however dislike listening to a lot of old music I was burned out on before I was 20, I can't seem to listen to the same thing for decades like a lot of people do. I like new stuff. If I ever hear the Eagles again I will puke.
Ha! I know what you mean. There's some music from the late 80s and early 90s (some prime examples off the top of my head are the B52s, especially "Love Shack", The Cure, and The Cranberries) that - in a vacuum - I wouldn't mind too much. None of those would be something I'd listen to myself, based on my tastes, but I wouldn't mind it; if I hear it, it'd be just like ok sure, whatever, music is going in the background. But, because my sister listened to them a TON when we were growing up, I got sick of em and now if I hear them again I sort of cringe and think Gha not this! [/QUOTE]

My sister listened to The Beatles every day through my whole adolescence, to the point where I cannot really hear them any more. She had all the albums and her room was covered in Beatles photos, every single square inch of the walls. I have never voluntarily listened to them because of this

I pretty much did that myself with The Cure which I listened to until they were PULP. Just really over listened for a long time. I swear I can hear three notes in the background of some noisy shop and I will say "this is The Cure".

I do overplay stuff, I tend to have one song on repeat and listen it to it compulsively for an hour or more. I've always done that and if a song has risen to that point of playability it's in some hall of fame for me.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2013, 12:09 PM   #22
Zulu Romeo
is doing this now

Music is life.

I continue to be Zion Ravescene...
Zulu Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2013, 02:23 PM   #23
mari
Captain

I majored in Music, so... yeah.

There are songs I don't like, artists/bands/composers I don't care for, and I can't stand Stevie Nicks' voice. Despite my professors' best efforts, I fail to understand much of improvisational jazz. I prefer Russian composers over the German/Austrian ones, and I prefer the music of my father's childhood over pretty much anything else (particularly the Beatles and the Beach Boys).

If someone gets absolutely nothing out of music, and they are not deaf (and deaf people can still appreciate lyrics and a really cranked up bass line!), I have to wonder what's not clicked in their brain. And if someone says they hate music, I assume they have not listened to all the possibilities and found their niche yet. But, obviously, I'm biased.
mari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2013, 03:34 PM   #24
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

My father dislikes music (and just about everything else under the sun really) but personally I rarely leave the house without my iPod.

My tastes may be odd and my collection smallish (15GB, ~2000 songs) but I couldn't do without it for long.
Old December 18 2013, 04:26 PM   #25
bbailey861
Admiral

I love music. All kinds of music. I can't imagine not having music in my life.
bbailey861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2013, 06:04 PM   #26
WillsBabe
Vice Admiral

I read an article in The Guardian several years ago by a guy whose wife hated music. He wrote at length about life with her and how unsual it was for someone to dislike music. It was only on reading the article that I realised that I too largely dislike music. When people speak about what music means to them, what an important part of their life it is I can't relate to that at all. Don't get me wrong, there are some pieces of music I like, some songs etc but by and large music is a miniscule part of my life and if I never heard it again it wouldn't worry me. Often even the songs I like just sound like noise to me and I'd rather have quiet.

WillsBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2013, 08:16 PM   #27
macloudt
Shut up, I'm counting

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to macloudt

Music is a big part of my life. My mother's side of the family was very musical, and my mother played piano every day, instilling a love of classical music in me. There's almost always music playing in our house. I like a lot of genres, though one genre which I can't stand is musicals. I love opera, though. With most people it's the other way around.
Old December 18 2013, 09:52 PM   #28
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

I like opera as well. As long as it's by Philip Glass. Otherwise, .
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2013, 10:06 PM   #29
CorporalClegg
Admiral

I could never understand how people don't like music. I've know several and it's always seemed so odd to me. Music is such a fundamental part of the human experience.

It's like people who don't like pets.
Old December 18 2013, 10:09 PM   #30
Miss Chicken
Little three legged cat with attitude

Kelthaz wrote: View Post
You're not alone. I work in an open office, so I do listen to music to drown out my coworkers. However, I would much prefer silence. I do enjoy background music while watching a movie or playing a video game to enhance the mood, but outside of media I find it a distraction.

Although I don't hate music, I do dislike lyrics. If I'm going to listen to music I'd prefer it to be instrumental music.
WillsBabe wrote: View Post
I read an article in The Guardian several years ago by a guy whose wife hated music. He wrote at length about life with her and how unsual it was for someone to dislike music. It was only on reading the article that I realised that I too largely dislike music. When people speak about what music means to them, what an important part of their life it is I can't relate to that at all. Don't get me wrong, there are some pieces of music I like, some songs etc but by and large music is a miniscule part of my life and if I never heard it again it wouldn't worry me. Often even the songs I like just sound like noise to me and I'd rather have quiet.
It is nice to know that I am not quite alone in my attitude towards music.

It seems that there are a few famous who also didn't like music such as Theodore Roosevelt, Ulysses Grant, Che Guevara, possibly Charles Darwin and it seems that Sigmund Freud absolutely detested it.
Miss Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote