Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old December 16 2013, 12:10 AM   #1
JD
Admiral

Paul Dini: Superhero Cartoon Producers don't want girl viewers

I just found this article over on IO9. It's kind of sad really. I think what's sad is if they just marketed the toys to girls they would buy them just the same as the boys. Sure, most girls probably don't buy the same toys as boys, so I don't see why they don't just make toys for girls.
Or even better they could just try marketing the existing toys to both sexes. I work in the Toys department in Wal-Mart, and I've overheard girls talking about things like Avengers just as excitedly as the boys do. I've seen girls getting excited about Iron Man toys, and even a couple who was buying their young daughter Matchbox cars. So obviously there girls who are interested in this stuff, and if they just spread the marketing out from just boys, I'm pretty sure they could get even more girls interested.
The only reason there are "girls toys" and "boys toys" is because adults think there should be. I honestly think if they just let the kids decide for themselves what they want to buy, then we'd probably see plenty of crossover between the different types of toys.
Old December 16 2013, 12:29 AM   #2
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Re: Paul Dini: Superhero Cartoon Producers don't want girl viewers

But girls can still decide if they want a Barbie or Iron Man. Don't underestimate kids, as they do decide what they want.

I don't know how a comercial for an Iron Man toy for girls would be different though.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16 2013, 12:33 AM   #3
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

I have friends who have a three-year old girl. If she were to choose between Batman and My Little Pony, she'd go straight for Batman. Hell, I don't know if this is true or not, but they claim that her first word, before "Mommy" or "Daddy", was "Batman".
Old December 16 2013, 12:35 AM   #4
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

^No surprise since MLP is aimed at adult men.
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16 2013, 12:47 AM   #5
Christopher
Writer

I gather that lots of girls like to play with "boy" toys -- or rather, with action toys, building toys, and the like. The problem is that the industry's definition of "girls' toys" is too narrow.

Although that might be starting to change. I see that Nerf has begun making a line of bow-and-arrow and crossbow action toys for girls called Rebelle -- no doubt inspired by The Hunger Games. And there's a company called GoldieBlox making construction toys aimed at girls (they had a neat viral video online for a while, using a version of a Beastie Boys song with new lyrics protesting the lack of variety in toys aimed at girls, but apparently it's been pulled because that band has forbidden their songs to be used in advertising.)

And of course, if the executives had any sense, they'd realize that of course girls aren't going to buy toys based on their shows if the shows are specifically designed to alienate girls. It's a self-fulfilling prejudice. And the CN execs' narrow views of what they want their target audience to be explains why their programming has become so limited, why they've stopped making most of their best, smartest shows.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 16 2013, 12:51 AM   #6
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Which is so unfair. I would like to have a NERF bow and arrow, if it wasn't PINK! But I have the NERF minigun, so I got that going for me, which is nice.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16 2013, 01:31 AM   #7
JD
Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
I gather that lots of girls like to play with "boy" toys -- or rather, with action toys, building toys, and the like. The problem is that the industry's definition of "girls' toys" is too narrow.

Although that might be starting to change. I see that Nerf has begun making a line of bow-and-arrow and crossbow action toys for girls called Rebelle -- no doubt inspired by The Hunger Games. And there's a company called GoldieBlox making construction toys aimed at girls (they had a neat viral video online for a while, using a version of a Beastie Boys song with new lyrics protesting the lack of variety in toys aimed at girls, but apparently it's been pulled because that band has forbidden their songs to be used in advertising.)

And of course, if the executives had any sense, they'd realize that of course girls aren't going to buy toys based on their shows if the shows are specifically designed to alienate girls. It's a self-fulfilling prejudice. And the CN execs' narrow views of what they want their target audience to be explains why their programming has become so limited, why they've stopped making most of their best, smartest shows.
The Rebelle stuff is apparently doing pretty well. I've had a ton of people looking for it over the last couple of weeks.
I definitely agree with you about CN, and I'm starting to get the feeling that they're becoming more concerned with selling the merchandise for their shows, than whether the shows anybody actually likes or watches the shows. I don't see why they would want to alienate girls anyways, I would think they would just want as many people as possible to watch their shows/buy their toys regardless of their gender.
Old December 16 2013, 02:21 AM   #8
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

^The funding formula for CN action shows relies on toy merchandise. It's what killed YJ, Green Lantern and I believe the new Batman. The problem is compounded by the fact that DC/WB signed with Mattel, one of the worst toy companies, to create their toyline. Their Batman toyline in the 90s was just constant mold recycling.

It doesn't help that the CEO of CN wants to populate the chhannel with cheap comedy shows and cheap live action programming.
Old December 16 2013, 02:50 AM   #9
Unicron
Continuity Spackle

Send a message via ICQ to Unicron

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
But girls can still decide if they want a Barbie or Iron Man. Don't underestimate kids, as they do decide what they want.

I don't know how a comercial for an Iron Man toy for girls would be different though.
Besides, sooner or later Barbie will have her own copy of the Iron Man armor. She gets all the cool stuff.

"My dream is to eat candy and poop emeralds. I'm halfway successful."

Catbert, Evil Director of Human Resources
Unicron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16 2013, 03:24 AM   #10
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain

Unwrapped wrote: View Post
JarodRussell wrote: View Post

Besides, sooner or later Barbie will have her own copy of the Iron Man armor. She gets all the cool stuff.
Then why did (and can't) Mattel not make a Barbie doll version of Pepper Potts as Rescue, complete with armor that can be taken off? This is just going to piss off the feminist blogsphere more than it already has this year (especially over the words said by one prominent comic book artist/creator/writer at a major science fiction convention recently.)
Shaka Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16 2013, 03:42 AM   #11
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

View Ancient Mariner's Twitter Profile

My 7-year-old daughter loves MLP and Transformers Prime (especially Beast Hunters). It has provided me with much amusement watching her put a Rainbow Dash figurine on Bumblebee for an adventure.

So yeah, at least some girls will buy the toys. If their parents allow them (and thinking about it, parental prejudice is probably more of the issue than whether or not girls are interested in the show and the toys).
Old December 16 2013, 03:57 AM   #12
Unicron
Continuity Spackle

Send a message via ICQ to Unicron

Honestly, I wouldn't mind seeing more "female" Transformers personally, even though gender is always a weird thing when referring to alien robots. Just because boys might seem like the primary market doesn't mean girls shouldn't be able to enjoy them.

"My dream is to eat candy and poop emeralds. I'm halfway successful."

Catbert, Evil Director of Human Resources
Unicron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16 2013, 04:03 AM   #13
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

There is like possibly five lined up for the generations line (Wingblade, her female remold, Minerva, Arcee and Chromia) and the club has transmutate.
Old December 16 2013, 04:08 AM   #14
Christopher
Writer

Unwrapped wrote: View Post
Honestly, I wouldn't mind seeing more "female" Transformers personally, even though gender is always a weird thing when referring to alien robots.
Well, if you think about it, making robots female is no weirder than making them male.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 16 2013, 04:31 AM   #15
DEWLine
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to DEWLine Send a message via Yahoo to DEWLine

I've seen Pepper-as-Rescue toys at Shoppers Drug Mart, bundled with other Iron Man stuff. And there was that Lego package, "Malibu Mansion Attack" where Pepper was depicted as suited-up on the box...?

But that doesn't fully address the main point of this thread, does it?

Dwight Williams
Illustrator/Writer
DEWLine is offline   Reply With Quote