Insight Editions Announces Three Trek Books For 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old December 17 2013, 10:52 AM   #16
Pingfah
Admiral

Re: Judge Dredd 2012 movie.

Dredd is becoming a serious cult hit, and deservedly so. I would not be at all surprised to see a similarly budgeted sequel.

They actually just reran it at my local arts center, and got Jock, one of the 2000AD illustrators and the conceptual artist for the movie in to give a talk, it was a big hit.
Old December 17 2013, 12:22 PM   #17
Tosk
Rear Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
So either the filmmakers made a big mistake, or the character did.
Ma-Ma is shown to not always be a cautious forward thinker. Not to mention, some people work for her under fear of death...maybe the guy who installed it never even bothered to connect it.
Tosk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 17 2013, 02:34 PM   #18
Christopher
Writer

Tosk wrote: View Post
Ma-Ma is shown to not always be a cautious forward thinker. Not to mention, some people work for her under fear of death...maybe the guy who installed it never even bothered to connect it.
Even if that's true in-universe, it's still a lazy copout by the writers, a way to cheat by giving Dredd an easy out that was supposed to be impossible under the circumstances. I don't want the existing ending rationalized or handwaved, I want a better ending. If the story requires you to make excuses for it, then it's not a good enough story.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17 2013, 04:20 PM   #19
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Even if that's true in-universe, it's still a lazy copout by the writers, a way to cheat by giving Dredd an easy out that was supposed to be impossible under the circumstances. I don't want the existing ending rationalized or handwaved, I want a better ending. If the story requires you to make excuses for it, then it's not a good enough story.
Very true, Chris.

I do hope a cult-following can ignite a sequel. Maybe this time Dredd and Anderson can be stuck in airport that's being taken hostage on Christmas Eve!

After reading some things it seems that maybe the factor that hurt the movie the most was the 3D aspect and showings apparently pushing that version more than the 2D version.
Old December 17 2013, 04:41 PM   #20
DWF
Vice Admiral

Tosk wrote: View Post
It was a 3D movie with plenty of 3D tricks in it and I didn't realize it til I saw Ma-Ma fall into the camera that it was a trick. It's really not that good oa movie IMO.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17 2013, 04:49 PM   #21
Starkers
Admiral

The 3D was one element of it, though at least it had decent 3D (and I say that as someone who is very anti 3D) but it wasn't the only reason. The R/18 rating, the lack of advertising etc all combined I think.

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 17 2013, 04:57 PM   #22
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
I liked Dredd, though I have to admit that I liked it even more the first time around when it was called The Raid.
They were written and went into pre-production at more or less the same time, AFAIK. The Raid beat Dredd to the punch and thus the latter was accused of copying it but it was just bad/coincidental timing.
Old December 17 2013, 05:10 PM   #23
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

I never saw the Stallone version, but I really liked Dredd.
Old December 17 2013, 05:29 PM   #24
Christopher
Writer

I've seen it suggested that one thing that hurt this movie was the perception that it was a remake of the Stallone movie, rather than a completely separate and far more faithful adaptation of the original comic. Which may be part of why its title was changed to just Dredd, though if so, the change didn't help much.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17 2013, 05:29 PM   #25
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

I loved this movie and thought Urban made a damn fine Dredd. I would love to see them make a sequel.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17 2013, 06:02 PM   #26
DWF
Vice Admiral

Starkers wrote: View Post
The 3D was one element of it, though at least it had decent 3D (and I say that as someone who is very anti 3D) but it wasn't the only reason. The R/18 rating, the lack of advertising etc all combined I think.
For the scene where Ma-ma had to be killed by dropping her some 200 feet into the camera it was purely a 3D trick.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17 2013, 06:20 PM   #27
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Are DVD sales and other ancillary avenues keeping even just a hint of hope alive for a sequel? This article sure spins it that way.

...... But then it got to DVD, Blu-ray and streaming services. And whilst there's not been a massive about turn in the film's fortunes, there's been enough to make at least one or two people sit up and take notice. That, in turn, has lit a flickering flame of hope for a Dredd 2. In the US, Dredd has done around $10m in disc sales so far, and in the UK, the film has constantly stuck around the top 100 discs at Amazon. Today marks its 272nd day in the Amazon top 100, and the discs keep selling.

Now, just to ground things a little. Dredd isn't going to and hasn't made anyone rich. Yet with continued home interest in the film, there remains the possibility that a sequel could yet press ahead. Yep, it's a really, really long shot. .......
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17 2013, 06:33 PM   #28
Harvey
Admiral

Seems like a really, really, really long shot to me.

I still haven't gotten around to seeing this, but now that it's on Netflix, I probably will at some point.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17 2013, 09:30 PM   #29
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)

I enjoyed enough to buy it and plan to watch again over my upcoming break. Wouldn't mind a sequel.
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17 2013, 09:37 PM   #30
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

I saw the Stallone version back and enjoyed it, but it's not "great" by any means.

The new movie is a lot better, got the DVD and wouldn't mind there being a sequel, however unlikely it is.