Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Retro Review: Covenant
By: Michelle on Nov 22

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old December 18 2013, 12:57 AM   #31
JT Perfecthair
Lieutenant

Re: The X-Files - First Time Watching

Without any unresolved interest these days in the Mulder/Scully issues to make me resent the arrival of the later FBI agents (as I did at the time), I now find that many of later Robert Patrick episodes were actually really good.
JT Perfecthair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2013, 07:54 AM   #32
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

Shadows

Much better than the previous episode, but not as good as the first four. Really liked the music used in this one, and Howard Graves was creepy. I was hoping for a resolution a little more "supernatural" than what we got given everything that came before, but it was just ok. Did like the ending scene with Lauren settling into her new job and the coffee shaking.
Old December 18 2013, 04:14 PM   #33
selina
Fleet Captain

I suppose it always depends a bit on your taste.

Two of my favourite episodes are from season 3 and season 6, "Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose" and "Post Modern Prometheus". The first one is really serious while the second one is one of the brighter episodes. For me it was always one of the advantages of the X-Files that the showrunner tried out different things.

*Off to find a provider where I can stream the X-Files*
selina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2013, 05:32 PM   #34
Forbin
Admiral

SJSharksfan39 wrote: View Post
Shadows

Much better than the previous episode, but not as good as the first four. Really liked the music used in this one...
Mark Snow is an absolute genius. I especially love his moments that are nothing but some pretty little piano riffs. And every once in a while you realize you just heard a 2-3 minute orchestral composition that's as good as any full film score you've ever heard.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2013, 05:34 PM   #35
Forbin
Admiral

Oh, and... watch for the comedic episodes. Some of them are pure gold.
Oooohhh, Doctor Bambi!!
Old December 19 2013, 07:20 AM   #36
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

Ghost in the Machine

X-Files does 2001: A Space Oddessy, specifically Hal. I liked it for the most part. Always liked shows about AI, even though being a Star Trek fan, that's a cliche that's on the same levels as Time Travel. I really did like seeing Deep Throat again though.

Ice

Probably my favorite episode of the season so far. Again, going back to Star Trek, I was reminded of DS9's The Ship, but this one was a whole lot more tense and the music, again, really set the mood well. Also, 8 episodes in and this episode put the partnership of Mulder and Scully to the test and I'd say it brought them closer together. In the early stages of the season, you could already see the chemistry these two characters were starting to form, and I really am excited to see that friendship develop as the series goes on. Also loved the themes tackled here, such as Paranoia, Claustrophobia, and Trust. Also, that was a hell of a teaser, with the two guys killing themselves.
Old December 19 2013, 11:36 AM   #37
RoJoHen
Awesome

"Ice" is a great one. Definitely one of the early gems of the series.
Old December 19 2013, 04:57 PM   #38
Forbin
Admiral

We are not who we are!

(or something like that)
Old December 21 2013, 09:53 AM   #39
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

Spaced

Maybe a fun thing I can do with this series is point out all the Star Trek actors that are in this show, because this episode had two of them, Susanna Thompson and the guy who played the Cadet's father in TNG's "The First Duty" (Who I believe has just passed away).

As for the episode itself, I enjoyed it. Some of the effects were really bad (It almost felt like this episode was filmed on a lower budget than some of the other ones I've seen) but I appreciate the space program and this episode dealt with it in a good but "x-files" way.

Fallen Angel

I keep saying stuff like "X episode is my favorite episode of the season" and it really is amazing that in the first season and first ten episodes, there have been a lot of enjoy. Fallen Angel was one of those episodes, with a great character in Max and more development on the mysterious Deep Throat (Who or whoever they call Jerry Hardin's character). The last ten minutes was some of the most exciting 10 minutes I've seen of X-Files yet, specifically when we see Max being abducted and then the end scene with McGrath and Deep Throat. Also, Mulder's testimony really does get the ball rolling on this series to come. "A Highly classified lie", indeed.
Old December 22 2013, 09:14 AM   #40
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

Eve

Oh man was this episode deliciously creepy. The two twin Girls were creepy, the older Eve was creepy, and once again the music made this episode even more creepy. I always fear an episode where child actors are present (Star Trek did not do this very well at all) but this episode worked so well and after the heavy episode before, this one was back to Mystery of the week that really really worked. You gotta love an episode that deals with genetic enhancements, cloning, and criminally insane patients at a mental ward.
Old December 22 2013, 12:13 PM   #41
selina
Fleet Captain

After reading this thread I wondered if the series was released on blu ray. Since I sold my X-Files videos years ago, it could be a good opportunity to buy it in a high definition. Apparently Fox has made plans:

Our sources say Fox has likely decided to “rebuild” the seasons in high-definition, in much the same way that CBS has done with Star Trek: The Original Series and Star Trek: The Next Generation. Provided all the original camera negative has been properly stored and archived, it’ll presumably be an easier task as the show featured fewer and less elaborate visual effects.
Link to the full article: http://thedigitalbits.com/columns/th...to-blu-in-2013
selina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22 2013, 09:13 PM   #42
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

selina wrote: View Post
After reading this thread I wondered if the series was released on blu ray. Since I sold my X-Files videos years ago, it could be a good opportunity to buy it in a high definition. Apparently Fox has made plans:

Our sources say Fox has likely decided to “rebuild” the seasons in high-definition, in much the same way that CBS has done with Star Trek: The Original Series and Star Trek: The Next Generation. Provided all the original camera negative has been properly stored and archived, it’ll presumably be an easier task as the show featured fewer and less elaborate visual effects.
Link to the full article: http://thedigitalbits.com/columns/th...to-blu-in-2013
I can see an X-Files remastered, and it shouldn't be too hard. I watched the episode about the space program the other day and I was just wondering if that episode would have been more well received with better effects. I watched it plugging in my computer to the HD TV and the picture was rather blurry, like they ran out of money. After reading some reviews and noticing that it wasn't well liked, I still found it enjoyable, but not as much as Fallen Angel (Which had decent effects) or Eve.
Old December 23 2013, 06:21 AM   #43
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

Fire

This episode was kind of lame. There were a lot of just corny scenes, and that ending was weird. So he just burned himself, for what reason? Also, the reuniting of Mulder and his old Flame seemed to be in response to Scully trying to have a life despite working the X-Files cases in a previous episode. I did like Mulder's fear of Fire though, and Anderson does seem to be getting better as an actress. Despite that though, this one was kind of a just ok but not great episode.
Old December 23 2013, 03:17 PM   #44
Forbin
Admiral

I think Gillian is a brilliant actress, because she manages to convince us that she's an intelligent and serious scientist in the series, whereas in real life she's a total dip.
Old December 24 2013, 02:00 AM   #45
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

Forbin wrote: View Post
I think Gillian is a brilliant actress, because she manages to convince us that she's an intelligent and serious scientist in the series, whereas in real life she's a total dip.
I've never heard an interview either with Gillian or David. I know David is a little out there in real life, but I wonder what Gillian is doing these days. She's kind of faded more than David has, but then David was in Californication for a good number of years.