TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 18 2014, 08:49 PM   #211
FelizNavidad
Admiral

View FelizNavidad's Twitter Profile
Re: The X-Files - First Time Watching

Forbin wrote: View Post
My wife and I WERE doing an X-File rewatch - I think we got almost up to season 4 - but them we discovered Supernatural and that took over our X-Files night.
I think my issue with X Files is what a lot of people's issue currently with Orphan Black. The mythology is a big part of the series but it's coming across as confusing. There are so many elements to this mythology that in a show in the 6th season out of 9, it's hard to keep everything straight. You have alien rebels, black oil, viruses, secret organizations with multiple agendas, and through it all Mulder and Scully take a step back every time they take a step forward. The series would be better with some streamlining, like Orphan Black hopefully in the third season.

sjsharksfan39
FelizNavidad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2014, 09:11 PM   #212
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile

SJSharksfan39 wrote: View Post
Bad Blood

I've criticized X-Files for not doing comedy really well, and there was someone upthread who said keep watching, there is better comedy later in the series. I wonder if this was the episode he talked about because this one was great.
Yes, it was. One of them, at least.
Bad Blood
Kill Switch
The Post Modern Prometheus
These are 3 of my favorites too, with Kill Switch being my all time favorite of the standalones. You know that episode was written by the sci-fi writer, William Gibson. I'm also pretty fond of The Natural.
gblews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2014, 03:07 AM   #213
Coal the Elf
Commodore

View Coal the Elf's Twitter Profile

gblews wrote: View Post
Bad Blood

I've criticized X-Files for not doing comedy really well, and there was someone upthread who said keep watching, there is better comedy later in the series. I wonder if this was the episode he talked about because this one was great.
Yes, it was. One of them, at least.
Bad Blood
Kill Switch
The Post Modern Prometheus
These are 3 of my favorites too, with Kill Switch being my all time favorite of the standalones. You know that episode was written by the sci-fi writer, William Gibson. I'm also pretty fond of The Natural.
Yea those ones are pretty cool, loved Arcadia, The Unnatural, X-Cops (the gay couple had me in stitches the most though ).
Old July 19 2014, 07:14 AM   #214
Janeway's Girl
Captain

I watched the pilot for the first time a few months ago. I found it interesting but was too scared to continue.
Janeway's Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2014, 08:18 AM   #215
wulfio
Captain

Janeway's Girl wrote: View Post
I watched the pilot for the first time a few months ago. I found it interesting but was too scared to continue.
the show loses that creepy feel after a a couple seasons.
wulfio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2014, 08:21 AM   #216
FelizNavidad
Admiral

wulfio wrote: View Post
More than a couple. Home, from Season 4, is still the creepiest episode I've seen of this series.

sjsharksfan39
Old July 19 2014, 08:24 PM   #217
wulfio
Captain

More than a couple. Home, from Season 4, is still the creepiest episode I've seen of this series.
Not to say there aren't exceptions. I just found that the first 2 or 3 seasons generally had more of a horror thriller tone to them(as far as tv goes). And then the show changed gears in to political/spy thriller later on. And the final 2 seasons(especially the last season) they were running on fumes. That's just my opinion though.
Old July 20 2014, 04:20 AM   #218
Janeway's Girl
Captain

Maybe I'll give it another try one day...
Janeway's Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2014, 05:39 AM   #219
FelizNavidad
Admiral

Dreamland

Is it just me or does X Files feel really different to start Season 6. It doesn't have the tense creepiness to it last in previous seasons, instead relying on drama, tension (from an action point of view), and a little comedy. I got that sense watching this two parter, which made me wonder if I was even watching The X Files. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed these two episodes, but it doesn't feel like the same show as before. Also, I was a little perturbed at the reset button ending. The solution seemed to come out of thin air (they were running out of time) and there was no consequence.

As for the previous episodes in this season, my favorite so far is Drive. Maybe after I'm done with X Files I should watch Breaking Bad because seeing Cransten in this episode and knowing that Vince Gilligan is a supervising producer, this episode felt like the type of thing I might expect in Breaking Bad. Also, BB is on netflix too, so maybe that might be my next series.

sjsharksfan39
Old July 21 2014, 06:26 AM   #220
FelizNavidad
Admiral

How the Ghosts Stole Christmas

Best. Christmas. Episode. Ever

Ok, maybe there have been some better christmas episodes of various series I have seen, but I really enjoyed this one. It put a spin on the Haunted House theme with Christmas loneliness which, that theme I appreciated. It seems like most christmas episodes are supposed to be happy and cheery, but here it really is about the loneliness of the season. When Mulder and Scully are in the apartment opening each others' gift, I found that moment really nice. Also loved Maurice and Lyda.

sjsharksfan39
Old July 21 2014, 04:37 PM   #221
Marsden
Captain

As basic background information, Season 5 was the last season filmed in Canada, they moved to California for season 6 on.
Also, season 5 and The End were supposed to be the end, then they were just going to make movies. Of course they brought it back, but I think what you're seeing is a result of those things in real life filtering through.

Not to spoil anything, but that's not the only "last season" either.

BTW, I just finished season 9 yesterday, so I've been keeping quiet for a bit.

But now that you've seen the Movie, I want to say, the Series helps the movie, a lot, but the movie really doesn't help the series much at all. Also, with Rick Millikan growing a chestburster in the first scene, that really kind of makes the movie unnecessary, as that was the "Black Oil's" dreaded new superpower.

Also about the movie, I don't have too much to complain about, but I do have one big complaint, why did they sneak the bodies into a federal building to blow it up to cover up the bodies? What about burying them in a hole in Nevada, burning them in an incinerator, freezing them in Alaska, or about 15 other things they could have done to cover it up better than calling everyones attention to it by blowing up a building?

To sum it up so far, first four seasons were a show that's pretty consistent, season 5 seemed like they were trying to go out with a bunch of highlights and weren't as worried about consistnecy, with 2 flashback episodes out of a 20 episode season, plus the other style episodes, like post modern prometheus. I mean, it's very popular, but did it even happen? Or was it a story in that guy's comic book? There's a history that a character goes through that when you see a subsequent adventure, you know that they've experienced it. Like in Tooms when it refers to Squeeze. So, can they refer back to what happened in Post Modern Prometheus, or was it a "pretend story"? That's my biggest complaint with it. It's not bad, and really well acted, but not one of my favorites.

Another strange thing, but this is a personal observation of memory more that the show itself, I started with the pilot, didn't recognize too much of the 1st half of the 1st season, but then I started remembering seeing the episodes last half and consistently through 2 and 3 and first part of the fourth season, I read that right about the time my memory faulters is when it moved from Fridays to Sunday. In my mind, I remember watching X-Files every week, but I guess that's wrong, because most of season four was all new to me after the first 5 or so. And I only remembered 2 episodes of Season 5. All the rest were completely new to me. Funny, the 2 I remember were the 3rd episode, "Unusual Suspects" with the start of the Lone Gunmen, and the 2nd to last one with the Monster that runs the telemarketing company. I don't understand it, but there it is. I'm happy I've gotten to see them all, now.
We've taken care of everything, the words you hear the songs you sing, the pictures that give pleasure to your eyes. It's one for all and all for one, we work together common sons, never need to wonder how or why.
Marsden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2014, 06:44 PM   #222
FelizNavidad
Admiral

Maybe this is coming up and the things will start to connect, but I still don't entirely understand the Black Oil's purpose. Originally it was supposed to take over the host body, or at least that's what we saw happen to Krychek in the Silo. Now it's a Virus that incubates an alien in the host, a la Alien? It seemed like that black stuff changed concepts in about 3 seasons and a movie. I read that this was one of the more popular "alien" concepts in the show so maybe I'm missing something, but how did it go from taking over the host, to black cancer, and then to Alien chest bursting virus?

sjsharksfan39
Old July 21 2014, 07:22 PM   #223
wulfio
Captain

Maybe this is coming up and the things will start to connect, but I still don't entirely understand the Black Oil's purpose. Originally it was supposed to take over the host body, or at least that's what we saw happen to Krychek in the Silo. Now it's a Virus that incubates an alien in the host, a la Alien? It seemed like that black stuff changed concepts in about 3 seasons and a movie. I read that this was one of the more popular "alien" concepts in the show so maybe I'm missing something, but how did it go from taking over the host, to black cancer, and then to Alien chest bursting virus?
My guess is either focus groups, or producers saying "durr, lets make something really cool and scary"
Old July 21 2014, 09:31 PM   #224
Coal the Elf
Commodore

View Coal the Elf's Twitter Profile

My guess is either focus groups, or producers saying "durr, lets make something really cool and scary"
Or from CC not having a show bible . The whole mythology is f-d up . Not the easiest to keep track of.
Old July 21 2014, 09:45 PM   #225
RoJoHen
Awesome

I read that this was one of the more popular "alien" concepts in the show so maybe I'm missing something, but how did it go from taking over the host, to black cancer, and then to Alien chest bursting virus?
The Black Oil isn't entirely consistent, but I think you can make it work if you apply some imagination.

The Black Oil we see early on is intelligent and knows what it's doing. It's working with Smoking Man and his allies (who also happen to be the alien colonists) to achieve a goal.

The Black Oil found in Texas is wild. It's been lying dormant for thousands of years, so as soon as it infects a host, it starts to take over. It instinctually gestates into an alien lifeform.

The Syndicate has made a deal with the alien colonists to allow the Black Oil to infect humanity (we learn this in the movie from What's-His-Face who blows himself up in the car). The Black Oil was merely intended to turn humanity into a slave race (a la Krycek). He even says, "Imagine our surprise when it began to gestate."

The wild Black Oil in Texas didn't know it wasn't supposed to gestate yet.

Meanwhile, behind the backs of the Alien Colonists, the Syndicate has been working on a vaccine against the Black Oil so that humanity would have a defense once colonization begins, which is how Mulder was able to save Scully in Antarctica.