TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old December 15 2013, 06:55 PM   #16
FelizNavidad
Admiral

View FelizNavidad's Twitter Profile
Re: The X-Files - First Time Watching

Just watched "Conduit" (The one about the missing daughter and the kid who takes static and writes binary code from it) and that was probably my favorite episode so far. We get to see a little about why Mulder is obsessed with this stuff, and one thing I've noticed is each episode seems to grow from the last. The first episode you had Scully pretty much calling out Mulders conspiracy theorys, the second episode we meet an insider guy, and the third episode is the rest of the FBI's reaction to the X-Files division. This episode we even meet the boss who is questioning Mulder's personal feelings versus professional judgement.

But the thing I love so far is the mystery. It's not too horrific, and there really is no violence so far, but just the mystery of everything and going along for the ride is really interesting so far.

sjsharksfan39
FelizNavidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16 2013, 08:19 AM   #17
FelizNavidad
Admiral

I think I watched my first X-Files dud, Jersey Devil. I'm not sure if it was a dud persay, but it was just dull, and after four really good gripping episodes, this one seemed below those. Also, I hope never to see Scully's hair like the style she had on that date again. I don't remember 90s Hair looking that "bunned". Yeah I know Janeway had something similar for the first two episodes of Voyager, but Scully's was almost like a beehive on top of her head. The normal look is much more pleasing.

sjsharksfan39
Old December 16 2013, 08:20 AM   #18
RoJoHen
Awesome

"Jersey Devil" is absolutely a dud.
Old December 16 2013, 02:00 PM   #19
Forbin
Admiral

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
"Jersey Devil" is absolutely a dud.
Indeed. Toronto looks nothing like Atlantic City, and the Jersey Devil legend is from the Pine barrens, which aren't Atlantic city.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16 2013, 02:02 PM   #20
Forbin
Admiral

Gillian got pregnant almost as soon as the series started (or was it 2nd season?), so she spends a lot of time early in the show in that awful big bulky trenchcoat, with a pudgy little babyface . Afterwards, she starts looking much hotter.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16 2013, 02:25 PM   #21
RoJoHen
Awesome

^That would be season 2 (and is also the reason for a certain major plot development that I will not mention yet).
Old December 16 2013, 08:22 PM   #22
Naira
Rear Admiral

I was a huge fan as a teenager. I loved that show. I enjoyed more the earlier seasons because I liked the "villain of the week" plots more than the "one long story-arc" ones. I still enjoy watching the occasional episode. Now, I also enjoy the actors of the later seasons which striked me as odd back then.

The one thing that is absolutely awful about the X-files was the second movie.
Old December 16 2013, 08:28 PM   #23
Harvey
Admiral

I still think the second movie was okay. Of all the tales you could tell with the characters after more than half a decade, though, it certainly wasn't ideal.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17 2013, 06:46 AM   #24
FelizNavidad
Admiral

Is X-Files a show that might show it's age in some episodes? I've actually be impressed in some of the effects so far, and appreciate that the show really hasn't utilized special effects as much for a scifi show. Actually I think the only episode where I've really seen some FX was "Squeeze" and I thought it looked rather creepy. I guess I ask because it was the same time TNG was on and people have called TNG dated (I don't agree with that but oh well).

sjsharksfan39
Old December 17 2013, 07:59 AM   #25
sojourner
Admiral

It shows it's age through the day to day things, the cellphones, very little internet, the cars, etc.
Old December 17 2013, 02:50 PM   #26
The Laughing Vulcan
Admiral

The X Files wouldn't have worked ten years ago. It would have been over instantly as soon as Mulder got the evidence he needed on his camera-phone.

It would work today, as everyone would accuse him of photoshopping the images and demand actual proof instead of just images.

Anime @ MyReviewer
The Laughing Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17 2013, 03:08 PM   #27
Pingfah
Admiral

I think you underestimate how long Photoshop has been around... I started using it in 1995, and it was already onto PS4 by then. It was ubiquitous in the publishing industry long before camera phones were commonplace.
Old December 17 2013, 03:16 PM   #28
The Laughing Vulcan
Admiral

Pingfah wrote: View Post
I think you underestimate how long Photoshop has been around... I started using it in 1995, and it was already onto PS4 by then. It was ubiquitous in the publishing industry long before camera phones were commonplace.
It's ubiquity I'm thinking of. The first cameraphones were around during Season 9 of the X-Files, probably even before, but not everyone had them. Same with Photoshop, it's only in the last six or seven years that the idea of photo manipulation for the masses has truly become accepted, and more importantly, the average Joe really started using it.

EDIT: It's a question of how long the word 'shopped has been in common use as a verb for manipulated images.

Anime @ MyReviewer
The Laughing Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17 2013, 04:14 PM   #29
BigKrampus
Rear Admiral

SJSharksfan39 wrote: View Post
Still, is the show as great and creative as I've heard . . .
I remember having X-Files parties back in the day: not queuing it up on Netflix, but actually sitting down with friends to watch scheduled broadcasts of episodes. Ahhh, it was a simpler time...

It is a genuinely great show and worth sticking with. It's also one of the first shows to attempt -- something that isn't apparent in the early seasons -- a major overarching story arc. Some of the episodes in that arc are classics, but I might be wary of getting too invested in the arc itself, because, well:

Old December 17 2013, 08:44 PM   #30
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

It's one of my favorite shows. I really love anything to do with Mulder and Scully. I did a review thread for most of the show here during my rewatch a few years ago. There were several episodes I hadn't seen at the time. Seasons 1-6 are phenomenal, and there are some really great episodes in every season after that. There are duds like every show, but the good far outweighs the bad.