Pegg Co-writing Star Trek 3
By: T'Bonz on Jan 22

Stewart Narrated NASA Documentary
By: T'Bonz on Jan 21

Star Trek 3 Filming To Begin
By: T'Bonz on Jan 21

IDW Publishing Trek Comics For April 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jan 20

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy All your nerd stuff goes here.

Old January 17 2014, 12:25 PM   #91
Pingfah
Admiral

Re: The X-Files - First Time Watching

The show just gets better and better. It doesn't even hint at a decline until they are into Season 6, and even then there's lots of great episodes going forward.
Old January 17 2014, 03:56 PM   #92
selina
Fleet Captain

Robbiesan wrote: View Post
Yes. That scene with the cannister. blew me away. I didn't think they come right out and use that kind of visual until far later. It made me excited as to where the series would go from there.

The whole point of Scully's character was that she was originally designed to be the voice of reason, science, skepticism and potential love-interest all roled into one. After the cannister scene, I thought..."OK, what now regarding skepticism???"

It's true that Scully with her skepticism and constant need for scientific proof was Mulder's - the believer - counterpart. This way the audience could relate to the one world view or the other. And while it's also true that Gillian Anderson and David Duchovny have a strong chemestry, series creator Chris Carter was very much against a romantic relationship between those two characters. Scully was never meant to be a love interest for Mulder. Carter had a platonic relationship for them in mind.
"Putting them together would have been the death of their relationship". I remember it vividly, because the whole world wanted them to be together - except for him. However, he - and everyone else involved - really did a terrific job with their relationship.

There's a spoilerfree interview with him on youtube about Mulder's and Scully's relationship.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h14l0RIX9gs&noredirect=1
selina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2014, 05:34 PM   #93
The Laughing Vulcan
Admiral

I actually started rewatching The X-Files late last summer. I kind of space the discs apart so I don't overdose, watch about 4 episodes a week. So far I'm two discs from the end of Season 5, and I have newly purchased Blu-rays of the movies to watch after that. Didn't want to mention any of the episodes I had recently seen for fear of spoilers.

Actually, last autumn, Amazon had a sale on the X-Files, and were shifting boxsets for £10 each. When I bought the first five series back in 2000, I paid close to £100 for them! I didn't get the last four sets as I recall the quality of the series going down towards the end, but at £10 each, it was hard to refuse. So I didn't. I'll be watching seasons 6-9 again for the first time since they were broadcast, before I get to the second movie.

Anime @ MyReviewer
The Laughing Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2014, 05:59 PM   #94
sjsharksfan39
Admiral

View sjsharksfan39's Twitter Profile

The movies are going to be somewhat difficult to get. I have actually seen the first movie, but I haven't seen the second and I don't know if either is streaming any place or not. Also, when should I watch the movies. I'm assuming since the first came out in 1998, I should watch up to Season 6 and then see the movie. As for the second, does that take place after the series ends?

I still have a way to go yet as I only just started season 2, but I have been thinking about the movies recently.
Old January 17 2014, 06:29 PM   #95
The Laughing Vulcan
Admiral

Fight the Future is set after season 5 and for me is the peak of the conspiracy arc (although that might change after I rewatch S6). The second film is a stand alone, a feature length X-File and it's set well after season 9.

Anime @ MyReviewer
Old January 23 2014, 07:23 AM   #96
sjsharksfan39
Admiral

Is X-Files supposed to gross me out sometimes? I ask because tonight I got back into it and watched "The Host" and while it was Nasty, especially the Shower scene, it didn't really "gross" me out that much. Actually, seeing the little worm go back into the sewer system was kind of cool.

Also, Episode 2 of Season 1 we met Deep Throat. Episode 2 of Season 2 we met this anonymous guy I will call Deep Throat II. Am I sensing a pattern?
Old January 23 2014, 07:55 AM   #97
sojourner
Admiral

Not grossed out yet? To quote Yoda, "You will be, you will be."
Old January 23 2014, 02:12 PM   #98
The Laughing Vulcan
Admiral

SJSharksfan39 wrote: View Post
Is X-Files supposed to gross me out sometimes? I ask because tonight I got back into it and watched "The Host" and while it was Nasty, especially the Shower scene, it didn't really "gross" me out that much. Actually, seeing the little worm go back into the sewer system was kind of cool.

Also, Episode 2 of Season 1 we met Deep Throat. Episode 2 of Season 2 we met this anonymous guy I will call Deep Throat II. Am I sensing a pattern?
Wait till you get to the season 4 episode, Home.

Anime @ MyReviewer
Old January 24 2014, 06:26 PM   #99
selina
Fleet Captain

^ Yeah, that was definitely the grossest one, at least for me.

An interesting detail about "The Host" is, that the giant worm was portrayed by Darin Morgan, who also wrote a few X-Files episodes and made another guest appearance in the episode "Small Potatoes" (Season 4).
Old January 24 2014, 06:45 PM   #100
Forbin
Admiral

The wife and I just watch Home a few weeks ago.
Yeah. Yikes.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2014, 10:44 PM   #101
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile

selina wrote: View Post
Robbiesan wrote: View Post
Yes. That scene with the cannister. blew me away. I didn't think they come right out and use that kind of visual until far later. It made me excited as to where the series would go from there.

The whole point of Scully's character was that she was originally designed to be the voice of reason, science, skepticism and potential love-interest all roled into one. After the cannister scene, I thought..."OK, what now regarding skepticism???"
"Putting them together would have been the death of their relationship". I remember it vividly, because the whole world wanted them to be together - except for him.
Well, not the whole world. In fact, the "No Romo" contingent was quite vocal in it's disdain as the "Romos", or as they later became known, "'shippers", began to build momentum in the early days of the internet. The scales may have been tipped finally in favor of the shippers, but that didn't happen until the show was nearing the end of the Mulder-Scully era.

Last edited by gblews; January 25 2014 at 01:25 AM.
gblews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2014, 01:22 AM   #102
selina
Fleet Captain

Yes, that's true. I was not very accurate with that statement.

Since the thread starter SJSharksfan39 hasn't seen the episodes yet, maybe you could put spoiler tags around this information? I know, accordings to board rules, you don't have to, but I think it would be nice to do it anyway .
Old January 25 2014, 01:24 AM   #103
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile

selina wrote: View Post
Yes, that's true. I was not very accurate with that statement.

Since the thread starter SJSharksfan39 hasn't seen the episodes yet, maybe you could put spoiler tags around this information? I know, accordings to board rules, you don't have to, but I think it would be nice to do it anyway .
No spoilers. My post concerned only what the fans wanted and didn't want.
gblews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2014, 08:44 AM   #104
sjsharksfan39
Admiral

Watched Sleepless tonight and while not the best episode (It was OK, even though I thought Tony Todd whispered way too much), I was intregued by the ending, revealing that Alex Krycek was actually against Mulder. In hindsight, that seems way too obvious, but the way that reveal happened (Talking about separating Mulder and Scully only strengthened their resolve) was really well done.

So I guess Deep Throat II is actually Mr. X. Wish they would give names to some of these characters. Nice to see him so soon after we were first introduced. I thought it would be several episodes before we revisit that plot line.
Old January 25 2014, 08:58 AM   #105
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

Pingfah wrote: View Post
The show just gets better and better.
I couldn't disagree more. For me it was all downhill after a mostly solid first season.