Takei Museum Fundraiser In Progress
By: T'Bonz on Mar 25

Star Trek 3 Villain?
By: T'Bonz on Mar 25

Montgomery Comic Book Signing
By: T'Bonz on Mar 24

Mulgrew To Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Mar 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Productions

Fan Productions Creating our own Trek canon!

Old March 3 2015, 08:11 PM   #1
S'kai
Captain

Star Trek: Anthology

A new production in the works. Kickstarter here:

Edit by moderator: Kickstarter link removed per forum policy.

Last edited by GSchnitzer; March 3 2015 at 08:31 PM. Reason: No soliciting per board rules, please.
S'kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2015, 06:33 PM   #2
Bixby
Commander

Re: Star Trek: Anthology

Good luck to Jim Bray and his crew. I guess the central location for this group is not near New York state, Oklahoma or Georgia, since they plan on building their own bridge (though on their website they do have some raw footage already with their characters on a bridge set, they might have used one of the existing sets).

Personally I never much cared for Gary Seven and Roberta Lincoln, as I feel any fondness for these characters lies for the most part on Teri Garr's personal appeal, but they'll need solid actors who can recreate their chemistry for this revival to work, more than the ''plot of the week''.

For the USS Challenger proposed series, they might need to change their first officer's name, their commander Taggert's name sounds too similar to Starship Farragut's commander Tacket.

Overall, there might just not be enough actors who visually stand out from the rest of the group, like Cutty and B'Fuselek stood in sharp contrast to Exeter's Garrovick and Harris. For example, the 4 women pictured are all dark-haired, while the 11 men all seem to be middle-aged and over apart from the Vulcan and the transporter chief. Excluding the aliens, they also all have very whitebread-sounding names apart from the lone hispanic. It's allowed to have characters of very foreign origins who completely lack an outrageous accent, by the way.

More variety across the board would be great!.

In the group photo there are quite a lot of redshirts, funnily enough!

I guess the video presented on their website is all test footage, however the lighting is way too harsh, and the FX is ok but could be more sophisticated if you want to be favourably compared to fellow productions.

This might be the first series to actively cross-over with other productions, from what I gather on their cast and spaceship pages. It looks like they have the option or the willingness to guest star characters and actors from other productions, which could be intriguing.

Looking forward to the first upload!

Last edited by Bixby; March 4 2015 at 11:37 PM.
Bixby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2015, 07:33 PM   #3
USS Intrepid
Commodore

Good luck to all concerned. Here's hoping for a successful fundraiser.
Old March 4 2015, 11:22 PM   #4
Maurice
Vice Admiral

View Maurice's Twitter Profile

I wish them luck. I do think they need to revisit/redo their pitch video however.

From the POV of a potential backer, the pitch video's first 30 seconds is hard to understand due to the distortion effect, and the sound quality on the narrative pitch is poor, so it doesn't inspire a lot of confidence in the technical skills of the filmmakers. Bad sound is a big turnoff, something everyone doing stuff like this really needs to understand.
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2015, 11:57 PM   #5
urbandefault
Fleet Captain

Bixby wrote: View Post
Good luck to Jim Bray and his crew. I guess the central location for this group is not near New York state, Oklahoma or Georgia, since they plan on building their own bridge (though on their website they do have some raw footage already with their characters on a bridge set, they might have used one of the existing sets).
I must have missed that part, but he said that they'd be shooting at Retro Film Studios (Cawley's House). The set pics were, I presume, shot on the NVP2 sets.
Old March 5 2015, 12:54 AM   #6
Bixby
Commander

urbandefault wrote: View Post
I must have missed that part, but he said that they'd be shooting at Retro Film Studios (Cawley's House). The set pics were, I presume, shot on the NVP2 sets.
Sorry for the confusion. The bridge set they wish to build is for their ''Mother'' series, and not for their main ''CHALLENGER'' serial which as you say will probably continue to be filmed at Retro studios.

Jim Bray & Kickstarter wrote:
"STRETCH GOALS".
1ST STRETCH: $8500.00 - Would allow us the funds we need to build a basic (small, cramped) bridge set for our installment of "MOTHER".
Old March 5 2015, 06:35 AM   #7
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

This might be the first series to actively cross-over with other productions, from what I gather on their cast and spaceship pages.
Actually, to date, characters from Star Trek: Valkyrie and Starship Farragut, cast members from Star Trek: Reliant and Star Trek: New Voyages have appeared in two episodes of Project: Potemkin: "Closing Time" which is available on YouTube, and "Ladies Night Out" which will be premiered at Treklanta/Trek Trax Atlanta where it was filmed during last year's convention. The same is true of "Room Service" which will be filmed during this year's convention.
http://www.projectpotemkin.com
Potemkin_Prod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2015, 09:09 AM   #8
USS Intrepid
Commodore

Not to mention, Hidden Frontier and Intrepid have already had several character crossovers dating back to 2007. And New Voyages/Phase 2 and Farragut, and more recently Farragut and Continues.
Old March 5 2015, 09:33 AM   #9
martok2112
Captain

Ambitious.

It is amazing the tech available to, and the drive engendered by fanfilm makers of late.
Old March 5 2015, 12:03 PM   #10
Bixby
Commander

USS Intrepid wrote: View Post
Not to mention, Hidden Frontier and Intrepid have already had several character crossovers dating back to 2007. And New Voyages/Phase 2 and Farragut, and more recently Farragut and Continues.
These last two mentioned above (Cawley's Kirk & Mignona\Kirk appearing on Farragut) are cameos more than anything. I guess I should have written it as guest-star where the visiting actor actually impacts upon the story.
Paul Sieber's Prescott appearing on several episodes of Phase 2 would qualify as a crossover of sorts, being a ''personnel transfer''. But that was still a glorified cameo.
Thanks for the other mentions from yourself and Potemkin, I'll be sure to check them out.
Old March 5 2015, 01:02 PM   #11
USS Intrepid
Commodore

Starship Valiant are currently working on a team up with another group.

Hidden Frontier and Intrepid have cooperated on two team ups to date, and that's not including cameos, but I probably shouldn't derail the thread any further talking about that.
Old March 5 2015, 02:26 PM   #12
JimTheBuilder
Lieutenant Commander

Send a message via Yahoo to JimTheBuilder

I'll attempt to answer a few questions...

From our test footage, we were able to determine that yes, we are able to do this. Looking at it, we realized a number of things:

1) The lighting would need to be adjusted.

2) We need better/more sound equipment.

3) We need to have our own uniforms. (The reason we had so many Redshirts was that we borrowed from JC's wardrobe...and that was pretty much what was made available to us, thus, our KICKSTARTER.)

4) We continue to look for a more diverse cast, ethnically. I had an Asian actress set to play Nurse Cho, but she was struck by a car while crossing a street...she is on the mend. The other hurdle is that this is cast in Vermont, where our population is primarily Caucasian..."people of color" are harder to find here...at least folks who are willing to come aboard.

The name "Taggert" is drawn from "John Quincey Taggert" from Galaxy Quest. There are a number of references to other sci-fi films and shows in the form of Easter Eggs that are peppered throughout our show...i.e. Captain Colt is in her quarters unpacking and she places a book on her shelf...a replica of the book from the Twilight Zone episode, "To Serve Man". These Easter Eggs are also in the form of dialogue or little situations that build to a clever "Ah-Ha!" kind of punchline.

What we are REALLY about is getting back to what Roddenberry intended; people in moral dilemmas and how they go about solving them...and what effect does that have on the bigger picture. We want to tell good stories...and we want to evolve. Several REALLY well-considered stories have been written, and we are really champing at the bit to get them told. We are aware of our mistakes during test shooting. Rest assured, these will be addressed in April.

Remember, when you're working on a shoestring, you're bound to trip on it a few times...

"He's dead Jim. You get his phaser, I'll get his wallet."
JimTheBuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2015, 08:18 PM   #13
mos6507
Captain

I guess I'm not alone in wanting to know logistics, like where they intended to shoot things. Information like that is hard to come by on any of this project's online pages, but it would be pretty high on the list of info to present in a kickstarter so we can know what the budgetary needs are. I do like the idea of using Gary Seven as a jumping-off-point to an anthology, though.
Old March 6 2015, 03:19 AM   #14
JimTheBuilder
Lieutenant Commander

Send a message via Yahoo to JimTheBuilder

mos6507 wrote: View Post
I guess I'm not alone in wanting to know logistics, like where they intended to shoot things. Information like that is hard to come by on any of this project's online pages, but it would be pretty high on the list of info to present in a kickstarter so we can know what the budgetary needs are. I do like the idea of using Gary Seven as a jumping-off-point to an anthology, though.
We are shooting primarily at RETRO STUDIOS...but beyond our coming and going, this production has nothing to do with James Cawley's production. He's been kind enough to let us borrow things...that's about it...and honestly...that's how we like it. The more independent we can be, the better.

"He's dead Jim. You get his phaser, I'll get his wallet."
JimTheBuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2015, 07:01 AM   #15
Barbreader
Fleet Captain

View Barbreader's Twitter Profile

Before wondering where a fan film is, I encourage you to either find their listing at Star Trek Reviewed or go to the Fan Film Production Map, either here: http://startrekreviewed.blogspot.com/2009/06/4.html or on Google Maps: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...4&source=embed .

In this case, you look at the listing on the right, find "Anthology" (I do not index under "Star Trek") and click on it. The map will highlight the marker of where the film is being made.
Barbreader is offline   Reply With Quote