Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old January 1 2014, 05:58 PM   #1
Mr Light
Admiral

Next Generation and the Dominion War

Back in the day I read the two TNG Dominion War wormhole books and the Battle of Betazed. Are there anymore TNG novels dealing with the Dominion War?

It always seemed to me to be a real missed opportunity that we didn't get to see more of the Enterprise's involvement in the war. They are the flagship after all! They should have had a leading role throughout the war.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2014, 06:04 PM   #2
Reanok
Commodore

Re: Next Generation and the Dominion War

There's a whole story anthology Tales of the Dominion war.That have stories about Tng and Ds9 characters that tells of their experiences during the war .I thought the stories were well written you may want to check it out.
Reanok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2014, 06:20 PM   #3
KRAD
Keith R.A. DeCandido

View KRAD's Twitter Profile

The three books you mention are the only novels that show the Big E taking an active role in the Dominion War. Several novels take place during the war -- The Q-Continuum trilogy by Greg Cox, Immortal Coil by Jeffrey Lang, Planet X by Michael Jan Friedman, a few of the Shatner/Reeves-Stevens novels -- but only make passing references to it as Picard and the gang are doing other things.

However, some short fiction and comics do deal with it. The WildStorm graphic novels Forgiveness by David Brin & Scott Hampton and especially The Gorn Crisis by Kevin J. Anderson, Rebecca Moesta, & Igor Kordey involve the Enterprise-E doing warrish things.

As for short fiction, there's "Suicide Note" by Geoff Trowbridge and my own "Four Lights" in The Sky's the Limit and three stories in Tales of the Dominion War: "What Dreams May Come" by Michael Jan Friedman, "Mirror Eyes" by Heather Jarman & Jeffrey Lang, and "Eleven Hours Out" by Dave Galanter.

"Even when you turn your back, you're facing something."
KRAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2014, 07:21 PM   #4
Mr Light
Admiral

That boggles my mind. Seems like a great opportunity for a) franchise synergy and b) telling an important story. TNG never got to do war stories.

Old January 1 2014, 09:23 PM   #5
Christopher
Writer

"Got to do?" What an odd turn of phrase, as if war stories were somehow better than other kinds. Star Trek is supposed to be about people who are smart enough and dedicated enough to find alternatives to war. War is a failure of everything the franchise and its characters stand for. Personally I think DS9 spent a year too long on the Dominion War as it was.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2014, 10:08 PM   #6
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

Mr Light wrote: View Post
They are the flagship after all! They should have had a leading role throughout the war.
In a way we could argue that they did play a leading role, and one probably suited to the flagship. Given its reputation, and given Picard's diplomatic experience, Starfleet seems to have used the Enterprise in efforts to acquire new allies, showing the flag and trying to build a more extensive support base for the Federation. In Immortal Coil it's mentioned that they've just returned from the Tzenkethi, where they've made a case for why the Autarch should support the Federation against the Dominion, and in The Gorn Crisis they're orbiting Gornar for similar reasons. So that's two of the major nations they're pestering. "Suicide Note" places them at Romulus almost immediately after the Romulans enter the war, and I believe that Picard was meeting with their fleet command after his visit to the Jaroks.

In Insurrection they're at Evora, which Picard notes is a matter of helping the Federation's image, a morale boost if nothing strategically important - "look, everyone, worlds continue to show confidence in the Federation, they're eager to join us, we'll still be here in six months, please ignore all that boasting coming out of Cardassia".

Last edited by Deranged Nasat; January 1 2014 at 10:18 PM.
Deranged Nasat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2014, 10:14 PM   #7
Mr Light
Admiral

Isn't the Enterprise the most powerful warship in the fleet, though?

Old January 1 2014, 10:30 PM   #8
Christopher
Writer

Mr Light wrote: View Post
Isn't the Enterprise the most powerful warship in the fleet, though?
Based on what? Technically, the only "warships" in all of Starfleet, the only ships designed for the primary purpose of combat, are the Defiant class.

True, I've assumed in the past that the Sovereign and Intrepid classes were part of a post-Wolf 359 push to develop more combat-capable ships for fighting the Borg, but in retrospect, if they had been designed for combat, wouldn't we have seen some of them in the battle fleets shown on DS9?

Picard is a captain whose career has been defined primarily on the basis of his accomplishments as an explorer and diplomat. He's had enough tactical experience to be drawn on for various potential combat situations, but his chief expertise and interest is in diplomacy and science. And the fact is, wars are often won more by diplomacy than by weapons. The American Revolution would've gotten nowhere if Benjamin Franklin's diplomatic skills hadn't persuaded the French to support the revolutionaries. So it would've been stupid for Starfleet to waste their best diplomat, Picard, on frontline combat when he was far more valuable recruiting allies and aid.

Old January 2 2014, 01:54 AM   #9
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post

True, I've assumed in the past that the Sovereign and Intrepid classes were part of a post-Wolf 359 push to develop more combat-capable ships for fighting the Borg, but in retrospect, if they had been designed for combat, wouldn't we have seen some of them in the battle fleets shown on DS9?
There are production reasons that was the case, as I suspect you know.
Old January 2 2014, 02:53 AM   #10
JD
Admiral

Isn't there a line in Insurrection about how they've been on the outskirts of the Federation, putting out "brushfires"? That does sound to me like they weren't very involved in the war, so it makes sense that we wouldn't have a lot of war stories with them. Besides, we got plenty of war stories on DS9, so other than answering the question of what the TNG characters (other than Worf) were up to, which has already been answered in the stories discussed above, I don't see the need for more TNG DW stories.
Old January 2 2014, 02:55 AM   #11
Christopher
Writer

Corran Horn wrote: View Post
There are production reasons that was the case, as I suspect you know.
Of course I know that, but regardless of the real-world reasons, the fact that exists in-universe is that there's no evidence of Sovereign-class ships participating in Dominion War battles. Therefore there is no canonical basis for concluding that they are powerful warships.

Old January 2 2014, 03:40 AM   #12
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral

Therefore there is no canonical basis for concluding that they are powerful warships.
Quote from Geordi in First Contact: "The Enterprise-E is the most advanced starship in the fleet. We should be on the front line."
Old January 2 2014, 03:47 AM   #13
Christopher
Writer

But "advanced starship" does not mean "powerful warship." Yes, that advancement would've made them useful on the front lines, but it does not prove that they would've been better at it than any other ship. Starfleet ships are designed for far more functions than war. Starfleet's mission is to prevent war.

And I still say Geordi was wrong. Whatever the abilities of the ship, Picard would've been wasted on the front lines. He's a diplomat first, and you can't come out ahead in a war without good diplomats. It's a foolish mistake to assume that winning a war is only about weapons and bloodshed.

Old January 2 2014, 03:50 AM   #14
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral

But "advanced starship" does not mean "powerful warship." Yes, that advancement would've made them useful on the front lines, but it does not prove that they would've been better at it than any other ship.
Geordi seemed to think so. I'd consider him the authority.
Old January 2 2014, 04:37 AM   #15
Nob Akimoto
Captain

View Nob Akimoto's Twitter Profile

Well the only real canonical information we have on the ship's capability is really its design/construction, and we see that the thing is quite literally bristling with weapons emplacements in a way that no other ship really has been. Even prior to Nemesis the Enterprise-E had a LOT of phaser arrays and visible torpedo launchers. The Nemesis edition also had some absurd number of launchers and phaser arrays. Presumably the ship is extremely heavily armed.

That said, they're likely not all that common, and perhaps powerful enough to serve in detached roles, hence the Enterprise herself is off putting out brush fires and such and not actively fighting.
Nob Akimoto is offline   Reply With Quote