CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old August 4 2014, 02:29 PM   #271
VST
Lieutenant Commander

Re: The X-Files - First Time Watching

SJSharksfan39 wrote: View Post
Brand X

There have been many creepy and disturbing episodes of this series, Home probably being the most memorable. Brand X might be the most disgusting episode I've seen this series do. All he beetles coming out of the mouth, the disfigured jaws, and the make up work to show how bad smoking is for you was really nasty. This episode should be used as a PSA of tobacco usage.

One thing I did find interesting was the start of the project was intended to make smoking healthier for you, yet now in 2014 we have these E Cigs. X files beig ahead of its time for this episode, which I liked better than All Things.
Always liked this one. A very creepy Tobin Bell performance & it's got some great Mark Snow music.
VST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2014, 02:36 PM   #272
RoJoHen
Awesome

Marsden wrote: View Post
A hologram killed people? How can a hologram cut off somebody's hands? Ugh. Maybe I just missed it somewhere.
The safety protocols were offline. Obviously.
Old August 4 2014, 03:02 PM   #273
Spocktoberfest
Captain

I thought it was X-Files and not TNG. My mistake.
Old August 4 2014, 03:19 PM   #274
RoJoHen
Awesome

I think the rules are the same for all 90s sci-fi.
Old August 5 2014, 11:43 PM   #275
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

Fight Club

Remember the other day I was struggling to come up with an episode of this series I truly hated, and tried to defend First Person Shooter? Well there is an episode I absolutely hate and it was called Fight Club.

For those not familiar, this is the episode that featured Kathy Griffen in a duel role. I haven't hidden the fact that my favorite series right now is Orphan Black and I believe Tatiana Maslany is the best Actress working today. Well, she is also setting the standard of his type of acting, the clone or identical twin motif, that seems to come up in the sci if genre. One of my favorite episodes of Voyager featured Kate Mulgrew in the identical acting against yourself role, which I also like.

Watching Fight club, all I can think was how bad it was to cast Griffen in that kind of role. She is awful and this episode was Garbage. Yeah I know at the time Maslany was 15, but I still think she would have acted circles around Griffen. As for the plot, ugh...

I did enjoy Hollywood AD (probably the funniest episode of the series) and Je Souhaite (really warm and genuine, with a great actress ast the Genie). Looking forward to Requiem, which according to the plot references the first episode quite a bit.
Old August 6 2014, 06:28 AM   #276
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

Requiem/Within/Without

Welcome to the John Doggett Era of the show everyone. As the beginning of the Enterprise theme says, "It's been a long road", but Dechovney is only on the show for half of Season 8, and we meet T-1000, aka Robert Patrick as Scully's new partner.

Going back to the season 7 finale, that was a hell of a finale. In fact, these three episodes is probably the best three episode sequence since Anazasi/The Blessing Way/Paper Clip, which I think were the three best Mythology episodes of the series. Requiem goes back to the first case, dealing with the alien abductees in Oregon and ends with two bombshells, Mulder is taken and Scully is pregnant. I really hope they explain Scully's pregnancy as Season 8 goes on, because there's part of it that makes me question the whole Barren thing.

As for the start of Season 8, great introduction of Doggett. Maybe since the series has been off for so long, I'm looking at these episodes from the point of view of I knew it was coming so I kind of accepted it when I started this watch. I also really liked Scully, who really kicked a ton of ass in this episode, here. We also saw the return of Gibson Praise, the wiz kid from Season 5/6, and that was a welcome return. As for Mulder, we see him being tested on by a whole lot of the Alien Bounty Hunters. I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes, and to getting to know Doggett more as the season goes on.

A lot of people have said that the later seasons of the show aren't that good. Well, I'm in season 8 now and going by the first two episodes, I'd say the season is off to a strong start. I also like the new title sequence, which feels like an extension of the old title sequence.
Old August 6 2014, 11:52 AM   #277
The Laughing Vulcan
Admiral

and Je Souhaite

For me, this was the worst episode of the X Files... ever!
The premise just didn't belong. The only, only way it could have been worse, if they'd cast Barbara Eden! They should have cast Barbara Eden. That would have truly nuked the shark, jumped the fridge!

Anime @ MyReviewer
The Laughing Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2014, 12:29 PM   #278
VST
Lieutenant Commander

I love Je Souhaite! It's probably the last truly sweet comedy episode TXF ever really did. Bonkers, of course, but lots of fun.

As to S8, I'm very much an advocate. At the time all us Philies struggled to accept Doggett over Mulder but in retrospect, he's a really good character & S8 gets back to what TXF very much was in its early years - quite remote, dark & creepy storytelling, before then giving way to a great mythology run to the finish. It's among the show's better seasons IMO.

Shame then about S9, but still...
Old August 6 2014, 03:34 PM   #279
RoJoHen
Awesome

A lot of people have said that the later seasons of the show aren't that good. Well, I'm in season 8 now and going by the first two episodes, I'd say the season is off to a strong start.
I love Season 8, especially these early episodes that you just watched.
Old August 6 2014, 08:18 PM   #280
Spocktoberfest
Captain

Fight Club was that other episode with FPS I mentioned.
Not good.

I loved the episode with the Janaya, that was great! It had everything.

I think Dogget is great. I would have like him to be able to stick around even longer, but it's hard to do when your show is cancelled.

It depends on what you want out of X-Files. Do you want a story about agents that investigate unsolved cases that involve strange elements or do you want to see the Mulder and Scully show? I think a lot of people tuned in for the first thing and loved the characters so much it turned into the second thing. That's not a bad thing, but then having a new guy come in changes things. So, I understand some complaints, but I thought the last two seasons were still very good, especially season 8. I might pick season 8 as higher than seasons 5 and 7 actually, but I'm not big on absolute rankings.

Last edited by Spocktoberfest; August 6 2014 at 08:44 PM.
Spocktoberfest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2014, 11:24 PM   #281
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

Marsden wrote: View Post
Fight Club was that other episode with FPS I mentioned.
Not good.

I loved the episode with the Janaya, that was great! It had everything.

I think Dogget is great. I would have like him to be able to stick around even longer, but it's hard to do when your show is cancelled.

It depends on what you want out of X-Files. Do you want a story about agents that investigate unsolved cases that involve strange elements or do you want to see the Mulder and Scully show? I think a lot of people tuned in for the first thing and loved the characters so much it turned into the second thing. That's not a bad thing, but then having a new guy come in changes things. So, I understand some complaints, but I thought the last two seasons were still very good, especially season 8. I might pick season 8 as higher than seasons 5 and 7 actually, but I'm not big on absolute rankings.
I remember one of the first things someone told me when I started watching this series was that the Mulder/Scully relationship was more professional than sexual, and that the characters had great chemistry because of that professional relationship. In Season 7, however, that relationship was starting to trend more towards intimate, especially in the later episodes and the finale. I thought the Kiss in Millenium was nice because of the context of it, but it did start this trend of getting them closer than ever before as the season went on. With Doggett, I almost get the sense that the show needed this shake up, and we're right back where we were when it started. I don't say that as a bad thing, per say, but it is an interesting thought to finally split up the characters and see what happens. What we got in the first two episodes of the season was a welcome change from where Season 7 was going.
Old August 7 2014, 01:30 AM   #282
VST
Lieutenant Commander

To be fair to Chris Carter, he waited as long as he could to hit the inevitable point where Mulder & Scully became more than partners & friends - that was unavoidable once the alchemy of ongoing narratives, two actors with sex appeal & great chemistry & two such well drawn characters were placed in the mix. The show was richer & warmer & deeper for those elements.

That said, the earlier seasons where the characters were more professionally minded allowed for scarier tales, and S8 did manage to get back to that by blowing a huge crater in the M&S dynamic. It was just too late to shake the show up enough really to keep it on air another 8 years.
Old August 7 2014, 07:01 AM   #283
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

Roadrunners

That episode was creepy. X Files have done a lot with Cults in the series run, but this episode was actually very engaging and really interesting to watch. So far what I've liked about Doggett is while most other shows have featured heavily a new actor (Like DS9 did with Nicole DeBoar or Voyager did with Jeri Ryan), X Files seemed to allow Scully and Doggett to come together a little more naturally. Scully still hates this guy and in the last episode we saw that maybe she is starting to accept that Mulder isn't coming back. Here, I think she's finally starting to see Doggett as a partner and had to make the mistake of taking the case on her own to see that.

As for the slug, man that was disturbing seeing Scully put through that, and then when Doggett took it out, it was equally disturbing. This reminded me of early X Files creepiness.
Old August 7 2014, 01:32 PM   #284
Spocktoberfest
Captain

Roadrunners

That episode was creepy. X Files have done a lot with Cults in the series run, but this episode was actually very engaging and really interesting to watch. So far what I've liked about Doggett is while most other shows have featured heavily a new actor (Like DS9 did with Nicole DeBoar or Voyager did with Jeri Ryan), X Files seemed to allow Scully and Doggett to come together a little more naturally. Scully still hates this guy and in the last episode we saw that maybe she is starting to accept that Mulder isn't coming back. Here, I think she's finally starting to see Doggett as a partner and had to make the mistake of taking the case on her own to see that.

As for the slug, man that was disturbing seeing Scully put through that, and then when Doggett took it out, it was equally disturbing. This reminded me of early X Files creepiness.

After everything that had happened to them before, this still freaked me out. I'm not sure why, but I really go the feeling watching this that Scully might not make it, (even thought I knew she was not leaving the show), they just made the story convincing to me, the threat seemed real. Almost every show in history, you know at the begining no matter what happens that everybody will be there at the end. Yes there are some notable exceptions, but really, this one, especially the scene you refrenced, with the monster crawling in her back. I'm wincing typing this. As much as I like Mulder, and I really do, I didn't think his leaving really hurt the show. And they way he left, it actually helped the show.
Old August 7 2014, 07:07 PM   #285
ISP Zombie
Commodore

View ISP Zombie's Twitter Profile

VST wrote: View Post
To be fair to Chris Carter, he waited as long as he could to hit the inevitable point where Mulder & Scully became more than partners & friends - that was unavoidable once the alchemy of ongoing narratives, two actors with sex appeal & great chemistry & two such well drawn characters were placed in the mix. The show was richer & warmer & deeper for those elements.

That said, the earlier seasons where the characters were more professionally minded allowed for scarier tales, and S8 did manage to get back to that by blowing a huge crater in the M&S dynamic. It was just too late to shake the show up enough really to keep it on air another 8 years.
Exactly. You hit the nail on the head . He could only go on for so long with the Will they or Won't they? dance for so long before it would become a joke.